Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X - Review after 1 week

Hicardo

Hi Folks, yay! our new Aygo X Exclusive Auto Canvas in Juniper Blue arrived last week.  We've been getting used to it.  

So - what do we think?

Well it's taken me a while to find a nice driving position, as the wheel adjusts only for height, not reach, but the seat is very adjustable.  Have set the drivers seat (for me)  all the way down, and all the way back.  Leaves no room in the back seat behind, but knew that would happen.  Also the steering wheel position can mean you can't quite see all the data on the 'mobile phone' on the dash.  Been experimenting and now got it sorted.  Comfy now  and can see the screen properly!   Feel a bit squeezed at the sides by the seats but something I'll have to get used to.  

In terms of driving - love the little petrol engine, very torquey if you're just bumbling along, and likes to be revved too.  If you're feeling like being more engaged in the driving experience you can use the flappy paddles which puts in 7 artificial gears, and makes it quite a lot of fun.  When you're not in the mood, you leave it in drive and let the AI do its thing. It's not a rocket ship with 71bhp of course but good fun to drive.  The adaptive cruise control (which im a big fan of) is a bit of a cruder version than on our ex-Yaris Cross, but still works well.

Handling is good, steering superb, tyres are skinny but capable enough.  Suspension is a tad bouncy due to the short wheelbase, but car is pretty comfortable generally.  My car came equipped with Michelin E-energy tyres.  I feel lucky, as they seem quite premium.

The boot, while small, had a week's shopping in it recently, and I didn't even have to fold the back seats down!  

But the big thing is the sunroof.  It's BRILLIANT.  There is a lot of flexibility in what position you can have it in, and the whole mechanism appears very sturdy.  We'll see. Big old space above when it's fully open. No bad wind buffeting when open as long as you stay below 50mph.  When closed, seals really well, and is fairly quiet.  Wish the car had a light coloured headlining, as when the roof is closed it's a bit dark in there.  

Doors are a funny combo.  Fronts close with a satisfying thunk.  Rears are the tinniest ever.  I'll use the rears once in a blue moon, so don't particularly care about this.  

Haven't been on a motorway yet, but done a lot of country road driving.  On the brand new engine after just a couple of hundred miles and a lot of cold starts, im averaging about 49mpg.  Expecting this to improve as it loosens up.  High mpg trip so far was a 64mpg - not too bad.  On short trips to our local village, 2.2 miles, it will usually do about 35mpg.  Our Yaris Cross used to be 40-45mpg on that short trip starting from cold.  BUT the AYGO X is 10 grand cheaper! So 'so what' if it costs me another fiver on fuel every 2 weeks.  

The insurance is 100 pounds less than the Yaris Cross.  The monthly PCP payment is half the Yaris Cross payment.  I will plan to pay it off early too.  The service plan was curiously 2 pounds more a month.  Maybe thats just inflation for you.  

Thats it for now folks.  Plan to update this review again after a month.  If anyone has specific questions, let me know

Cheers! 

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new car 🚙👌

• Like 1

1. Congrats on your new car. You say with flappy paddles the auto box has a 7 speed artificial gear change sound. Does this also happen when in full auto mode or does the car just rev its head off like CVT boxes did in the old days?

2. Has the car got built in sat nav or do you have to connect a mobile phone for this?

3. Is there room in the cars boot to store a spare wheel perhaps it has a well for this and is a spare available? Not a problem if a spare is not available as i could get one from "The Wheel Shop" an excellent online firm.

4. If you turn off stuff like lane assist. Do you have to turn it off again each time you start the car or does it remember the last setting.

5. With keyless entry and start. Can you put the fob to sleep as it were so as to block the signal by pressing certain buttons on the fob. I do have a Faraday pouch which i bought a few years ago when i was going to buy a Mini Cooper, but i bought my VW instead which has a good old fashion key which i prefer.

Hope that is not too many questions. It will be good to hear your ongoing reviews as the months go on.

• Like 1

Hi David, answers as follows:

1. In Full auto mode, seems to skip a few 'gears' sometimes when going 'down the box.  The 'engine going crazy' sound happens only when you floor it.  It's a low powered car but I dont find I have to floor it that often.  If I have to accelerate hard I tend to use the paddles.  It's a great sounding engine when it revs hard anyway. I'd not swap it for a manual shift

2. Yes built in Sat Nav - pretty good, but not as good as Google Maps.  My phone integrates well via Android Auto.  Screen is huge on the Exclusive model.  I've set it to permanent dark mode, which I find less distracting.  

3. Would say boot is too small for a spare wheel of 18".  I carry an electric pump, and some well rated sealant that doesn't write off the tyre when you use it.

