Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Mk2 C-HR Owners

ninanina

13 hours ago, Yorkboy said:

I have had my new CHR 6 months, and don't recognise the complaints shown in the video. My CHR is a 1.8 Excel FWD so not a direct comparison. I gave my 2019 RAV4 to my son because he carries a lot of filming equipment around.

I wondered if I had been a little rash offering him the car. But I am really happy with the CHR and wouldn't go back. 

I’ve owned a lot of cars, including most German makes,  and this is the best car overall that I’ve owned. I’m also happy I paid for a properly applied ceramic coating. Probably the last car I’m going to buy. 👍😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yorkboy said:

I have had my new CHR 6 months, and don't recognise the complaints shown in the video. My CHR is a 1.8 Excel FWD so not a direct comparison. I gave my 2019 RAV4 to my son because he carries a lot of filming equipment around.

I wondered if I had been a little rash offering him the car. But I am really happy with the CHR and wouldn't go back. 

I tend to agree. Although I haven’t yet taken delivery, I did have a thorough 45 minute test drive as well as driving a dozen other options from all sorts of marques.

Two specifics in the video. First, the sound of the door closing. I don’t recall thinking anything about that on my various views, and the fact he says it sounds cheap doesn’t (to me) match the actual sound on his video…where it sounds…well, much like a car door closing with a solid thunk really. Very odd.

Second, the soundproofing. I can’t comment on whether he’s right or wrong in terms of whether there should or shouldn’t be more soundproofing. What I can comment on is the overall result, and the CH-R wasn’t - in my opinion - noisy at all. In fact the general feeling of solidity and refinement was essentially what drew me to the CH-R when compared with options from VW/Skoda/BMW/MINI/Mazda/Honda (perhaps not the Volvo XC40 which was very strong in those areas).

I think we all need to recognise that there are now numerous (perhaps even hundreds?) of online video reviewers on YouTube. They’re all competing for subscribers and views as it’s how they make their living. Thus, while different opinions are a good thing, we also need to accept that in competing for views they will need to find ways of standing out in order to survive. Looking at some of the other reviews on his channel (I’d never heard of him previously) it does look as though finding a ‘problem’ for his review title is something he does quite a bit, albeit not all the time.

Final thing from me on this. I’m coming to the CH-R after three years with a 2021 Lexus RX450h. That’s quite a change, and I doubt many people (if any) would criticise the RX for ‘cheap’ sounding doors or a lack of soundproofing! As such, if the CH-R or any of the other options I tested were lacking in those areas I’d have expected to be especially sensitive to that…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, First_Toyota said:

I tend to agree. Although I haven’t yet taken delivery, I did have a thorough 45 minute test drive as well as driving a dozen other options from all sorts of marques.

Two specifics in the video. First, the sound of the door closing. I don’t recall thinking anything about that on my various views, and the fact he says it sounds cheap doesn’t (to me) match the actual sound on his video…where it sounds…well, much like a car door closing with a solid thunk really. Very odd.

Second, the soundproofing. I can’t comment on whether he’s right or wrong in terms of whether there should or shouldn’t be more soundproofing. What I can comment on is the overall result, and the CH-R wasn’t - in my opinion - noisy at all. In fact the general feeling of solidity and refinement was essentially what drew me to the CH-R when compared with options from VW/Skoda/BMW/MINI/Mazda/Honda (perhaps not the Volvo XC40 which was very strong in those areas).

I think we all need to recognise that there are now numerous (perhaps even hundreds?) of online video reviewers on YouTube. They’re all competing for subscribers and views as it’s how they make their living. Thus, while different opinions are a good thing, we also need to accept that in competing for views they will need to find ways of standing out in order to survive. Looking at some of the other reviews on his channel (I’d never heard of him previously) it does look as though finding a ‘problem’ for his review title is something he does quite a bit, albeit not all the time.

Final thing from me on this. I’m coming to the CH-R after three years with a 2021 Lexus RX450h. That’s quite a change, and I doubt many people (if any) would criticise the RX for ‘cheap’ sounding doors or a lack of soundproofing! As such, if the CH-R or any of the other options I tested were lacking in those areas I’d have expected to be especially sensitive to that…

Every YouTuber lives for clicks and as you found I didn’t recognise his findings.  He’s also wrong in so much as you can get rid of the two blue screens by linking to your My Toyota profile , when you know how to do it. A lot of folk just don’t like the new generation CHR for whatever reason, I look at our PE and see it is a budget Lexus rather than an expensive Toyota. 

Hope you enjoy your car when it arrives 👍😎

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

I look at our PE and see it is a budget Lexus rather than an expensive Toyota.

