Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil, the tail wags the dog - again!

Haliotis

Ms Sarah Finch challenged Surrey County Council, on behalf of Weald Action Group, and added more uncertainty to the UK’s independence on energy.  The Supreme Court judges ruled on a three-to-two majority in favour of the action.  So Finch, her lawyers and the judges (a handful of trouble makers) have created a situation that may adversely affect some 60 million UK subjects and, in the long term, increase the risks of regular power outages.

”I am absolutely over the moon to have won this important case”, says Finch.   Well, bully for her!    With this “important case”  being unlikely to have any measurable effect on global warming, the results on our own ability to generate our energy independent of other countries WILL have a measurable effect.

Finch obviously hasn’t considered (or doesn’t care) about the hundreds of patients who rely on electrically-powered, home-based life support equipment, where a power outage can have life-threatening occurrences.

Also, the products from oil are not limited to energy production - they involve substances for the treatment of medical conditions, some of which are critical in supporting life, and shortages in these areas could mean people may die unnecessarily.  

Our government must curb these activists and their fee-grabbing lawyers, and make the UK operate for the benefit of the many - not the narrow-minded few.

• Like 6

There is always One

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big_D said:

There is always One

Problem is, there’s a heck of a lot of “Ones” and, collectively, they are gradually destroying normal civic society.  If they all get their way, we will eventually be back to shovelling horse poo off our streets, lighting our way to bed with an candle, and slinging chamber pots out of bedroom windows.

Yes, like the Just Stop Oil idiots who sprayed orange paint on Stonehenge. I wonder how they got there. By foot, horse, or bicycle??

they certainly won’t get any support from me by doing idiotic stunts like that

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Big_D said:

Yes, like the Just Stop Oil idiots who sprayed orange paint on Stonehenge. I wonder how they got there. By foot, horse, or bicycle??

they certainly won’t get any support from me by doing idiotic stunts like that

Even more worrying, Bob, is when they sprayed two airplanes at Stanstead airport.  How did they get past security to reach those airplanes?   Could more sinister (terrorist?) groups find access as easily?  And why have we not heard consternation at government level about this?

In this instance, should not the actions of Just Stop OIl be seen as a security breech that requires urgent attention to prevent possibly worse happenings in the future?

• Like 1

I totally agree with you Albert.

• Like 1

I wonder how they got past security to get air side. It seems incredible and, as you say, a real terrorist risk.

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned is that there is rare lichen growing on the stones at Stonehenge and it's only because it's been dry for a few days that that wasn't harmed. 

I have some sympathy with the aims of JSO but not when they do stupid stuff like this. Like those numpties who glued themselves to a tube train, which is electric, mass transport and part of the solution for heaven's sake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crickleymal said:

I wonder how they got past security to get air side. It seems incredible and, as you say, a real terrorist risk.

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned is that there is rare lichen growing on the stones at Stonehenge and it's only because it's been dry for a few days that that wasn't harmed. 

I have some sympathy with the aims of JSO but not when they do stupid stuff like this. Like those numpties who glued themselves to a tube train, which is electric, mass transport and part of the solution for heaven's sake.

They didnt pass through security. They cut a hole on the fence with a portable angle grinder. 

• Like 1

I've got a great idea for these people to help me reduce my oil and energy use....

Give me a couple of million and I can not have to drive to work (saving oil) and I'll grand design something that doesnt use a boiler. Its a win for them and the environment and of course me 😂

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Crickleymal said:

Hah reminds me of that lot going round deflating SUV tyres saying they're bad for the environment, except they've been doing it to EV and hybrid ones too because they can't tell the difference :wacko:

I don't have any sympathy for any of them - They're all hypocrites who want the benefits of oil but not the guilt. 

If they want to encourage people to stop using oil, provide viable alternatives. This is just an excuse to be a rebellious scumbag under the pretence of moral high ground to blame everyone else while ignoring their own complicity.

44 minutes ago, Paul john said:

They didnt pass through security. They cut a hole on the fence with a portable angle grinder. 

That's pretty bad too - Those are supposed to be monitored and alarmed! Clearly they need to start electrifying them too!

It's shocking they could get in that easily - Imagine if they had bombs instead of just spray cans! :eek:  Doesn't bear thinking about :unsure:

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hah reminds me of that lot going round deflating SUV tyres saying they're bad for the environment, except they've been doing it to EV and hybrid ones too because they can't tell the difference :wacko:

I don't have any sympathy for any of them - They're all hypocrites who want the benefits of oil but not the guilt. 

If they want to encourage people to stop using oil, provide viable alternatives. This is just an excuse to be a rebellious scumbag under the pretence of moral high ground to blame everyone else while ignoring their own complicity.

That's pretty bad too - Those are supposed to be monitored and alarmed! Clearly they need to start electrifying them too!

It's shocking they could get in that easily - Imagine if they had bombs instead of just spray cans! :eek:  Doesn't bear thinking about :unsure:

Very true

• Like 1

I believe that any protest group should be required to have a licence to demonstrate, and full declaration of how they intend to demonstrate be given before a licence is granted.

Demonstrating without said licence should carry heavy penalties, and a permanent ban from future activities.

OK, so it may impinge on the freedom to protest, but isn’t that more acceptable than innocent public going about their daily business having their lives seriously disrupted?

I don't see how that could work though as, unless it's a totally independent body free and protected from outside interference, who's going to grant these licences? It'll just become a weapon for less scrupulous types to further manipulate people by denying licences to those they don't like and granting them to those they do.

We already get enough of that manipulation from the media and they're already supposed to be independent!

