Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Cross - noise

Chas G

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I’m not convinced that’s true.  If you buy Michelin summer tyres, they are unbelievably quiet on virtually any road surface.  They’re the medium that transmit noise to the cabin.  I test drove a UX300h on Monday and the runflats were making an almighty din.  I’d forgotten how much my all seasons had quietened it down.   

If that's true, it would be fantastic, but I'd have to live with the road noise of using All Season tyres, I could just not go through the hassle and cost of either having two sets of Tyres/Wheels and getting them changed over and then there's the storage (which I currently do have, but may not always have).

• Like 2

@152bobby interesting.  I don't think I have ever got down to the wear bars.  Usually there is wear on one side or other and I finish up getting new tyres much earlier.

Having a set of winter wheels is ideal.  My last Merc came on winter tyres which was ideal for a trip to Germany not long after we bought it.  Come Spring I switched to all season and put the winter ones back on for one more season.  Tyre change cost me £50.  For storage I managed but not convenient. 

For people based in Germany they often had two sets of wheels.   In UK you would see the stack of wheels outside in a large PVC cover like a giant water butt.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

If that's true, it would be fantastic, but I'd have to live with the road noise of using All Season tyres, I could just not go through the hassle and cost of either having two sets of Tyres/Wheels and getting them changed over and then there's the storage (which I currently do have, but may not always have).

No, it’s a pita but the point of having all season tyres is that you don’t change them.  You would also benefit from having superior performance in winter because despite what the cynics say, an AWD Cross is astonishing in the snow with suitable tyres and Michelin Cross Climates are even quieter than my Goodyears.   As for the tyres you take off, you might get something for them on eBay.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Interesting video in this article....I never knew this !!

https://www.dailydot.com/news/michelin-man-tire-wear/

All tyres have got tread wear indicators and as far as I know some sort of symbol or the letters TWI on the side.  

• Like 2

Some resourceful, cost conscious people have resorted to using butyl flashing foil faced roofing stuff, on a big roll like felt, from Wickes to sound proof their cars/vans.

I do wonder what it smells like though but I don't suppose it matters in a  builders van 😀

• Haha 1

Yes, it is the road surfaces and the tyres. A combination of both. 
Tyres though, can make a real difference. 

• Like 1

"Longdrive down M40 and M25 this weekend.

I noticed that at speed, the road noise was unbearably loud. This was esp on the stretch of the M25 around the A3/M3 South West section"

I borrowed this post from the Mercedes Benz forum. Seems like  complaints about excessive road noise on the M40/M25 near London is common.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

M25 around the A3/M3 South West section"

Yes, it's concrete. We lived in Byfleet about half a mile from the M25 at the time they opened it (about 40 years ago). We got £4,000 from the gov as compensation for the noise.

They've probably resurfaced it since then but I think it's still concrete.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

No, it’s a pita but the point of having all season tyres is that you don’t change them.  You would also benefit from having superior performance in winter because despite what the cynics say, an AWD Cross is astonishing in the snow with suitable tyres and Michelin Cross Climates are even quieter than my Goodyears.   As for the tyres you take off, you might get something for them on eBay.

Do you know a ball park figure for how much faster  all season tyres wear compared to summer tyres?

This chap takes a practical approach and a few tips on the best places to fit sound deadening material. Rather hard going though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yaris_Cross said:

Do you know a ball park figure for how much faster  all season tyres wear compared to summer tyres?

I don’t Derek, no.   For me, all season tyres are a necessary thing with the job I do and can make the difference between me getting home in the middle of the night or sitting up some moor stranded.   They won’t work miracles but they make the kind of difference that can only be believed by experiencing them.   In that respect, while I’m working, £600-700 doesn’t scratch the surface especially if I’m looking at the difference in tyre wear. By the way, I filmed out of the front of our trains on Tuesday up your way.  This is passing through the Lune Gorge…..

