Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Setting sat nav destination

Primus1

I used my phone on the way home from work today, tried Apple Maps, I must say it’s very good, just wish I knew how much data it used…?

33 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

just wish I knew how much data it used…?

Can you not see it in your mobile data statistics ?

50 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

just wish I knew how much data it used…?

Apple may be a little different but last week I used Google Maps nav for about 10 hours of driving and it's used about 125 MB.

2 hours was on a saved map segment, the rest was long distance so may use more per hour with the extra map downloads, traffic info and (re)calculations.

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

Can you not see it in your mobile data statistics ?

Considering I’m asking about setting directions, how do I find my way to mobile data…🤔

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Considering I’m asking about setting directions, how do I find my way to mobile data…🤔

Perhaps ironically, Google is your friend: 

To see how much mobile data you've used, go to Settings > Mobile Data or Settings > Cellular.

Full page that extract was from:

Use mobile data on your iPhone or iPad

As with Android the exact location or phrasing may vary with the version and device. But it's in there somewhere ...

• Like 1

Depending on how far into Scotland you are heading, definitely take some offline navigation. You don't want to be reliant on mobile data in the remoter parts. I use Mapy.cz as a backup to Apple Maps. You can download entire regions in advance (make sure you do) and it will do CarPlay navigation without any Internet. The navigation is not as nice as Apple's, but still beats driving with an A-Z on the wheel.

Using nav whilst up here in Bonny Scotland, it doesn’t matter which setting you choose, fastest, shortest, or eco, it just sends you the same way!!, what’s the point in that?

22 minutes ago, hind said:

Maybe alternative routes are not really worth it? 

Dunno, it doesn’t give any…

I've found the Toyota Sat Nav in my Cross the worst I have ever used. Obviously I know my local area but it has tried to take me home on a local loop that would add 5 mins to the last two minute of the journey! Another route that I know meant leaving a roundabout on the A12 and taking the first exit - it told me to take the 4th exit which was heading back up the A12 that I'd just left 180 degrees wrong! Tend to have to use Wazze or Google maps now to be on the safe side.

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Using nav whilst up here in Bonny Scotland, it doesn’t matter which setting you choose, fastest, shortest, or eco, it just sends you the same way!!, what’s the point in that?

I've not been up there for a while but from memory there really aren't many/any alternative routes. Computers can optimise what's available but they can't lay tarmac .. AFAIK.

1 hour ago, dcweather said:

Obviously I know my local area but it has tried to take me home on a local loop that would add 5 mins to the last two minute of the journey!

You may be right (I don't know how 'good' the Toyota nav is) but I've been surprised by the Google version suggesting alternatives that I would have thought daft. I thought I knew my local area, but turns out there are edge cases - live traffic means that sometimes one or other of the possible routes is better.

You either trust you or the tech. Your choice.

Sometimes it's the map data fault. I'm using Google maps for a long time now and it was the worst when I was driving through rural area of Provence. It looked like all the roads had same category assigned and sometimes it was directing me through someone's backyard. 

Not to mention ghost intersections, invalid numbering of roundabout exit etc. 

And this is map data which is quickly updated by both volunteers and with the official support team. 

So imo it's possible that toyota sat nav uses somewhat outdated or incorrect data, especially in recently rebuilt areas or those less popular 

If you use Waze or Google/Apple, they all show alternative ways to your destination, the Toyota doesn’t, it just shows one route with options to take fastest ect, but no matter which you press, it changes nothing…

The Garmin that I use on my motorbike says that I can't turn right into the estate where I live, instead sending me on to where I can turn around and come back so that I can turn left - there is actually a right turn filter there? Also the TomTom that I used to use was often confused by some laybys, telling me to carry straight on. Ultimately satnavs are a tool to be used with caution, but are still better than MrsB reading a map 😉

• Like 1

Don’t get me wrong, the cars sat nav gets me to where I want to go with, as yet, no silly directions, it’s just that, it gives you options to choose three different modes, eco, fastest, shortest, pressing any, makes no difference…what’s the point of that?

Fast ,Eco, Shortest routes may well all be the same depending on the availability of alternate routes to your destination.  My daughter lives in north Bristol.  When I drive there from Devon the Eco route will take me through the centre of Bristol. I like to avoid that so I select the fastest route which is M5, M4, M32.  Even though the journey is almost all motorway it is a much easier drive.

On another journey of 188 miles the last 50 miles following the satnav across country I repeatedly went from one road to another, the journey seemed endless.  For the return journey I chose the  Eco route. It took me along two main roads to get back to the motorway.  I don't know how much longer that route took, but it was 4 miles longer and a lot less stressful. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links