Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Panic !!

152bobby

I was messing about in the YC today with doors etc and radio on (yes, I know) and I can't get it to start.

Should I jump it with my starter brick or trickle charge it ?

PXL_20240612_121854731.jpg

PXL_20240612_121901858.jpg

ah you get that if you leave it in acc and not ready mode the car will turn itself off after 15 mins

foot on the brake place the fob near the start button, press start

if not charge the 12v Battery

• Like 4

If you don't need to go out in the car today, I would put it on a smart charger overnight.

• Like 1

I can put it on trickle charge overnight, but the other car that I can use is behind it in my garage, can I not jump it and if so how.

I know about the positive terminal in the fuse box and just put the negative to the car and then what ?

6 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I know about the positive terminal in the fuse box and just put the negative to the car and then what ?

start as usual - be aware you may need to put the fob on the start button as a low Battery can turn the keyless off

• Like 4

If it's a noco, connect under the bonnet red connection in fuse box and a decent earth like the top stud on the suspension damper.

Press the power"on" button then get in the car and start as normal. Easier if someone holds the jump pack while you sit in the car.

20240612_134452.thumb.jpg.117d84cf6560e7ac7491dc0c610045a7.jpg20240612_134422.thumb.jpg.7716e8afdcd04ac12d40deb20916576c.jpg

• Like 3

It's on the trickle charger for now, as my Ring Lithium 400 doesn't do anything and that's with the key fob over the start button.  And I know there's nothing wrong with the Jumper Pack because I used it on another car and fully charged it the other day 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 152bobby said:

It's on the trickle charger for now, as my Ring Lithium 400 doesn't do anything and that's with the key fob over the start button.  And I know there's nothing wrong with the Jumper Pack because I used it on another car and fully charged it the other day 

The trickle charger currently shows 10.4v and still charging.  I assume once it shows 12v, it should start ?

Got it started.  Once the remote control "woke up" my jumper pack brought the car to life.

I'm putting it on the trickle charger overnight, just to be sure.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

The trickle charger currently shows 10.4v and still charging.  I assume once it shows 12v, it should start ?

With charger connected to the jump start points and while charging your Battery  you can go inside the car, step on your brake and push start button, the car will start. If not push start button again and you will be good. Then go on the front and disconnect the charger leads. Leave the car ON for at least one hour in ready mode or swap cars and turn it off. Reconnect your charger leads and leave it for at least 10 hrs , the smart charger will rejuvenate your 12v Battery

• Like 3

I think it's a bit of "scare mungering" that "Visit Your Dealer" pops up on the dash for what really is just a flat Battery that needs jumping or charging.

I'm sorting of glad in a weird way that this happened at home, it's good practice should it happen again.

• Like 1

As an aside slightly:  if you had a Noco jump starter you can override the ‘normal’ jump starting procedure. So even if the 12v Battery is completely flat you would still be able to get the car running using the Manual Override Boost function. Just a thought 

I know the Noco units are not cheap but I believe they are very good. On my next trip to Gatwick, and leaving my car there for the week, I will be taking my Noco with me just in case I need it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I think it's a bit of "scare mungering" that "Visit Your Dealer" pops up on the dash for what really is just a flat battery that needs jumping or charging.

Its done more as a lot of people of today just don't have practical skills & its far safer if this type of person was dissuaded from tinkering with something that could cause injury, damage or a potential legal claim. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninanina said:

As an aside slightly:  if you had a Noco jump starter you can override the ‘normal’ jump starting procedure. So even if the 12v battery is completely flat you would still be able to get the car running using the Manual Override Boost function. Just a thought 

I know the Noco units are not cheap but I believe they are very good. On my next trip to Gatwick, and leaving my car there for the week, I will be taking my Noco with me just in case I need it 

The Ring one I have is about £85 today, so not that cheap. Never let me down, not that I've used it that much.  