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 22.41.18.png

• Like 2

Surely it's a cars ability to suppress road/tyre noise and the YC doesn't do a very good job of it, eg, if a YC had Falken tyres fitted road noise would be much more noticeable than if the same tyres were fitted to lets say, a VW Troc   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tommy X said:

Surely it's a cars ability to suppress road/tyre noise and the YC doesn't do a very good job of it, eg, if a YC had Falken tyres fitted road noise would be much more noticeable than if the same tyres were fitted to lets say, a VW Troc   

Correct.
And adding some sound proofing pads will not help much with that but just make the car feel more solid while still remain relatively noisy. 
All seasons v shaped tyres though does make a difference because they create less road noise than summer tyres. They also last long enough. 👌

• Like 1

A new Falken tyre 205/65/16 95H for my Yaris Cross is about £100 inc fitting.

I was looking at some all seasons Michelin Tyres with the chevron tread pattern and they were £260 each fitted at local company.

Since most of the road noise into the car is from the rear, could I fit  just 2 on the back to see if they reduce the noise or would I have to do all 4?

38 minutes ago, Chas G said:

I was looking at some all seasons Michelin Tyres with the chevron tread pattern and they were £260 each fitted at local company.

Since most of the road noise into the car is from the rear, could I fit  just 2 on the back to see if they reduce the noise or would I have to do all 4?

Hi,

You don’t need to go for Michelin cross climates . There are other options cheaper than that. Also you need to be careful when choosing tyres because these sizes often comes a van tyres that are way too expensive and not suitable for Yaris cross. 
Here Hankook seems like best option for this size 

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Hankook/Kinergy-4S-H750/205-65-R16-95H-4PR-SBL/R-437681

Also very important thing if you buy any tyres they should be all 4 exactly the same especially when choosing all season or winter tyres. Never mix and match different types of tyres.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Falken do all season tyres, they are called euroall..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Chas, in your OP you say your Falken tyres are due for renewal so it would be unwise and false economy to fit 2 on the rear, IMO whichever tyres are fitted to a YC there will be insignificant reduction to noise levels  

• Like 1

I will go down to my local tyre fitting shop tomorrow and get his advice.

The only thing I have ever known about tyres was with my Caterham 

Summer it was Yokohama tyres that stuck like the proverbial to a shovel in warm weather.

Winter change to Michelin Pilots or "pile ups" as the were affectionately known. You could clock up mileage without actually moving 😀

• Haha 2

Hi

@TonyHSD My choise too but mainly for reducing wheel spin 😉

Kinergy 4S 2 H750  205/65/16

εικόνα_Viber_2024-06-14_09-42-26-729.jpg

• Like 2

I opted for 215/65 tyres - much easier and cheaper to find all-season, I chose Goodyear, local tyre franchise had a really good offer but other makes are indeed available!

• Like 1

Pondering the noise issue reminded me of a job many years ago when I was very green to say the least.

I specified an air handling unit to be installed on the top of a building which was surrounded by taller buildings. As soon as the air handler was turned on we were flooded with noise complaints. Without thinking,  I had specified a single skinned unit.

I got the building contractor to install and seal plaster board to the inside of the fan section and the resulting noise reduction was amazing.   😀

5 hours ago, TOYOman2 said:

Hi

@TonyHSD My choise too but mainly for reducing wheel spin 😉

Kinergy 4S 2 H750  205/65/16

εικόνα_Viber_2024-06-14_09-42-26-729.jpg

Excellent choice and the black wheels look amazing with your car colour 🛞🚙👌

• Like 1

Today I did a round trip of about 150 miles mainly on the M40 which was almost deserted.....maybe all the lorry drivers have joined the throng who work from home on Mondays and Fridays.

It was so quiet I was able to set the cruise control at 65mph and spent most of the drive in the slow lane and it was noticeably quieter/smoother so I have made up with K155 CBG.

I found it very comfortable, relaxed and averaged 72mpg.

I am definitely going to keep it for the forseeable future.

Any negatives are totally outweighed by it's many good points. 😀

Any suggestions as to what I should obsess about next?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links