Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Aygo is killing starter motors

RG H

A month ago my Aygo started making a terrible clattering noise whilst running - I ran 4 miles home with the noise and then parked up at home. Next the car wouldn't start at all - no click.

We changed the starter motor (putting in a Lucus one from Halfords) and all was good... until 10 days later and the same happened again - terrible clattering noise, engine and controls otherwise normal - ran for a few hundred yards and pulled up - next found starter was dead - no click etc. I was stranded and got a tow to a garage.

Now the garage have changed the starter motor (Bosch this time) but can't find any other evidence of the fault. Car has been taken up the road for a run - everything seems fine.

I've lost all confidence in the car and am considering parting with it. Has anyone else experienced this - and know why it happened?

The Aygo is 1.1 petrol 2007. Usually only does short runs - last longer run (about 20-30 miles) was just before these problems started. (2 months ago did a 100 mile run).

I'd be checking the ignition switch / key barrel isn't sticking in the start position when the key is turned.

• Like 2

Thanks forkingabout. Unfortunately the second time I drove about quarter of a mile before the noise came on - so prob not that. 

The operation of a starter is fairly simple:

When the key is turned to ignition, power is sent to the starter solenoid.  The solenoid is basically a relay that closes the circuit on the starter motor.  When that happens, a gear attached to the starter will extends, engage the teeth at the side of the flywheel and spin at the same time.  

When you release the key from the ignition position, the solenoid disengages, power will be lose at the motor, the gear that drives the flywheel will retract.

Now, the crunching sound is basically the solenoid got an ignition signal.  The gear inside the starter extends and engages a moving flywheel.  When that happens, the starter will die very quickly.

Since this event happened twice to 2 different starter, it generally points toward an ignition fault (at the key barrel) OR some wire (relating to ignition) is intermittingly shorting to ground.

P.S.  I agree with the recommendation above.  I would definitely start with the key barrel.

• Like 1

Thank you i'll start looking into that now, I was also looking for a starter relay to check that as well but I'm finding conflicting info over the existence of said relay in the aygo, can you confirm whether there is one or not? Also any help on how to check for the 2 issues you mentioned would be appreciated

Lucas is cheap reman junk out of China/India it's just a brand name (Halfords parts are supplied by ECP iirc), what was the cause of the failure? any smell of burning?

• Like 1

Any half-decent mechanic would be able to give you a rough post mortem of the starter motor. Burned out and no continuity or chewed up starter gear and bearing. 

If the noise reoccurs, stop the car as soon as possible. Driving with that noise will quickly kill the motor. As others have said, the problem is probably not the starter motor but something in the car that hasn't been replaced yet (e.g. the ignition key barrel).

Aygo is a very popular car and generally consider reliable. The 1KR-FE engine in the Aygo is used in many different models and makes of cars and probably sold in the millions. I wouldn't say this is a common problem and by no means specific to the Aygo. 

• Like 2

in a 1.0 1krfe, manual car there is no starter relay the starter motor solenoid is triggered directly from the ignition switch - you either have a bad ignition switch or barrel, both are 1 unit on the Aygo, or you have a wiring issue at the plug that comes off the switch

df36d387909bb20c38514f80d75125dd.png

• Like 2

One question - do you have any additional keys or key rings attached to the vehicles ignition key?

• Like 1

forkingabout Thank you for the question re keys - Yes. I do have a small keyfob, garage and house key on the key ring. 

flash22 Ignition switch/barrel or wiring sounds likely. Thank you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RG H said:

forkingabout Thank you for the question re keys - Yes. I do have a small keyfob, garage and house key on the key ring. 

This additional weight hanging from the vehicles key can increase wear on the ignition barrel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Lucas is cheap reman junk out of China/India it's just a brand name (Halfords parts are supplied by ECP iirc), what was the cause of the failure? any smell of burning?

Flash22 thank you. No smell of burning. Just a loud rattling noise during the last journey before the starter was obviously dead. (I didn't drive very far tho')

27 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

This additional weight hanging from the vehicles key can increase wear on the ignition barrel. 

Thank you. Currently considering replacing Ignition barrel. Would like to trace all the related wiring and be sure of that. But one thing at a time I guess.

I had a key barrel issue with a Honda Jazz, fortunately it was a more simple problem of the key just not pulling out when I stopped and turned off the engine. Had to pay £500 to replace the barrel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Aye, it's a good idea to keep a big heavy weight of house keys off the car keys I think, irrespective of any problems 

Just the car key and fob in the barrel I think is best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

I had a key barrel issue with a Honda Jazz, fortunately it was a more simple problem of the key just not pulling out when I stopped and turned off the engine. Had to pay £500 to replace the barrel.

Poor you! That sounds expensive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links