If I trusted the police more, I would have given them more leeway to use their own judgement for when it crosses the line from "Heey watch yourself" to "Now you're taking the ****" and to act accordingly without having to fear defending themselves all the time, but all the good ones are too scared to act for fear of having to justify everything they do and the bad ones don't care anyway.

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I don't see how that could work though as, unless it's a totally independent body free and protected from outside interference, who's going to grant these licences? It'll just become a weapon for less scrupulous types to further manipulate people by denying licences to those they don't like and granting them to those they do.

We already get enough of that manipulation from the media and they're already supposed to be independent!

If I trusted the police more, I would have given them more leeway to use their own judgement for when it crosses the line from "Heey watch yourself" to "Now you're taking the ****" and to act accordingly without having to fear defending themselves all the time, but all the good ones are too scared to act for fear of having to justify everything they do and the bad ones don't care anyway.

Thats how it used to work. Groups were required to lodge a deposit (1960-1989) for any protest. (Im talking CND / Miners / Anti Vivisection) if any anti social behaviour caused by your group you would lose deposit (Anarchy and Nazi League invading your protest were not counted as they had a different agenda) 

commonly £6000 to pay for “police costs” to cover march

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

I believe that any protest group should be required to have a licence to demonstrate, and full declaration of how they intend to demonstrate be given before a licence is granted.

Demonstrating without said licence should carry heavy penalties, and a permanent ban from future activities.

OK, so it may impinge on the freedom to protest, but isn’t that more acceptable than innocent public going about their daily business having their lives seriously disrupted?

I really can't imaging the Just Stop Oil idiots doing this.

8 hours ago, Crickleymal said:

I have some sympathy with the aims of JSO

I have no sympathy for them, or their cause. Why alienate the same people that you are trying to get to support you. All I see is a bunch of !Removed! who are out to cause problems, and destroy heritage for a cause which I would probably support if they went about promoting it in a decent manner. 

How does defacing Stonehenge, attempting to destroy the Magna Carta, or blocking the M25 gain my support??

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paul john said:

Thats how it used to work. Groups were required to lodge a deposit (1960-1989) for any protest. (Im talking CND / Miners / Anti Vivisection) if any anti social behaviour caused by your group you would lose deposit (Anarchy and !Removed! League invading your protest were not counted as they had a different agenda) 

commonly £6000 to pay for “police costs” to cover march

And that is how it should work now!   The fact that it doesn’t is a prime indication of what happens when a bunch of warped idiots get into power.

Wonton destruction is as old as history itself - “justifiable”(?) vandalism is shrouded in claims that it is carried out to make the general public believe that it is to raise awareness of the threat to our planet.  So these morons will use any guise that they hope will get the public on their side.

Recent actions have come from so many directions, it causes me to wonder if foreign organisations (possibly political) are promoting these idiots into causing harm to our country.

Radicalisation is big business globally, and nobody is immune from falling into the trap.  What worries me is that our government are fearful of the trouble-making minority, are fearful of the courts where money-making lawyers defend the morons, frequently backed by liberally warped judiciary, in spite of the obvious signs that these activists are systematically destroying our inherited culture.  It is even threatening our freedom - which these morons cynically use as a banner to protect their “rights” to protest.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Big_D said:

I have no sympathy for them, or their cause. Why alienate the same people that you are trying to get to support you. All I see is a bunch of !Removed! who are out to cause problems, and destroy heritage for a cause which I would probably support if they went about promoting it in a decent manner. 

How does defacing Stonehenge, attempting to destroy the Magna Carta, or blocking the M25 gain my support??

I didn't say that defacing Stonehenge or similar stupidity was going to gain anyone's support, quite the opposite. I am worried about the way the climate is degenerating and the pathetic responses from various governments 

8 minutes ago, Crickleymal said:

I didn't say that defacing Stonehenge or similar stupidity was going to gain anyone's support, quite the opposite. I am worried about the way the climate is degenerating and the pathetic responses from various governments 

Whilst at school in the 1970’s we were taught 2 degrees was the point of “no return”

just saying…

31 minutes ago, Crickleymal said:

I am worried about the way the climate is degenerating and the pathetic responses from various governments 

Just part of the natural cycle of the planet, tectonic plates movement, heating & cooling cycles where happening long before humans arrived & will continue long after we all die. 

• Like 2

At the Duke of Westminster's wedding recently attended by Prince of Wales in Chester, two old dears were arrested for spraying 2 x fire extinguisher's (Just stop oil) orange. Now those two dears would have queued up for hours, they had the best view in the city outside the Cathedral front doors. They would have had to carry them through town (lots of roads closed for "security" purposes) and have them by there side whilst waiting to set them off, did nobody, including the Police think that two large fire extinguishers look a bit iffy on the floor? Not being funny, they could have been explosives and not just orange paint  

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Just part of the natural cycle of the planet, tectonic plates movement, heating & cooling cycles where happening long before humans arrived & will continue long after we all die. 

Agreed. But why do the so-called scientists harp on about global warming being entirely due to human behaviour, and never broach the possibility that nature is playing a major part in the changes?

My assumption is that it is because they [the scientists] would not get into the spotlight if they simply stated that nature was the cause.

• Like 2

These sorts would slash the seats at a drive in cinema if there was a film on,about natural causes of climate changing.

Rather than their agenda.

The Sun is about half way through its life, turning hydrogen into helium, and is expanding in the process.  The “end” will be gradual - not like suddenly turning off a switch - and the Sun will eventually expand to engulf the solar system.

How can we be sure that some of the global warming isn’t due to this ongoing process?  Perhaps the scientists dare not go down this road because of causing panic.  If it is, and is the major contributor, at some point it will be realised that the green energy pursuit is not working.  What then? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links