Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge not going down

Juedan2011

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

Compounded by age and made exponentially worse by modern wokeness.  I’ve started growling like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.  

Blimey anchorman, I didn't realise you had film star looks.

Your photo looks just like Clint.

Btw, great film that one, I thought.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, anchorman said:

I was lay under the things with ice cold diesel running down my arm.  

I remember the days in really cold winters where they lit fires under lorry fuel tanks to warm the waxed fuel, getting it to flow, it was a regular occurrence before the M56, lorries used to run past my house on the A41 day and night down to Birmingham, long before additives to stop that happening, imagine it today  😂😂

I have never seen a fault with a damaged charcoal filter by overfilling, not saying it cannot happen but I reckon it is rare, I have worked on and with Toyota cars since 1977, I know........I don't look that old 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Can you remember the lines of stopped wagons on the A1 with small fires 🔥 under the fuel tank to de-wax the diesel during the really bad winters 🥶.

Sorry old boy, I have literally just posted what you said, great minds eh? 👏👏

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Sorry old boy, I have literally just posted what you said, great minds eh? 👏👏

Ah,no worries Kingo.

I would imagine a few of the people here will have seen the same a good few years ago 😉.

One thing I do remember from personal experience though,in that freeze up in the winter of 1980-1981 I think it was, I lived out in the sticks then.

I had an old triumph vitesse, and after repeated freeze thaw freeze,the roads there were like corrugated iron, with re frozen lumps of snow.

So every time I set off to work,the plug leads would jump off the plugs with the vibration, that was fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, anchorman said:

I was lay under the things with ice cold diesel running down my arm.  

A bit uncomfortable that, were you a wagon driver back then?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

A bit uncomfortable that, were you a wagon driver back then?

No, I served my time as a mechanic at a company that ran trucks.  We were in a yard in the bottom of a steep sided valley by the river and it seemed to defy physics and freeze before any other part of the town.  On really cold days I’d spend the day chasing after Fodens that had got less than a mile and the filter had plugged with waxed diesel.  The primary filter was really exposed on the chassis and the only way to get them going was to crawl under and remove the filter element which was almost impossible without it running up your arm.   If the weather stayed cold, you’d do it all again the following day.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah,no worries Kingo.

I would imagine a few of the people here will have seen the same a good few years ago 😉.

One thing I do remember from personal experience though,in that freeze up in the winter of 1980-1981 I think it was, I lived out in the sticks then.

I had an old triumph vitesse, and after repeated freeze thaw freeze,the roads there were like corrugated iron, with re frozen lumps of snow.

So every time I set off to work,the plug leads would jump off the plugs with the vibration, that was fun.

I was doing a lot of recovery work then, cars that got stuck in snow overnight then welded themselves to the ground with ice, absolutely freezing out in the countryside. There wasn't much in the way of protective clothing as I remember, the best thing I owned was one of those Donkey jackets I "coughs" borrowed from my mate who worked in the local council depot. :naughty: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

The primary filter was really exposed on the chassis and the only way to get them going was to crawl under and remove the filter element which was almost impossible without it running up your arm.   If the weather stayed cold, you’d do it all again the following day.  

Tough old job then, I can also remember in my bricklaying days lighting fires in the sand heap, and behind each spot board (the square of plywood that the mortar was used from) in freezing conditions to make it usable.

In later years though, working in Denmark there was anti freeze in the mortar and concrete in sub zero conditions.

On one site in Viborg, aswell as freezing,a bit of a gale whipped up, and a whole flank wall about 30m long started waving around, we all scrambled off the scaffold just before the whole lot came down, bringing the scaffold with it.

I do wonder how the office workers who find 5 days in a nice warm room a bit much, would cope with conditions like those that you and I worked in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

the best thing I owned was one of those Donkey jackets I "coughs" borrowed from my mate who worked in the local council depot. :naughty: 

Aye, they got a bit heavy when drenched didn't they.

And my missus at the time was not too impressed either, when I bought her one and told her it was a real fur coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/12/2024 at 12:53 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ahh how things come full circle... it's (technically) summer but some of my routes to work are like that :laugh: 

25 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ahh how things come full circle... it's (technically) summer but some of my routes to work are like that :laugh: 

Aye,a funny summer up here too in thar be witches land.

I am currently sat sitting here watching the rain roll down the windows taking with it streaks of dust from the urban dystopia of burnt out cars and shredded plastic sportswear discarded by the criminal types.

A Nor'westerly blowing in , bringing with it the rubbish and detritus of neglect ,fast food wrappers, plastic bags and empty cans of monster.

Still, could be worse.😉

• Haha 2

That was very Tolkien-esque, albeit more urban wasteland than leafy forests. You should be a writer!! :laugh: 

I can just see it... Lord of the (Beer can) Rings, where Freddo the Hubby goes on an adventure with his mates Geddorrf Mah Lawn the crotchety old neighbour, Sam what works at Greggs, Borrow More the gambling addict, Gimme the shorter gambling addict, and Leggy Lass the 'Elf service nurse

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I can just see it...

It sounds like you really can see it.. apart from a couple of 'em working of course.

You haven't been visiting relatives up here have you?

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links