Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed warning system

Dazzar

I have an annoying car in the sense that I’m driving in a 40 mph road , the car displays 40 on the dash from picking it up from a road sign, but when I hit 30mph the car beeps as if I’m speeding, it does this at any speed sign 10 miles an hour below what is being displayed, Steven Eagell whom the dealership has gone to insist the car must be picking up road signs from the backs of lorries etc even when there are none around me , and just look at me with a dumb look when I say yes but the car is displaying the correct speed limit for the road ……anyone else have this problem.

It is a very common problem - What's happening is for some stupid reason the RSA system randomly thinks the signs are in KPH, so in your case it thinks the speed limit is 40KPH, which is about 25MPH.

Nobody knows why it does this, and I can't believe they still haven't fixed this - it's stupid that your newer model is having the same problem our older ones is!

I don't know why they don't tie it to the units being displayed - mph for mph and kph for kph, instead of this automatic system that gets it wrong as often as it gets it right - Why would a car using mph units be seeing signs in kph!?! And why would there be signs in mph and kph in the same place?? It's utterly nonsensical! :wacko:

As good as Toyota are with their mechanicals, they really suck at software...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It is a very common problem - What's happening is for some stupid reason the RSA system randomly thinks the signs are in KPH, so in your case it thinks the speed limit is 40KPH, which is about 25MPH.

Nobody knows why it does this, and I can't believe they still haven't fixed this - it's stupid that your newer model is having the same problem our older ones is!

I don't know why they don't tie it to the units being displayed - mph for mph and kph for kph, instead of this automatic system that gets it wrong as often as it gets it right - Why would a car using mph units be seeing signs in kph!?! And why would there be signs in mph and kph in the same place?? It's utterly nonsensical! :wacko:

As good as Toyota are with their mechanicals, they really suck at software...

It just sees the number in the circle. Perhaps if the eurocrats changed their sign to a square the rsa system will work.

Whilst it remains a number in a circle rsa will remain “DUMB”

Ours brakes by itself at times, it is makes you feel quite nervous tbh, when it first happened I thought ..... Hardly the "you must be in control of the veichle at all times" when I passed my test. Don't like it at all and purely see it as "something else" to go wrong.

Especially here in Wales where parts of A roads are 20mph.

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

As good as Toyota are with their mechanicals, they really suck at software.

VAG also had issues with the speed warnings & limiter only here in the UK due to us using MPH instead of KPH - took VAG a while to fix it.

Peugeot / Citroen also had software issues in the past with an infotainment unit but again only here in the UK ( due to something BBC radio changed ) 

Vehicle manufacturers can have a product tried & tested to work fine in Europe, bring it over here to the UK & sometimes issues then crop up that requires the manufacturer to figure out a software fix.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dazzar said:

I have an annoying car in the sense that I’m driving in a 40 mph road , the car displays 40 on the dash from picking it up from a road sign, but when I hit 30mph the car beeps as if I’m speeding, it does this at any speed sign 10 miles an hour below what is being displayed, Steven Eagell whom the dealership has gone to insist the car must be picking up road signs from the backs of lorries etc even when there are none around me , and just look at me with a dumb look when I say yes but the car is displaying the correct speed limit for the road ……anyone else have this problem.

In the manual it also states that it will use the Map info from the sat nav if it cant find a speed limit sign. I have found if you are in a national speed limit and it sees the sign it will set it to the relevant speed. However if then half way through that road the map data says its a 30 then it will then change it to 30 until either it sees the national speed sign or the map data changes back to national speed. I have found this out because a country road I go down is a national and has signs at the beginning of the road but halfway through there is a little lane and it switches to 30 as I go past that road then a few meters later will switch to national. So I then found a site where they supply map data and you can see that the little road it on there as a 30 and the road is not signed as a 30 so its not picking up any road sign.

This can also happen if you are on a road that is say 40 and it has not seen a sign for a while and you are for example driving in parallel to a 30 the sat nav can get confused and pick up the 30 from the map data.

Its very annoying that is uses the map data since they only update it 4 times a year. I wish there was an option to say if you don't see the sign turn off and let the user know what the speed limit is.

I know you can also configure how fast or how slow you want the speed limiter to be the speed it has seen so perhaps check that setting. I have mine set to if its a 30 I want it to be a 30 but you can set it to say +- 5mph or more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Perhaps get it to see the unrestricted white background / vertical bar and then stop and put a sticker over the camera 🤣😂

Or, instead of having your butler run in front of the car with a red flag, get him to hold up a 70 sign!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, jthspace said:

Perhaps get it to see the unrestricted white background / vertical bar and then stop and put a sticker over the camera 🤣😂

Or, instead of having your butler run in front of the car with a red flag, get him to hold up a 70 sign!

Thats funny about the sticker. I wonder what the focus length on the camera is as you can just see someone making a stick with a sucker on one end for the screen and a picture of a speed sign on the other and stick it to the windscreen. A bit like 5th element film and that man with the empty hall way picture stuck to his head to fool someone looking through the peep hole.

