Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inside alarm chime sounds when I'm driving

LyndaA

I have a 2016 Aygo X play manual gearbox. Very infrequently the internal alarm would sound whilst I was driving but now since having a full service this alarm sounds on every journey. There is no warning light coming up on the dash but as I need to stop the alarm continues until I put the handbrake on. The warning light then shows but goes out once I release the handbrake. Usually that's all I need do for the rest of the journey but sometimes it happens again and is driving me crazy, leaving me waiting for it to go again and unsure about making longer journeys. Is there anyone who can advise please as I have taken it back to the garage and they can't seem to fix this. Thanks

Hi Lynn and welcome to the board. :biggrin:

This might sound a bit obvious or daft but you haven't put a bag or something on the passenger seat have you?  It sounds a bit like the seat belt alarm which "pings" constantly over about 5mph and is triggered when some weight is on the passenger seat to say that the seat belt hasn't been fastened.

Like I say, it might be a bit obvious but it's a thought and it might just help.

Anyway best of luck in sorting the problem and all the best, :thumbsup:

Many thanks Neil, I have read about this problem so I've been making a point of not putting my bag on the passenger seat. Having said that I tend to keep the the passenger seat belt on when I drive without a passenger purely because the clip rattles against the side of the door.  The fact that the chime stops when I apply the handbrake makes me think it's the handbrake that's the cause of the problem. But, maybe not.... cars, eh?

Brake warning light: 

download.jpg.52ff84034aca989fda6db05cf5c6992b.jpg

Does it come on when you pull the hand brake?

Then does it goes away when you release the hand brake?

Yes, the warning light comes on once I pull the handbrake as it should and the chime stops. The light goes out once I release the handbrake and drive off. The chime just starts on its own accord while I'm driving. I pull over to one side and stop with the chime still going and it only stops when I put the handbrake on.

Hi again Lynn,

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but you say that the passenger seat belt is fastened in normal driving with just you in the car, correct?

If that's the case then the seat belt warning might be getting mixed messages...."Ooh look, the seat belt is fastened but there's nobody there, I'll just bong away to be sure".  Look, I have no idea if that's the case but as far as I know after having my Aygo from new for 12 years now, there are only two "bing", "chime" or "ping" warnings.  One is for low fuel and the other is for seat belts.  I might be wrong but that's all that I have ever experienced.

Try unclipping the seat belt and cushioning the clip to stop it rattling and annoying you, failing that, hope that @flash22 spots this thread as he is a genius when it comes to car electrics and has helped many, many people on here.....A proper good guy!

Anyway, good luck! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Thanks for that suggestion, I will certainly try that once I get it back from the garage.  Cheers

if it's a 5 door make sure the back doors and tailgate are shut properly, does it do it with a passenger in the car ?

make sure you have nothing wedged up under the seats

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply, it's five door and I usually drive alone so I'm the only one that hears the chime! Hope the garage doesn't think I am the crazy woman who hears things because, of course, it doesn't happen when they drive it around. Intermittent faults are just the worst.

As Neil sugest,

Just maybe the car disagrees with a fastend seat belt without the door itself opening and closing..

If it still a problem after that try handbrake switch just a felt pad if you can see it to push the pin down just a touch more as it maybe failing or a replacment micro switch.

• Like 1

Hi Derek, not being in the least technically minded, when you say the handbrake switch?? Is this hidden out of sight for my mechanic to deal with, nothing to do with the handbrake button? Sorry to sound so thick. I collected my car yesterday and drove home with no problem, they had run a full diagnostic check as well as driving it around over the 2 days they had it but couldn't find a fault. If it happens again then you suggest they replace this micro switch? Thanks again to all replies.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:34 AM, LyndaA said:

I have a 2016 Aygo X play manual gearbox. Very infrequently the internal alarm would sound whilst I was driving but now since having a full service this alarm sounds on every journey. There is no warning light coming up on the dash but as I need to stop the alarm continues until I put the handbrake on. The warning light then shows but goes out once I release the handbrake. Usually that's all I need do for the rest of the journey but sometimes it happens again and is driving me crazy, leaving me waiting for it to go again and unsure about making longer journeys. Is there anyone who can advise please as I have taken it back to the garage and they can't seem to fix this. Thanks

Do you put a heavy handbag on the passenger seat, thus triggering the alarm for an occupied seat with no seat belt engaged?

No,  handbag always in the footwell. Seatbelt will not be engaged now and I'll see what that does.

Hi Lynn,

First of all, you don't sound thick....These annoying and head-scratching problems happen to all of us and that is precisely what this board is for.  We have all been helped by others with our problems and questions and so we , sort of, pay it back by trying to get to the bottom of things like this.

I hope that we have helped and this chiming doesn't come back but another thought I had was a loose connector under the seat.  There are two, one for the air bags and one for the seat belt sensor.  Don't go rooting about under the seats for now, just see how you get on now that you've got the car back.

Like you, so rightly say...."Cars, eh?":biggrin:

Keep us informed and let's hope it's sorted.

All the best. :thumbsup:

Thanks again Neil, I bear this in mind if it comes back, fingers crossed they may have sorted it. Cheers 🤞

• Like 1

Hi Linn, intermitent faults are always difficult to trace, yes the switch will be out of view so if it was me I just put a new switch in and try that.

Ok thanks Derek, let's see if the garage has sorted me out but if not another avenue to try, many thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links