Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Cross - noise

Chas G

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Aaa, the roads surfaces in uk are simply horrible. No matter what car you drive if you take that car in Spain or Bulgaria or any other EU country you will be pleasantly surprised how much quieter is your car. In England the road network looks more like an Afghan motorway in the high mountains. And lately around London particularly Hertfordshire the grass verges and hedges aren’t trimmed since last year , roads look like a jungle and almost impossible to see other road users approaching roundabouts and junctions. It’s just bad times we live in. And the potholes, this is just unbelievable. 

I drove in france a couple of years ago and on the journey from the tunnel to paris i said to the other half “why are our motorways not as smooth as this”.

also as @TonyHSD said MUCH better road surfaces than UK. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Some of Y C comes equipped with these as standard, he sport, excel trims. 

Which I have now but I read in Toyota that the new Excel will have Falken.   Premiere and Design I think the same but not Falken. 

• Like 1

My YC has the original Goodyear tyres and I have been monitoring them very closely and I noticed that when driving, the noise varies considerably depending on the road surface and to be honest, it's the loudest road noise I have noticed in all the cars I have owned.

In the UK they seem to just lay any old crap.  When on a motorway it's ridiculous how many times the road surfaces change.

I'll definitely not buy the same Goodyears that are currently on my YC.

So, I'll be doing my research nearer the time of change.  For me along with the lowest dB level, it must be a all round year tyre and have the best stopping in wet and dry.  A big ask, but that's what I want.

• Like 1

When I read a post like this which concludes with the OP declaring they will just wait until later and buy something else, I’m inclined to think that was always going to be the case with some justification for doing it - why not just do it?  We’ve discussed internal noise many times on this forum and some of us have tackled it with internal dampening.   If you walk round a Cross and tap the panels with your finger ends, you’ll find it sounds like a tin can.  Just like brake pads, the emphasis on tyres has shifted from life (Michelin X is a prime example) to meeting the requirements of legislation so most of them are going to sound similar (around 70db +/- 2) on rougher road surfaces and that is going to cause the tin panels to resonate at times.   You can deaden them if you have the mind to and it makes a big difference.  Some summer tyres have a much lower internal noise but they can be woeful at the first hint of snow or you can do what you were always going to do and change to something else when your PCP is up.  Meanwhile, when you’ve gone, others will be arriving here having just come from a n other gushing with delight about escaping the other brand.  Shut the door on your way out 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When comparing the noise from a previous car to the current one it is entirely subjective.   It is also subject to confirmation bias.  If you like the new car it will be quieter 😄

Certainly if you go from a cheap Toyota to an expensive Jaguàr then it will undoubtedly be, and sound, quieter.

They only way you are going to know that the tyres/wheels of one YC and another are different is with a decibel meter.

At random I looked at Amazon,  here is one, under £20, and would probably turn a salesman white if you said "you drive" and git your meter out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadrim-Digital-Portable-Decibel-Included/dp/B01NBH5BOA/ref=asc_df_B01NBH5BOA/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271967412945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4203654372162831714&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006745&hvtargid=pla-331797637871&psc=1&mcid=5fbb71f31b1d3228bc2c0b4264ce48cd

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

When I read a post like this which concludes with the OP declaring they will just wait until later and buy something else, I’m inclined to think that was always going to be the case with some justification for doing it - why not just do it?  We’ve discussed internal noise many times on this forum and some of us have tackled it with internal dampening.   If you walk round a Cross and tap the panels with your finger ends, you’ll find it sounds like a tin can.  Just like brake pads, the emphasis on tyres has shifted from life (Michelin X is a prime example) to meeting the requirements of legislation so most of them are going to sound similar (around 70db +/- 2) on rougher road surfaces and that is going to cause the tin panels to resonate at times.   You can deaden them if you have the mind to and it makes a big difference.  Some summer tyres have a much lower internal noise but they can be woeful at the first hint of snow or you can do what you were always going to do and change to something else when your PCP is up.  Meanwhile, when you’ve gone, others will be arriving here having just come from a n other gushing with delight about escaping the other brand.  Shut the door on your way out 👍

I have a simple answer to part of your feedback...I simply cannot afford to go out and buy four new tyres after just buying a reasonably expensive car, hence I'll have to wait unfortunately until my current tyres need legally replacing.😭

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 152bobby said:

I have a simple answer to part of your feedback...I simply cannot afford to go out and buy four new tyres after just buying a reasonably expensive car, hence I'll have to wait unfortunately until my current tyres need legally replacing.😭

I wasn’t insisting you did Bobby.  It was a suggestion to the OP if he’s interested in solving it.  

• Like 1

@anchorman thank you for your response. Just for clarity:-

1. If I could resolve the noise problem I would. It puts me off driving on the motorway and doing the things I would normally do during the summer months. I had hoped that someone would say they had changed to "xx" tyres and the noise was dramatically reduced.

2. I don't have PCP. I only buy what I can afford with cash.

3. If I decide to change,  the reason for delay is that I am retired and my income isn't what it once was. Also a one year old Lexus LBX might be a consideration if reviews are good after it has been on the market for a year or so.

I do though have an investment which matures later this year and the interest will make up most of the shortfall when I trade it in.

