Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota aygo oil

Haych007

Hey there wonder if someone can Help me Does toyota aygo Use lots of oil I topped up couple of months ago today I checked ️  and ther was very little oil the engine oil light didn't  come or my engine didn't  over Heat its strange but very low on oil. Is it because its a vvti engine does it take more oil and how often done need to check this ? Any help would be appreciated please 

It's not normal; They're normally pretty good on oil unless you're constantly red-lining it :laugh: 

Keep an eye on it and keep it topped up with good oil.

Did you only just get it or has it been fine for ages and only recently started doing this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got in October last year  but I asked 1 person he said because its  vvti engine they take more oil I ain't gona lie I have nearly enough red lined  a couple of times and I use Shell oil 5w-30 it's not cheap oil it was very low but the light did not come on I was surprised unless there was still some oil on there, when does the light actually come on

The light is for oil pressure, not oil level - If it comes on it means the oil pressure is too low and usually by then it's too late as that implies the oil pump has failed or the oil has all but gone.

The only way to check oil level is manually with the dip-stick as it is on most cars.

(I've never owned a car that had a warning for oil level before and assumed it was only something you got in higher-end cars!)

I'd say top it up and keep an eye on it to see how it goes down; If it generally doesn't go down except when you've been hooning it you're probably okay, but if it goes down at a fairly constant rate no matter what you do, there is likely a leak somewhere.

The VVTi isn't like Honda VTEC and has literally no effect on oil consumption.

BTW, if 5w30 isn't cheap oil you're probably overpaying and should find a better source - That is literally the cheapest oil used in any Toyota car right now, and one of my local dealers would give a 5L bottle of it away for free if you bought a service kit from them!

My current Toyota uses 0w8 - Now that is expensive oil!! :eek: 

(Okay I looked and it has gone up a lot; The dealer wanted something like £25-30 for a 5L bottle of 5w30 back then but now it's £60+?! :eek: What the heck!? :eek:  Still, you can get it from places like Opie Oils for £25-30 for 5L still...)

• Like 2

OK so what do you think because I've googled it and it's giving me 5w-30 oil for toyota aygo no other choice of oil

5w30 is the correct oil, I'm just saying it shouldn't be as expensive as you were mentioning

Yeh £60 for 5ltr Shell ultra, well to be honest the light didn't come on I just out the blue washes my car and I just checked lipstick was nearly bone dry when I start the car all the lights come on then go off on dashboard if it was low im assuming the light would stay illuminated right 

• Like 1

I got Shell Helix fully synthetic 5W30 from Carparts4less for £26 for 4 litres.

And we have 2 Aygos both 2008 vintage and they hardly use any oil. A bit perhaps, might top up once between services which we do at about 8k.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

5w30 is the correct oil

Is it? The Aygo had the Optimal Drive improvements from January 2009, when 0W-20 became Toyota's preferred oil.

• Like 1

Ooh good point I forgot about that; That said the 1KR was originally designed to run on 5w30 and to my knowledge they didn't make any significant changes for the 0w20, just mandated it for the lower CO2, so the tolerances won't be a problem with using 5w30 (Unlike the newer engines which were designed with the 0w?? oils in mind from the ground up!)

1 hour ago, Haych007 said:

Yeh £60 for 5ltr shell ultra, well to be honest the light didn't come on I just out the blue washes my car and I just checked lipstick was nearly bone dry when I start the car all the lights come on then go off on dashboard if it was low im assuming the light would stay illuminated right 

Yeah that's way too much for 5w30, that stuff is probably for sports cars or something - Overkill for an Aygo!* - Opie Oils or Crickleymal's source should be much cheaper for the same sort of oil.

As I said, the oil warning light is for PRESSURE, not level, so even if the oil level is low, the oil warning light will NOT stay on as long as there is enough oil pressure, which there will be unless there is so little oil the engine is already being damaged.

Just top it up to the max mark and check it every couple days and let us known how much the oil level is dropping between checks.

*Well, unless you are racing it in the Toyota Sprint Series or something, like some of our past members were! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Oil light can come on when even full with oil. 
You had just enough to maintain pressure.
The engine oil light is for oil pressure, not for oil level.  
Oil level should be checked by the driver and how often depending on mileage/ use. If you drive a lot weekly checks and golden, if not at least once every 3-4 weeks. 
Since your oil level been low, and if the oil hasn’t been changed in the last 6 months best is to replace with new and new filter.
0w20 is better oil than 5w30. Petronas offer good quality oils https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323898171325?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3hyRrutZQQ-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Keep oil at max all the time is the best practice.
Driving with low oil level usually increases internal engine temperature and cooks the oil quicker., burns it and makes it darker with all following consequences. Vvti engines does not consume more oil., wrong information, perhaps purposely been told that . 

• Like 2

So what oil is better 5w30 or 0w30

It's horses for courses really. 0w20 is more expensive than 5w30. You'll get slightly better fuel economy and engine responsiveness with 0w20 but may find the engine a bit more tappity and possibly more oil consumption compared with 5w30.

If in doubt go with what your manual recommends.

This is all a bit moot if yours has an oil leak though - How's the oil levels been since you topped it up?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links