Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What is the easiest way to "hardwire" a dashcam?

benchan

Hi,

For the 2021 Yaris (Excel trim), what is the easiest way to "hardwire" a Dashcam with parking mode?

I am considering installing one with a parking mode and voltage sensing so as not to drain the car Battery.

Is piggybacking on one of the fuses the only way and if so does it involve modifying the fuse case?

Would you recommend powering it via the ODB port?

Thanks.

Ben

Which Yaris version?

2021, Excel trim. I will edit my initial post with this info.

Personally I'd use separate power bank for keeping the parking mode running. Have you already bought the camera? 

10 minutes ago, hind said:

Personally I'd use separate power bank for keeping the parking mode running. Have you already bought the camera? 

I haven't yet bought it yet. I did think of going the power bank route but then I thought is it really safe to leave a power bank on the car? When you say power bank, you are talking about one of those USB mobile charging power banks, right?

If you wired a power bank into a switched feed and wired the Dashcam to it, you could get some decent parking time with no impact on the 12v Battery.

4 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If you wired a power bank into a switched feed and wired the dashcam to it, you could get some decent parking time with no impact on the 12v battery.

"wired a power bank into a switched feed " - is this something easily done?   

Also is leaving a power bank on the car (I am in the UK but still the cabin temperature can easily reach and exceed 50°C in summer) safe?

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If you wired a power bank into a switched feed and wired the dashcam to it, you could get some decent parking time with no impact on the 12v battery.

There are two possible problems with that. One is that (judging by my Anker power bank) it takes hours to recharge. The other is that if it has discharged while parked then it may be a while after starting the car, and thus putting something into the bank, before it will output to the Dashcam - so you may not get recording for some time.

56 minutes ago, benchan said:

When you say power bank, you are talking about one of those USB mobile charging power banks, right?

https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000127936-can-i-use-an-external-battery-pack-for-parking-mode-

there are some recommended by Viofo dash cams. These power bank kits are also available for other brands. I'd look for them if I were you 🙂 as these are dedicated to work inside the car and cooperate with the camera to maintain the parking mode.

I'm suggesting this solution mainly because of the already existing issues with the Yaris Battery, it's small capacity and charging algorithm doesn't recharge it as fast as possible. Unless you are driving for at least an hour daily, everyday, you might quickly deplete the Battery as the car might not be able to catch up with recharging it quick enough. 

• Like 2

I use the OBD port for my 2 channel Nextbase using the Nextbase OBD cable specifically for this job.

Works as it should, including parking mode.  And I triple checked with Nextbase Customer Services that it has a built in feature so that it does not flatten your Battery, just like the hardwire kit has. It's so much easier than a full hardwire.....and not to mention that some people have pointed out that hardwiring a dash cam is a modification and your insurance company needs to be notified.  Whether that's true or not, I don't know 

Hi.

Hopefully this won't cause any issues with insurance but please feel free to drop me a line if it does,

A number of our insurance schemes give premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Always good to advise your insurance company. Even if it doesn't count as a modification you would want the price of the dash cam reflected in the settlement figure if the car was stolen 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links