Interesting you say that. Having had 2xNX300h and now an RX450h over the last decade, I saw the CH-R as exactly that - a slightly less ‘premium’ version. The interior isn’t as ‘posh’ but overall the compromise wasn’t anywhere near as big as I’d feared before I viewed it, and the CH-R certainly made a lot more sense financially (to me, anyway) than the UX300h did (accepting larger engine size etc.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, First_Toyota said:

Interesting you say that. Having had 2xNX300h and now an RX450h over the last decade, I saw the CH-R as exactly that - a slightly less ‘premium’ version. The interior isn’t as ‘posh’ but overall the compromise wasn’t anywhere near as big as I’d feared before I viewed it, and the CH-R certainly made a lot more sense financially (to me, anyway) than the UX300h did (accepting larger engine size etc.)

We looked long and hard at the NX450H+ , fantastic car , but just felt too big for our needs and wasn’t 100% sold on the looks. Not keen on the UX looks so off the list. The new gen CHR ticks every box for us , just wished the passenger seat had same electric adjustment as the drivers. Hope you enjoy your CHR as much as we do 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Girls I chose the CHR MK2 Design 2l PHEV model because it was just  under 40£k  if you include Toyota's  added a contribution of 2.5£k plus the offer free home charging point installation and vouchers for public chargers worth overall around £1000. The contribution from Toyota is around £3500  I think this offer ends Sept 24 also its part of a reasonable PCP plan. The monthly payment amount depends largely on your initial car deposit.

The car so far has been amazing in all aspects  and is far more economical than my 2023 Corolla Hybrid Excel 2l which averaged around 55 mpg.

So  while the using EV mode n the CHR PEVH  am getting 77 mpg on average and 66mpg on petrol which will improve with time as I get used to the vehicle. That alone is why I went for the PHEV as I have never had a vehicle that did that sort of call it "gas mileage".

The CHR is without doubt  more refined than my  Excel as it is quiet,  smooth and sure footed on the road without the horrible CVT drivebelt whining/screeching when you put your foot down. Additionally with 220 HP under the bonnet you don't need to be heavy footed and its definitely  the best car I  have ever owned by a mile.

I am puzzled why the new MK2 CHR PHEV is getting such bad press perhaps  its  the push to own a pure EV  as there is currently  a Government drive  to encompass all traffic to be EV based by 2035, good luck with that.

I think  also a lot of would be buyers are being influenced by the lack of reasonable amount of  on live reviews.  The reviews  I have seen are  at best mediocre and are pushing you to go for the South Korean alternatives which although are good value they do however leave issues such as handling etc.  In many cases I wonder if the reviewer is talking about the same vehicle unless he is being paid to make it look undesirable who knows ?

Toyota have put a lot of work to improve braking and body handling on the new MK2 CHR PHEV to allow for weigh increase relating to the 13.5 kw Battery the MK2 PHEV.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Louie said:

I chose the CHR MK2 Design 2l PHEV model because it was just  under 40£k

Bear in mind the VED expensive car supplement is based on the car's list price at first registration plus any extras - not the discounted price you've paid.

So if your car's list price incl extras topped £40K, you will be liable for the VED expensive car supplement from year 2 to year 6.

• Like 1

Hi  Frostyballs the car came to about 38k with extras but i dont pay VED because i am disabled. 

I gues you are now wondering why i am not using Motability well at the beginning of the year the CHR was not available on their scheme and only "rattled" into view in April this year and I was not aware of this till it was too late.

Anyway i am stuck on a PCP for 42 months but to be honest not complaining as i love the car and only paying a small extra for the privilige  whats not to like.

Edited by Louie
error in wirding
  • Like 3

I forgot to mention and this is quite important, my monthly payments in the PCP agreement for the car purchase includes 3 year service/maintenance with one full and two intermediate normal cost for this period would be normally be about £850 and this includes the hybrid check.  24 months road side assistance and I think its  with the AA is also included.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 6:00 PM, ninanina said:

The ex demo one is a Design spec with panoramic roof and it’s up for £31k

I have priced up a new one (Design) excluding pan roof for just over £32k via Carwow so I’m hoping that the ex demo one is flexible price wise. I think it’s done 3k miles 

With most Toyota’s I would normally get a higher spec car but it seems that the Design spec C-HR has everything I need so there’s no need to spend more and I’m not fussed about having the bi-tone colour either 

3,000 miles on the car and you would be the second owner.  I think for just having the panoramic roof £31k is way over priced if you can get the same (without panoramic roof) but brand new for just over £32k.  Unless the Toyota dealer is offering something like a finance deal that Carwow don't and you need it I would go for a brand new Carwow one or get the dealer one for a lot less.  If it has been a demo and people have been able to take away home for a day or so then check all bodywork, inside of boot, back seats and backs of seats etc for any scuffs / damage.  People who borrow / use demonstrators are often careless and treat the car nothing like (you hope they would) their own.   

On 6/19/2024 at 7:50 PM, forkingabout said:

Speaking to salesperson earlier, she mentioned several mk1 C-HR owners have passed comment they don't like the new version of the C-HR & wouldn't buy one.

These customer feedback comments do go back to Toyota for future improvements.

Also discussing the theft issue - they recommend Auto watch Ghost if a customer wants an immobiliser.