As for the comment "Shut the door on your way out", my neice was married to a sheep farmer who was short on manners too.

Have a nice day. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's a good video on here somewhere and on YouTube about someone spending a fair bit of cash at John Klies in Reading and got his/her YC totally soundproofed.

• Thanks 1

Bobby, very true, anything is possible given the money.   Really a cost/benefit analysis.   As Chas said, his money, his choice.

Years ago I would do lots of tweaks such as adding relay operated QH headlight bulbs vice directly connected Tungsten.   Subjectively they were much brighter and I kept that car for a few years.

Now less able physically I prefer to change to a newer car more frequently.

42 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

There's a good video on here somewhere and on YouTube about someone spending a fair bit of cash at John Klies in Reading and got his/her YC totally soundproofed.

Thanks I will have a look.

9 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Thanks I will have a look.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

Shut the door on your way out

He can't

others will be arriving here having just come from a n other

It's a revolving door.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don, maybe the OP regarding the noise levels will help other people make an informed decision before buying a Yaris Cross, "tin can" being another  

• Like 2

In fairness, the YC is, IMO, not a motorway cruiser, it's a town car suitable for occasional motorway use. If you want a quiet motorway cruiser you really need a much bigger saloon car, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. 

• Like 4

Just now, Benzowner said:

In fairness, the YC is, IMO, not a motorway cruiser, it's a town car suitable for occasional motorway use. If you want a quiet motorway cruiser you really need a much bigger saloon car, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. 

I swapped my 1 year old Aygo X Cross to my current YC, believe me, when you have done that, the YC is so much more solid and luxurious.  I have had Lexus RXs in the past, so I REALLY know what luxurious feels like 😄

• Like 6

I haven’t tried Yaris cross yet but I did test drive Corolla excel and this car was a strange mixture of very well build and insulated car with one exception  - very loud rear tyres noise. This I felt straight after I drove of the dealer at low speeds like 20mph. It felt like there is a hole in the rear arches or floor pan. At higher speeds the rear tyres noise also amplified. It was much worse than my Auris 2010. In direct comparison between both cars the Corolla is much quieter in terms of engine, exhaust, wind, outside noise, but the tyre noise , it’s a joke. Lately been testing some other cars and I was surprised to find that the quietest of all cars was the Chinese electric BYD Atto 3. This thing up to 40mph on any road surfaces is as quiet as Bentley or s class. No joke. There is no outside noise, you can’t even hear the cars or people passing next to you. The car has heavy and solid doors with a lot of rubber seals on them. A lot of soft touch mats in the interior. Soft touch roof lining and carpets in the boot. 

For the tyres those that makes significant difference in road noise are the V shaped all season tyres. The softer rubber compound and the v shape tread patterns has ability to cancel road noise and stop it from transmitting into the cabin. All other summer tyres with straight lines treads will be very similar. 
Amongst them those with larger water drain canals will create more noise and these with harder shoulders and space between the shoulders treads also creates more road noise.  Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are the best summer touring tyres but they are not as quiet as v shape all season tyres on most of the uk rough roads. On smooth asphalt they are simply silent. 
And another thing , the wheels and tyres sizes matters. The entry level models has the best sizes and they are more comfortable and way quieter than anything above even for external road noise. I had been listening cars driving pass and I noticed those cars with smaller tyres creat very little noise, Priuses with 15” , Yaris cross with 16” , Corolla with 16” , literally silent drive by . 

• Like 2

That's because with those, all the noise goes into the car!!! :wacko: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's because with those, all the noise goes into the car!!! :wacko: :laugh: 

The interior absorbs the outside noise 😂👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I feel that, in my Mk4, *I* am the sound dampener! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Today, driving down a Lincolnshire country road at 45 the noise was certainly present.  We could tell when we crossed into Leicestershire there was a deadly silence.

It's a road issue as much as a tyre one.

• Like 4

I must admit that, after test driving and ordering my cross in jan 23 I was concerned with the noise, mainly from the cvt, but this turned out to be groundless, yes, if you push it hard it does get a bit raucous but you learn how to adapt so you mostly avoid this, tyre noise is the issue, but I agree with roy, the roads are just as much to blame, a decent bit of tarmac and the car is fairly refined, my journey to work is on relatively good roads although it is starting to show more pot holes, I’m not a fan of the falken tyres but am not going to replace them until they wear down, I’m not going to let it spoil the enjoyment of driving this car.

• Like 3

By far the biggest source of noise is the road/tyres for me - Even when I'm ragging it, the engine is a very small percentage of the noise!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

By far the biggest source of noise is the road/tyres for me - Even when I'm ragging it, the engine is a very small percentage of the noise!

Like I said before and so many others, it's mainly the roads and not the tyres !!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Today, driving down a Lincolnshire country road at 45 the noise was certainly present.  We could tell when we crossed into Leicestershire there was a deadly silence.

It's a road issue as much as a tyre one.

11 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Like I said before and so many others, it's mainly the roads and not the tyres !!

I’m not convinced that’s true.  If you buy Michelin summer tyres, they are unbelievably quiet on virtually any road surface.  They’re the medium that transmit noise to the cabin.  I test drove a UX300h on Monday and the runflats were making an almighty din.  I’d forgotten how much my all seasons had quietened it down.   

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links