Hopefully I've got the hang of how to get the YC going after today's fiasco(should I need it 😄).  I have one of these jumpers in both my cars, just in case.👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 152bobby said:

what really is just a flat battery

System doesn't know what exactly is wrong. It just indicates malfunction due to low voltage. If that was DC/DC converters fault which caused it to charge insufficiently or the Battery which is damaged and holds only a few Ah's then you should actually visit the dealership 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

The Ring one I have is about £85 today, so not that cheap. Never let me down, not that I've used it that much.  

Hopefully I've got the hang of how to get the YC going after today's fiasco(should I need it 😄).  I have one of these jumpers in both my cars, just in case.👍

They are a good item to keep handy just in case 

I haven’t had any trouble with my Prius but as I have the Noco I’m not that worried either 👍

• Like 2

And thanks to everyone who replied quickly on this to help me out 👌👌👌

• Like 1

In the Hybrid World,always ensure your vehicle is in Ready Mode before you do any other "Task".

In Other Posts you appeared to know this ?

Tel

6 hours ago, 152bobby said:

And thanks to everyone who replied quickly on this to help me out 👌👌👌

What are you like?  After all the posts on here saying never sit in the car in the accessory position!  You can sit all day as long as it is in READY position and with the occasional start, the car will keep the Battery topped right up automatically.  

I think I did have it in a combination of Ready and Completely off, but my Dash Cam comes on with movement etc, I'll unplug that next time.  But I was trying out a various adapters with type C connections in the cigarette lighter socket and was turning the car off and on.  So I'm really Guilty Guv.

What do garages etc do when these cars are in the workshop, MOT etc, they cannot have it clicking into petrol mode all the time inside a workshop ? And thinking about it, on all my other cars when in the Chunnel, I listened to the radio on ACC, I suppose that's completely a No No!!

And what's the point in really having a first click ACC on a car like this if it knackers the Battery pretty quickly (the AA and RAC bosses must hate Electrical and Hybrid cars, because flat batteries must be a high statistic for call outs )!!

And what's the point in really having a first click ACC on a car like this if it knackers the battery pretty quickly

You don't need a car key to do that 🙂 I use it quite often when I clean the interior. I leave the keys in the house, open the car with the app, plug in the car Battery charger under the bonnet (to top up the capacity when it's unlocked and supervised by me) and start the radio to have something to listen to while I do the detailing

the AA and RAC bosses must hate Electrical and Hybrid cars, because flat batteries must be a high statistic for call outs

actually they love it as it allows them to justify the need for that service 😉 

• Thanks 1

Workshops use Battery maintainers to maintain voltage, last thing you want it a Battery dropping dead while doing an ecu or module flash

Brake power low is because the backup capacitor under the passenger seat (black box) has discharged - this is used in the event of total power loss it allows the brakes to operate

2020-23 cars do suffer from weak batteries thanks to lockdown and long lead times with cars sitting untouched

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Workshops use battery maintainers to maintain voltage, last thing you want it a battery dropping dead while doing an ecu or module flash

Brake power low is because the backup capacitor under the passenger seat (black box) has discharged - this is used in the event of total power loss it allows the brakes to operate

2020-23 cars do suffer from weak batteries thanks to lockdown and long lead times with cars sitting untouched

"If" I hold onto this as long as my Rav4 (which was one of the best cars I ever had and I kept it for about 11 years, a REAL record for me and my wife was happy)😄, I'll change and upgrade the batteries and keep them in tip top condition, you never know, I may get one under warranty 😄

• Thanks 1

The voltage abnormality appeared on ours this morning, called AA who turned up in 30 minutes and sorted with a booster pack. No need to visit dealer I thought and left it in ready for 90 minutes before going out to check. Car goes into ready now but large screen in centre no display so no radio or sat nav .... going into dealer tomorrow. Hopefully only a fuse and not a long job !

5 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

The voltage abnormality appeared on ours this morning, called AA who turned up in 30 minutes and sorted with a booster pack. No need to visit dealer I thought and left it in ready for 90 minutes before going out to check. Car goes into ready now but large screen in centre no display so no radio or sat nav .... going into dealer tomorrow. Hopefully only a fuse and not a long job !

Please let us know what they find and what caused it, rather than just getting it fixed and driving away 😄😄👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links