Also they still have no news on the official fix from Toyota yet.

Thats interesting I think the new one is really cool and much better than the previous one which I've driven a fair bit.  My issue with them is the price, I have use of 3 vehicles my preferred one being a Lexus and was thinking of getting a C-HR next year BUT I am concerned to see you mention security!  Lexus have been having a nightmare with this issue and LV whom I am with are refusing to insure most Lexus models now across the UK (they have insured my model though).  As you may know other insurers carry on but are charging exorbitant pricing even with cameras, ghost and the Lexus security updates. 

• Like 1

Absolutely don't understand the statement that the new CHR MK2 is worse than the MK1.  This is just sheer nonsense as for a start the PHEV version is quieter and is sure footed on the road and whoever has made these comments has not driven it.

Some of the road tests of the CHR MK2 viewed on line  have made  some odd statements such as car is too insulated from the road and then finish off by saying you would be better off with the Kia brand equivalent.

Now I know that Toyota pricing is a bit odd but in my opinion having driven the KIa Nero and compared it  to the  Toyoya CHR PHEV is superior in the handing department and that alone is worth the extra premium. No I have got this of my chest I will keep quiet.

There are a lot of discounted CHR MK2's and  there is a catch in that the deposits were extremely high  where PCP was involved. The impression I got from Carwow  and other dealers was they were not keen on a cash deal  as they make a lot more commission on PCP. I had no car to pat ex so went for the most favourable PCP deal without having to drain my savings and also took advantage of the Toyota PHEV deal, namely £2.5k Toyota contribution, free Hive charger installation worth at least £1000 plus £250 vouchers towards public charging. 

The best thing about this deal is the amazing mpg I am getting and the bonus is its a nice car to drive.

14 minutes ago, Louie said:

Absolutely don't understand the statement that the new CHR MK2 is worse than the MK1.  This is just sheer nonsense as for a start the PHEV version is quieter and is sure footed on the road and whoever has made these comments has not driven it.

Three points:

1. You can't compare a Mk2 PHEV with the Mk1 C-HR - there is no Mk1 PHEV so there's nothing to compare with.
  2. All reviews are 'rubbish' - in the old days there existed to persuade you to buy the magazine; these days they exist to earn the reviewer advertising revenue. Rarely are they a serious, objective, review of the car.
  3. Folk who dislike the Mk2 generally do so because they have an issue with / haven't yet got used to the styling. The C-HR itself is a little bit 'marmite' but if it is the car for you, it is "the best thing since sliced bread".

😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Folk who dislike the Mk2 generally do so because they have an issue with / haven't yet got used to the styling. 

Just seen one out & about within the last hour, it still looks fugly.

As I've said elsewhere, I looked around one in the showroom & it's not for me, I don't like the exterior styling, the stupid pop out door handles & especially what Toyota have done in the cabin. 

It will be interesting to see what Toyota change at the mid life facelift after customer feedback / complaints. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Just seen one out & about within the last hour, it still looks fugly.

And within a year or two the one you have today, that looks just great today, will start to look tired and 'old-fashioned', while the Mk2 will look better and better ... until the cycle repeats! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

And within a year or two the one you have today, that looks just great today, will start to look tired and 'old-fashioned', while the Mk2 will look better and better ... until the cycle repeats! 😉

One of the reasons I bought the one I have is you don't see them outside schools due to the lack of family practicality 😉 

Toyota have made the mk2 C-HR crotch goblin friendly with the re positioned rear door handles. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Dosen't always work like that...some older models look better than the newer ones...i.e BMW 3 series VW Golf Mk 7.5 and many other brands not just these examples.

I like the Mk2 interior but the outside with the 2 tone paint will look very dated very soon.

Like it or not the styling of the new gen C-HR follows the design language Toyota have chosen, eg bZ4X , for a lot of its new models, latest  Landcruiser apart as that is more Retro Toyota. It will be interesting to see how the next model revamp goes , is the RAV4 due for a “new generation “ 🤔

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 4:10 PM, forkingabout said:

It will be interesting to see what Toyota change at the mid life facelift after customer feedback / complaints. 

^^ Surely* by that logic, the Mk2 CH-R changes made from the Mk1 will be as a result of “…customer feedback/complaints…” about the previous version?

*must fight Airplane reference. Must fight Airplane reference…😆

On 8/14/2024 at 12:11 PM, AndyRC said:

is the RAV4 due for a “new generation “ 🤔

Yes, potentially next year

3 hours ago, First_Toyota said:

^^ Surely* by that logic, the Mk2 CH-R changes made from the Mk1 will be as a result of “…customer feedback/complaints…” about the previous version?

*must fight Airplane reference. Must fight Airplane reference…😆

OK, Shirley. 😛

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Yes, potentially next year

OK, Shirley. 😛

It will be interesting to see the styling (and price)  of the next RAV4 🤔 If I was to put £5 bet on it will look more like the bZ4X and CHR  than the current model 🤔 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links