Or if the EU could have said please put in this tech for safety but make it a choice for the user instead of saying put in one of these tech and you have to not allow the user to be able to turn it off indefinitely. Make it by default all turned on as most people will leave it but those that dont be allowed to disable it until they decide to turn it back on. By all means force the car companies to put in the tech as this is a good thing and they wont unless someone pushes them. But in regards to saying you must do one of these items and not allow the user to disable them permanently I think is not such a good thing. I like that we move on with tech & safety but dislike that its forced upon you when the roads are really not up to how the tech can actually work. Just Glad Toyota went for the beeping on the over limit warning and not the haptic feedback on the pedal or steering.

If in the manual it says its up to the user to make sure they are not speeding so it should be up to the user to disable the feature permanently if they dont want it.

ok getting off my soap box now after that Rant 😉

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MardyMarvin said:

If in the manual it says its up to the user to make sure they are not speeding so it should be up to the user to disable the feature permanently if they dont want it.

Unfortunately legislation coming into force in July prevents disabling the system permanently. So owners have no choice but to get used to it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul john said:

It just sees the number in the circle. Perhaps if the eurocrats changed their sign to a square the rsa system will work.

Whilst it remains a number in a circle rsa will remain “DUMB”

The thing is that shouldn't matter at all - The speedometer is set to mph! There is absolutely no reason why the car should even be entertaining the possibility of any numbered sign being in kph! At all!

Literally all they need to do to fix this is make the system read the sign in whatever units the speedo is set to: If it's in mph, read them as mph; If it's in kph, read it in kph!

There is no country in the world where the speed signs are in different units to the speedo units mandated for use in the car!!

It literally makes no sense that it was even programmed to have to guess what units the signs are in in the first place!

18 hours ago, ashmj said:

Ours brakes by itself at times, it is makes you feel quite nervous tbh, when it first happened I thought ..... Hardly the "you must be in control of the veichle at all times" when I passed my test. Don't like it at all and purely see it as "something else" to go wrong.

Especially here in Wales where parts of A roads are 20mph.

Yeah the auto emergency brake really isn't great for use in narrow roads; I get false positives fairly regularly, although I've been mitigating it by leaving even bigger gaps. At least your 20 zones haven't been around long enough to teach pedestrians to run across the road and trigger the AEB yet! :eek: 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The thing is that shouldn't matter at all - The speedometer is set to mph! There is absolutely no reason why the car should even be entertaining the possibility of any numbered sign being in kph! At all!

Literally all they need to do to fix this is make the system read the sign in whatever units the speedo is set to: If it's in mph, read them as mph; If it's in kph, read it in kph!

There is no country in the world where the speed signs are in different units to the speedo units mandated for use in the car!!

It literally makes no sense that it was even programmed to have to guess what units the signs are in in the first place!

Yeah the auto emergency brake really isn't great for use in narrow roads; I get false positives fairly regularly, although I've been mitigating it by leaving even bigger gaps. At least your 20 zones haven't been around long enough to teach pedestrians to run across the road and trigger the AEB yet! :eek: 

Nah sorry

back of a lorry is 100 in a circle. There is no indication of kmh or mph.

just a number in a circle 

toyota system is dumb dumb dumb

speaking as a tech. It Would be better if the system had a “country database” with valid values for rsa , so 100 would be rejected as the “max” UK would be set to NSL (70) and therefore rejected if scanned as too high. 

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0014.webp

Sorry, I think we're talking about two different things... :unsure:

I'm just saying, whatever number the system sees, the units should be determined by what the speedo units are set to.

Stuff like 120mph being an invalid speed limit is just part of the total lack of roadworthiness of the system, along with it misreading signs, missing signs completely, unable to read digital signs reliably (Thanks Smart Motorways!), or reading the wrong sign (i.e. why it thinks the 40mph A406 is 20mph in my car, due to all the 20mph signs on the side roads, which it should be ignoring!!!)

As you say, the whole system is just dumb dumb dumb. Totally unfit for purpose and should never have been ratified for road use in the first place.

I'm all for improving road safety, but this half-baked system does the opposite and should never have been approved for real world use; It's at best beta-test level quality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Sorry, I think we're talking about two different things... :unsure:

I'm just saying, whatever number the system sees, the units should be determined by what the speedo units are set to.

Stuff like 120mph being an invalid speed limit is just part of the total lack of roadworthiness of the system, along with it misreading signs, missing signs completely, unable to read digital signs reliably (Thanks Smart Motorways!), or reading the wrong sign (i.e. why it thinks the 40mph A406 is 20mph in my car, due to all the 20mph signs on the side roads, which it should be ignoring!!!)

As you say, the whole system is just dumb dumb dumb. Totally unfit for purpose and should never have been ratified for road use in the first place.

Agreed

• Like 1

It's good that my new Yaris beeps and flashes when the speed limit changes.  It's not good that when I reach 31mph it beeps at me! Is there any way of turning off the latter whilst keeping the former? 

• Like 1