4. Yes if you turn off safety systems, they reset when the car is switched off.  So you have to get into a routine.  I dont find them too intrusive on this vehicle.  

5. Don't know the answer, not tried.  My key is quite a long distance from the car.  

It's a fun car to drive.  As I said before its not a fast car in any way, but it is characterful, and entirely adequate for what I need.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Rich. Thanks for your reply and answers to my long list of questions. Re 5. I am sure there was a video that i watched some time ago about another Toyota not an Aygo where the guy said you could press one of the buttons on the fob to put the fob in silent mode so the signal is no longer active thereby preventing the car thieves from by passing the signal and gaining access to the car and starting the engine. 

I will o course have a test drive of the Aygo X and other cars on my list. The problem is i love my current car  VW UP GTI too much to sell at the moment but i always like to plan ahead. My GTI goes like a rocket but where can you use it in the traffic. I Have had loads of cars over the years both manual and auto but i do like auto. 

I will keep looking and thanks again for the info.

Yep I can see you could get attached to an Up GTi !!  It's a VERY different car to the Aygo X.  If you like a fast car, stick with what you already have.  If you want total dependability, and a nice soft top with great tech, then the Aygo X is worth looking at.  You will find it slow after the Up tho.  

A funny thing, i've had some fast cars over the years, but the one that really sticks in my mind as a fun car to own was a T reg 1999 1 litre Yaris, which I bought new.  Loved that car.  No idea why! Similarly the Toyota IQ in my profile pic.  They were the fun ones, not the Impreza's, Saab Turbos or Lexus GS430's - in hindsight.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes the UP GTI is a great car and a rare sight. I have only seen one other on the road this year. It does 0-60 in 8 secs. Top speed 120 MPH but still gets 50 MPG round town. Tartan Heated seats, cruise control and a slot on the radio for an SD card to play all my tunes, some 70 albums and the card is only 1/4 full. They say the car will be a classic in years to come like the previous Lupo GTI. I will probably keep it  to use occasionally and get something else like the Aygo X auto as my daily.

I know what you mean about certain cars holding fond memories. I owned classic sports cars years ago like the MGB in my pic  (not that actual car) and a TR6. Also a Smart For Two diesel which i loved and kept for 10 years. I quite fancy getting an MG Midget 1500 for week end fun but finding one rust free is hard.

Enjoy your Aygo and keep us updated. All the best my friend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

An update after about 3 weeks ownership of new Aygo X.  

The only big issue i've had  - is that i've found after a few weeks that the drivers seat is a bit uncomfortable.  I'm 6ft 2, rugby build.  The issue after a while is that the drivers seat pinches my legs at the sides.  Ive purchased a memory foam seat cover which has helped considerably, but it's only day 2 of having that installed, so jury's still out.   My wife is fine with the seats as standard.

In all other respects i'm enjoying ownership.  Love the way the car looks, love the canvas roof, love the CVT trans, and paddle shifts.  All my journeys so far have been locally, and within my county of East Sussex, so no motorways yet.  But i'm happy to report that the car is pretty refined.  Am I finding it slow?  Not really, it's a 1 litre non turbo, so you know what you're getting.  But it's a characterful unit, that sounds good when revved,  and moves down the road pretty well.  My wife and I find the room in the front of the Aygo X about the same as in the front of the Yaris Cross.  The difference is behind the front seats.  The boot is adequate for a very small car, is very easy and light to open up too.  The big 18inch wheels look brilliant, but as we know tyres in this size are very limited in choice, and quite expensive.  But I knew that.  

One really brilliant thing about the car is connectivity, the big screen, and the sound quality, after a bit of tinkering.  For a music lover like me, it's one the best i've come across.  And it's a tiny inexpensive (relatively) car.  Google maps looks brilliant on the big screen aswell, and is fairly responsive.    

That's it for now.  A happy 9/10 with our purchase.  More feedback to come.

• Like 4

Decided to supplement my drivers seat comfort with a bamboo mat.  Arrives tomorrow, and is meant to give your posterior a bit better breathing (as it were), and also is flatter than a normal wooden seat "massaging" mat.  Hoping to get this sorted out soon.  If I cant do it with aftermarket seat fitments like this,  I think I'll take a trip to a local automotive upholsterer, and get the bolster size reduced / removed.  

Bamboo mat has really helped.  The bamboo is smooth and flattish.  Feels comfortable and cool.  Better than the memory foam which was initially comfortable but ultimately too soft.  I'll give this latest surface to some for me to get accustomed to, before I do anything drastic

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links