Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge not going down

Juedan2011

Hi

I've just bought a used Yaris hybrid on a 21 plate and filled the tank up with petrol and driven about 80 miles and the gauge hasn't gone down.

Still showing 8 blue bars.

The miles to go to fill up correspond with the miles I've done but the fuel gauge isn't dropping.

This is my first hybrid and I'm currently on 78mpg

It had 2 bars when I got the car and then filled it up about a week ago.

Is there an issue or does it move after so many miles?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Juedan2011 said:

Hi

I've just bought a used Yaris hybrid on a 21 plate and filled the tank up with petrol and driven about 80 miles and the gauge hasn't gone down.

Still showing 8 blue bars.

The miles to go to fill up correspond with the miles I've done but the fuel gauge isn't dropping.

This is my first hybrid and I'm currently on 78mpg

It had 2 bars when I got the car and then filled it up about a week ago.

Is there an issue or does it move after so many miles?

I think you will find it takes more than 80 miles for the first bar to disappear from the fuel gauge 

It does the same thing on my Prius

• Like 5

Yep, it's the same with most cars

• Like 1

I can do 100 miles before the gauge drops 1 bar after that it goes down much quicker.

• Like 7

All depends on the shape of your petrol tank. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

I can do 100 miles before the gauge drops 1 bar after that it goes down much quicker.

Same here

• Like 1

Congratulations on purchasing a MK4 Yaris hybrid, it's a fantastic car. You might have purchase a secret special edition one where fuel is unlimited 😁, just kidding, what everyone else said above 🙃

• Haha 7

It's normal - In most Toyotas with the digital fuel gauge instead of analogue dial, you can do over 100miles before the first block disappears, but sadly the rest tend to go faster after that.

It's partly because the tanks are slightly V-shaped but the fuel senders (*still*) haven't been calibrated to take this into account as they just read how high the fuel level is in the tank and not actually how much fuel is left.

That said the newer ones aren't as bad as some of the older models (In my old Mk2 Yaris, the first 2 blocks really represented half the tank, and the other 6 the remaining half!! :eek: )

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

but the fuel senders (*still*) haven't been calibrated to take this into account

It's such an easy thing to do these days that I think it's deliberate. Makes sense as the time to catch people's attention is when the tank is nearer empty than full. (The low light is the "Wake up you dozy half-wit" point.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ninanina said:

I think you will find it takes more than 80 miles for the first bar to disappear from the fuel gauge 

It's the same in my Corolla.  Perfectly normal.

• Like 1

Thank you all I'll see if it drops anytime soon since I'm close to 100 miles 👍

Came from a nissan juke where the bars moved more or less instantly

Interesting about the shape of the fuel tank 

You’d need some fancy electronics to calibrate a plastic float on the end of a bit of welding rod to compensate for the shape of a plastic tank moulded to the shape of a floorpan, stop it Cyker.  

julie.  It’s using the fuel in the neck and the top of the tank before it begins to show on your gauge.  It gives the impossible impression that one half is bigger than the other but it’s normal.  The gauge is only a guide and things get a bit more exciting as you get nearer the empty mark.  Don’t be concerned about it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Juedan2011 said:

Came from a nissan juke

Posh name for Renault Crapture.   Hallelujah, you’ve seen the light!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great, just thought there was something wrong 

Just got the car and rounded up to the next £1 when I heard the 'click' so thought I'd got the float stuck 😜

1 minute ago, anchorman said:

Posh name for Renault Crapture.   Hallelujah, you’ve seen the light!

Ha yes I have 😆 first time in an automatic too after driving manual for 30 years 

Love it ..sold as soon as I test drove the Yaris.

Love the score at the end of a drive too 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Juedan2011 said:

rounded up to the next £1 when I heard the 'click' so thought I'd got the float stuck 

Lots of reasons why you should not refuel beyond the first click.   I have forgotten apart from dont do it.  Someone here will explain.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's normal - In most Toyotas with the digital fuel gauge instead of analogue dial, you can do over 100miles before the first block disappears, but sadly the rest tend to go faster after that.

Exactly as I found with the 2010 Auris:

In fact a couple of weeks ago I pushed that to around 180 miles for the first bar to go out. Eeeeh 🙂

These days its purely a software thing, they can calibrate it how they like. I think even the old Carina II and Carina E with its analogue gauge were well on the way to being like this. You could drive for miles before it moved and a full tank always put the gauge a way over the full mark.

An early Audi A4 with analogue gauge is the one car I've had where the gauge was as near 100% linear as you could get. It began to drop with as few as 15 miles from full but was impressive in its linearity. You knew almost to the litre at any point from empty to full how much you would get in the tank. If you accounted for parallax error reading the needle it was dead on 1/1 when full and with a 60? litre tank if it was dead on 1/4 you got exactly 45 litres in. Same accuracy at any point over the full range.

Toyota gauges seem more logarithmic than linear to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Lots of reasons why you should not refuel beyond the first click.   I have forgotten apart from dont do it.  Someone here will explain.  

Yeah I think I've seen on another thread 👍 1st click it is then regardless of the pennies on the end 😆

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Not wishing to contracept but I don’t think that applies any more as they’ve protected against it.  If it does, mine’s ruined because I always eke out the last drop before it dribbles out of the filler to gain maximum range.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Juedan2011 said:

Ha yes I have 😆 first time in an automatic too after driving manual for 30 years 

Love it ..sold as soon as I test drove the Yaris.

Love the score at the end of a drive too 👍

That's a long time in manuals. I'm about 50% each on manual and auto, which is over 20 years in total. Auto all the way now. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Not wishing to contracept but I don’t think that applies any more as they’ve protected against it.  If it does, mine’s ruined because I always eke out the last drop before it dribbles out of the filler to gain maximum range.  

I think the Car Care Nut had something on this.

How much more fuel do you up in after the first click?

Fixed or not, I don't know.

• Like 1

On Google there are lots of advice similar to that below:

If you ignore the first click you could be filling past the top of the fuel tank port, and that extra fuel will end up running into the small drain under the entry and onto the ground beneath your vehicle. “On some pumps the extra fuel may be sucked back into the pipe.3 Oct 2022

The bottom line is that topping off your car is dangerous to you and your car, and may cause problems. Your best bet is to stop pumping when the fuel pump clicks off.2 Oct 2023

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Ooh, I just round to the nearest pound....not the next £10 😆 scared it will come out over me shoes 😜

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

On Google there are lots of advice similar to that below:

If you ignore the first click you could be filling past the top of the fuel tank port, and that extra fuel will end up running into the small drain under the entry and onto the ground beneath your vehicle. “On some pumps the extra fuel may be sucked back into the pipe.3 Oct 2022

The bottom line is that topping off your car is dangerous to you and your car, and may cause problems. Your best bet is to stop pumping when the fuel pump clicks off.2 Oct 2023

Oooh 🤔

15 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

That's a long time in manuals. I'm about 50% each on manual and auto, which is over 20 years in total. Auto all the way now. 

Yeah and driven a lot of cars over those years and some white vans 😆

First ever time on manual and I love it. .so much easier ..the car drives itself

Loved the dodgems when I was younger ...just turn the wheel and let it down its own thing ..and even more with the safety lane assist thingy ...who needs a Tesla when you got a Toyota 😆

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links