Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery ruined?

cahi01

Forgot the parking light on for 24 hours. It drained the Battery. It is a realativly new one.

Is the Battery ruined? 

Or does Toyota have a Battery drainage function that turns off the light under a certain voltage?

If you charge it right back up you may get away with it, but the longer it's left at anything other than 100% charged the more it will degrade.

I'm surprised the Battery would drain from just the sidelights being on though - I left my sidelights on all day once in my Yaris (Of the kind that spawned a massive 12v Battery problem thread! :eek: :laugh: ), but it was fine. However, mine has LED sidelights so the power draw probably wasn't too high - If yours are normal bulbs and the Battery was already old then maybe that'd explain it, but in that case a new battery might be a better idea anyway...

• Like 5

If you made a regular habit of draining it, that would possibly have an impact.

Connect it to a charger - if you have one - and it should be okay.

CTEK chargers have good reviews, if you need to buy one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I'm surprised the battery would drain from just the sidelights being on though

4 x 5W x 24h = 40Ah.

• Like 2

Leave it on the charger for at least 12 hours. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MikeSh said:

4 x 5W x 24h = 40Ah.

Dont forget the licence plate lights too - there are 2 on the 2016 Yaris, and the dash / instrument cluster lighting too

Without the dash lighting would be 6 X 5W bulbs = 30W, times that by 24 Hours = 720W draw. Divide that by the voltage of 12V = 60Ah, plus the dash lights, say an extra 30W, that would be 120Ah.  The average car Battery is usually around 50Ah, so it would be very easy to deplete the car Battery by leaving the side lights on.

Back in the olden days, cars used to have parking light setting that turned on just 2 external lights - usually on the drivers side, front and back of the car, so it would only draw 10W, which would take 20Ah to run for 24 hours, so that would not deplete a normal Battery.

I would charge the battery back up with a battery charger, rather than jump starting it and relying on a short drive for the alternator to charge the battery, which would take over an hour's drive. However, once a battery has been allowed to fully discharge, its capacity will diminish, as lead acid batteries do not like being run totally flat.

• Like 2

The Battery will not be dead, I have just recharged a 97amp/hour Battery which was only showing 4.2volts, you will need a decent charger. With my pulse charger I recharged the Battery back to full life, even got the little green dot to light again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Back in the olden days, cars used to have parking light setting that turned on just 2 external lights - usually on the drivers side, front and back of the car,

My Merc, park then indicate left or right and that determined which side light worked.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Xanadu_999 said:

CTEK chargers have good reviews, if you need to buy one.

I’ve owned a couple of CTEK chargers over the years and they are THE best in my opinion 

CTEK’s aren’t cheap but they are worth every penny and can even recover a Battery, if necessary, from being completely dead.  The CTEK motorcycle Battery charger I used had to do that on more than one occasion and brought it back to as good as new 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

New drain risk? -Battery ran down o'night when camping with keys in tent less than 3m away. Yes, 1 ceiling light in rear MAY have been on ( tinted glass obscures it), ..But could the built-in car-key function to welcome your approach have accelerated draining?

• Like 1

Agree with the above, a good 12 - 18 hour charge will get it back to more or less as normal. Don't be tempted to just jump start the car and "run it for 20 minutes", that really does not get sufficient charge (amps) into a Battery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roamingrod said:

New drain risk? -Battery ran down o'night when camping with keys in tent less than 3m away. Yes, 1 ceiling light in rear MAY have been on ( tinted glass obscures it), ..But could the built-in car-key function to welcome your approach have accelerated draining?

Battery will not be affecting by key at distance 3 meters or more and when you are in the car seated there is no problem the key is in or around. 
The car will detect the key when locked and you are a meter away or less. The interior lights will go off automatically after 30 min if any door been left open for extended period of time. If you had a drained Battery while camping it will be as a result of something else. , old Battery, bad cell, not properly charged before because of lack of use etc.  Recharge your battery with smart charger for 10 hrs and see if it will hold any charge afterwards, if not just buy a new one. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, Bowruss said:

OOPs  - just seen a later post on this.  Apparently a quickish entral in out foot movement does the biz..

To Tony HSD. Battery, after was jump started recharged fine on tye road. Still a mystery. I still suspect as keys were less than 2m from car all night, car could have reacted as if we were coming to greet it, and so, lit up, ... Yet.....did not see lights from 3 brief nocturnal exits from tent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roamingrod said:

still suspect as keys were less than 2m from car all night, car could have reacted as if we were coming to greet it, and so, lit up, ... Yet.....did not see lights from 3 brief nocturnal exits from tent. 

In future turn the key(s) off* before retiring. 

* Hold lock button and double press the unlock. The led should flash twice and twice. Next time you want to unlock just use the unlock button on the fob which will also turn the proximity sensing and keyless entry back on. (This is a key only thing, not the car, so if you have both keys with you (eg. one each) you need to turn both off.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeSh said:

turn the key(s) off* before retiring. 

Also useful on the car wash 🙂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links