Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis as first car?

CrazyMango73

Before I start, I am aware it says my car is a t22 avensis, but I haven't actually bought one but have found one which I was planning to buy as a first car (I'm 20 years old). I am sorry if this is against the rules on he forum but I desperately need some advice from people better educated on this topic.

So I found a 2003 t22 vermont avensis with the 1.8 VVT-i engine with only 65k miles! After doing some research, I've come across the fact that the engine in this, the 1ZZ-FE, is a troubled engine since it suffers from the infamous oil consumption issues. I really like the car from what I've seen and thought that with the low insurance, this would be a great first car for me.

Obviously, I will be going for a viewing in 2 days time, but wanted some advice. Is it worth going to see the car if this oil issue is likely to be present? I will check for service history and whether or not the engine was taken back to Toyota.

Should I avoid the risk and go for another car (did find a 08 Swift 1.5 at a similar price, sorry not a Toyota)?

• Like 1

Hi, 

if the Toyota is really in good condition and everything works fine and there is no rust on it with clear MOT  don’t worry too much about oil consumption. Many cars especially those at high mileage does consume oil.
Regular engine oil checks and top ups will do for you.  

And if you want to know if this or any other car in question is an oil burner, when visiting to test drive and inspect the car go to the back and look at the exhaust pipe end, stick your finger there and if you get dirty and oily means indeed it’s oil burner. Cars that does not consume oil has clean exhaust pipes with corrosion yellowish brown colour. 

What colour should I look for to indicate it's dirty and oily?

6 hours ago, CrazyMango73 said:

What colour should I look for to indicate it's dirty and oily?

Tony will probably be back and advise, but in the meantime I'd say black or dark brown , not to be confused with sooty and black (dry).

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I will be going to view the car tomorrow. The dealer can't find the service history since the past owner sadly passed away. MOT's have no advisories/minor advisories. Will have to judge from what I can find. Hopefully, I will have a classic Toyota!

Good luck with it.

I don't wish to be patronising, but given you are 20 , and it's your first car,is there no one who could go with you to have a look?

An older experienced relative or friend maybe.

Otherwise bear in mind that whatever any dealer says may be true or untrue,re the service history or indeed anything else they say.

If you have to look on your own, I suggest having a good read through online check lists for looking at used cars today, so that you are familiar with the main things.

I would look under the oil filler cap for mayonnaise (oil and water mix) bad sign as head gasket going or gone.

And a good look under the bonnet anyway to see if anything looks amiss, loose wires, Battery, general untidiness, and feel if the car engine is warm,been started ready for you looking at it, I bet you are going at a specific time set by the dealer,if me I would go 45 mins or an hour early to see if they are pratting around with jump leads to get it Going.

Expensive consumables, like tyres, exhaust , but most of all rust, rust and rust, which cannot be fixed if it's bad, I don't mean on the body work, I mean underneath where suspension is attached particularly, and behind the cills.

• Like 1

My father is coming with me, experienced driver. I am well aware of what things to look for given that I've been watching people buy old used old cars and turn them for profit (High Peak Autos is good example) on YouTube. I only wanted to have a look at this car since it's a low mileage example of a car not so easy to find anymore, and because of course insurance is low. Will be thoroughly checking the car and since I don't want a money-pit, any negative will throw me off buying the car. Lack of service history has almost stopped me but I thought to myself to at least go and visit it.

A question about rust. I know where to look for it and what it looks like, but I'm aware that rust can be minor/severe. Is there a way to know for sure if the rust is beyond repair/dangerous. Maybe scraping at it to see if it crumbles away?

Will also insist on taking it for a test drive.

I'll put a post on here to update, might interest anyone in my position!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are fixed up with what you need to know then.

As I said, good luck with it, might be a good one.

• Like 1

One more question. If I get the VIN number, is there any way to check the history of the car with Toyota online? Or do they not keep these things on record anymore?

On 6/21/2024 at 5:56 PM, CrazyMango73 said:

One more question. If I get the VIN number, is there any way to check the history of the car with Toyota online? Or do they not keep these things on record anymore?

Hi

you can check but on so old car most likely not. Pass 2010 yes. 
With the reg number you can run various checks online, not history every important,, hpi check for previous accidents or mileage discrepancy etc

just Google these two and run your checks

Mot history will be the most important. 

Thanks! Went to visit the car and was very pleasantly surprised! Everything seemed fine and I made sure to check everything I could. Most notable things were that the oil level was near the max level (dealer had driven 300 miles in it and never changed the oil, so this was a bit reassuring considering the oil issues on these cars, although I know this can happen anytime later); tyres were brand-new (not matching but front and rear did match), no visible rust; AC working and even had a test drive; drove quite well! No advisories for the past 2 MOTs. Will be picking it up next Saturday, excited for my first car but very nervous too since this is a risky purchase. Thanks for the help so far and I will probably (hopefully not) be posting about questions and whatnot. 🙂

• Like 3

Congrats on buying your first car. The oil burning issue or lack off is probably down to a good engine, low mileage example, the engine has either sorted or replaced! It should be easy to maintain and if you are mechanically minded, you can do your own servicing - oil and filter changes. Oil capacity is 3.7 litres. Spark plugs areDenso K16R-U11. The information is with the owners manual or Haynes manual. I used to own a 1998 pre-facelift GLS with the 1.8 leanburn engine. 

Feel free to ask questions. Get yourself an OBD2 scanner which might be useful. Did you get 2 black remote keys plus a grey valet key? That is what the Avensis got. Even my old and current Avensis came with 3 keys. The one thing you will appreciate is the large boot. The rear wipe can play up, especially in intermittent mode. 
If you don't like the audio system, you can replace the head unit and use Toyota to ISO adapter cable, which fairly cheap and no cutting wires. The Speakers may need replacing. I had to replace mine many years ago and fitted 6.5" two way Speakers in all doors. My car had a Sony head unit as standard, so could drive those Speakers easily.
Enjoy the car young man.

Thanks a lot, picking it up tomorrow. It comes with two black keys and a grey one too, previous owner definetely seems to have kept it in good condition. About the head unit, I've watched videos of people removing the whole unit as one. I understand you can then connect up a stereo (was looking at the Sony ones), but then what would you do about the AC vents and the other switches not related to audio (since you've taken out the whole head unit as one)?

• Like 1

Woo! Two master keys AND the valet key!? Now that is a rare find!! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just drove it home and I was so pleasantly surprised. I was very nervous about getting up to motorway speeds and problems starting to pop up, but absolutely nothing wrong with her! Really comfortable, smooth drive and A/C was great considering how hot it was.

I did pick up on an issue however when I was parking at home. Whenever I move the wheel full lock left/right at very low speeds (parking speeds,setting off etc.), there seems to be some squeaking noises, a bit similar to an old door hinge that needs lubrication. The sound comes from the steering wheel column. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I checked power steering fluid, almost near maximum level. I've read that in the summer this can happen due to materials expanding in the heat. It only started creaking near the end of my journey. Other than that, flawless for now and very pleased.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links