Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New alloy wheel v,s repair

Primus1

The chap from chips away is doing the bodywork repair today, I asked him if he can quote for the alloy wheel repair, unfortunately because it’s diamond cut he’s not able to , he recommended a company that’s not too far from me, ball park figure for the repair is £120/150 , would it be cheaper to just buy a new wheel from Toyota?…any ideas how much a wheel would be?..

Do a search on eBay on Genuine Toyota Yaris Cross Alloy Wheel, there's a few for sale on there WITH and WITHOUT tyres.

But looking at the prices, you may be better shopping around for more prices on a refurb on your existing wheel.  As the ones on eBay may also have some damage.

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

Do a search on eBay on Genuine Toyota Yaris Cross Alloy Wheel, there's a few for sale on there WITH and WITHOUT tyres.

But looking at the prices, you may be better shopping around for more prices on a refurb on your existing wheel.  As the ones on eBay may also have some damage.

👍

New wheel for 18 inch Corolla is around £650 so i expect it's going to be at least £500 for yours.

If you buy off eBay etc you don't know it's its been buckled or welded etc and repaired.

You know your wheel just get it refurbed for around £120...google is your friend for good companies near you.

• Like 1

I've just done a quick Google on Alloy Wheel Refurb.  The prices vary SO much.  Best to shop around and above all, check their customer reviews from an external source rather than the ones on their own website.

• Like 1

Have sent pics to a company not too far from me, problem is, it may need to be done over two days with it being diamond cut, not sure why, perhaps it’s a more involved process, I don’t have access to another car so I might be stuck…

Auto trader is full of used Toyota cars and particularly Corolla with wheels been refurbished and from diamond cut they are now fully painted into non diamond cut, I do like these even more to some extent. 
Is your car on finance that you need to return after some time? 

Anyone care to explain diamond cut?  Bit like a Japanese car many years ago made from 'high tensile steel'.  Salesman hadn't a clue.

47 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Anyone care to explain diamond cut?  Bit like a Japanese car many years ago made from 'high tensile steel'.  Salesman hadn't a clue.

Diamond cut are usually two colours wheels 🛞 black and silver, where the standard wheels has only one colour. The diamond cut process is made on a CNC lathe machine that makes precise groves and then the wheels gets clear lacquer top cot. Look modern but once damaged they are way more difficult to repair. 
Here an example and the difference between both. 
image.thumb.jpeg.94925827bf2ed73c5444845aafb334bd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.738d0fc73e2542744a560b07f7e5e072.jpeg

https://www.smartrepair-shop.com/product/alloy-wheel-repair-centre-fully-automated-diamond-cut/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=11381343526&utm_content=156747421398&utm_term=diamond cut wheel machine&gadid=681962497673&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwjqWzBhAqEiwAQmtgT-VMIckSDL9loDDHqt3nErl1Y31n6dyatlKUo2b1_MzogOaisT1ZlhoCXI4QAvD_BwE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Auto trader is full of used Toyota cars and particularly Corolla with wheels been refurbished and from diamond cut they are now fully painted into non diamond cut, I do like these even more to some extent. 
Is your car on finance that you need to return after some time? 

No, not on finance but I like it to look nice..

• Like 2

Are a particular wheel unique to each model,  ie Corolla  and Yaris?

For instance,  if you committed to Toyota as a brand and decided to invest in a set of winter wheels could you keep the wheels for future models?

I did that for steels on a SAAB although I gave up when the SAAB wheels became really wide.

• Like 2

£120 is pretty normal price for a refurb that includes facing ("diamond cut"). It's always going to be a slight gamble as to how close to the original look they manage to get them. Also, check with them how much material they will remove. I've heard of some over enthusiastic workshops making the wheels worryingly thin in places.  I'd go on reputation and recommendations rather than price.

I know some people do all four wheel at the same time and sometimes choose to not have them refaced but just paint. That way they all look the same. The clear coat of the diamond cut facing will normally puncture and peel after a few years. Hence I avoid them like the plague. If you never keep a car for more than five years it doesn't matter. 

• Like 2

For the wheels some are interchangeable between the models but you need to run a comparison betweenness the models in question here https://www.wheel-size.com  and eventually here of different sizes tyres https://www.willtheyfit.com

For example from the pictures above the diamond cut wheels for my Auris are 16” and they are exact fit for all Auris, Avensis, and Yaris cross. I will keep these eventually if I buy a cross gr or excel and put these on with tyre sizes from icon 205/16 and I will have a top spec car with ultra efficient and comfortable drive, and quieter too., similar to what I have achieved with the swap on my Auris currently. 🛞👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TonyHSD thanks, though at my age I think it is too late 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have these wheels on my Yaris which i assume are diamond cut.

The two nearside ones were a mess so i pointed this out after the test drive the dealer agreed to get them repaired if i bought it and they did a good job they are still looking good.

image.thumb.png.59b9e4492ab66dade577300856cf1d98.png

This is the damage

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

• Sad 1

Mine were worse than that they had damage all the way round.

The video shows a repair (not mine)

14 hours ago, Yaris_Cross said:

The video shows a repair (not mine)

Just to be clear, this is not the way wheels are refurbished professionally. For a full refurb, they will chemically strip the rim completely from all paint and corrosion, check run out and straighten the rim if needed, machine face the rim if needed and then paint. Wheels are always powder coated, not spray painted. Then the coated rims are baked, tyres are put back on and the wheels balanced. This is why refurbing is not cheap but often cheaper than a new wheel and - pretty much - equally good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have bought my 16” wheels new from Toyota back in February 2020. Since then been on the car with only two winters off and so far they had only very few dents here and there, luckily no damages from tyre replacements yet. They are on their third set of tyres and over 135000 miles traveled, they still look very good. 
My point is unless seriously damaged just try to touch up any small dents or scratches without refurbished or remove further the original coating.
Once the top coat is removed, damaged or repainted the wheels will go bad very quickly unless they are refurbished exactly how APS have described above. 
Sometimes it is better to leave the cars with small age related marks rather than trying to keep them in “shiny showroom “ condition. It is healthier on a long run.  

• Like 2

I'm different from the OP, never cared about kerb scratches wheels, no matter how careful one can be, there will be some small scratches here and there. The only time I had to pay for refurbishment were on a lease car. Sold all the cars I had owned as it is, with aged related wear and tear. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, APS said:

Just to be clear, this is not the way wheels are refurbished professionally.

Dealers wont pay for the professional job as it eats into their profit  this is how a local firm does it around dealerships here the salesman said they have a man that comes to the dealership so i would have to wait a couple of days for the car,  mine were done two years ago and they are still looking good.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted a few weeks back about me kerbing my alloy, anyway, my car was serviced last Monday and mentioned it to the sales guy , he said to pop in Wednesday ( today) as the guy they use would have a look and, fit me in if he could do it, well he could, and did, all fixed £50, happy with that..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links