Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing power multiple times per journey

Caveman2212

Morning all, apologies if this has been covered before but I searched the data base and couldn't find anything.

I have an Avensis 2.2 T180 2007.

Problem I have is when driving down the motorway the car loses all power via the throttle and the usual lights come on. 

The only way I can 'fix' it is by turning the ignition on and off again, and this resets the car and it runs properly again for about a mile or so, then same again. (not very safe at 70mph!)

I noticed that when this issue occurs, there literally is no power. Unlike when the EGR valve sticks it goes into limp mode and there is a little bit of response from the engine to keep you going in some form or another. 

The EGR valve is clean and other than this new issue, it runs pretty well. 

I wondered if the throttle body is sticking or something like that. 

Many thanks for your time

Does it throw up any diagnostic codes?

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Does it throw up any diagnostic codes?

Yes, P0093. I understand that this could be the SCV. I found it and took it off to have a look at it, the movement of the slider inside was smooth and the 2 holes on either side were not blocked. The ohms reading through the 2 pins was 2.8ohms. Don't know if this is correct. 

How did you check the movement of the slider inside?

I experienced similar on my Golf and for me the starter motor needed replacing. That fixed it! Not sure if it applies to your situation.

I've had fun switching engine off while car is in motion then back on and it runs for a while but not a long term solution lol

Is yours a diesel? You kept saying throttle which threw me, as diesels don't have throttles, but I'm sure the T180 is a diesel.

If so, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I have a feeling it might be getting clogged, esp. if this happens mostly when you're at higher accelerator loads. And I mean the one in the engine bay, not the one in the tank.

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is yours a diesel? You kept saying throttle which threw me, as diesels don't have throttles, but I'm sure the T180 is a diesel.

If so, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I have a feeling it might be getting clogged, esp. if this happens mostly when you're at higher accelerator loads. And I mean the one in the engine bay, not the one in the tank.

Yes sorry, it's a diesel. Not sure if it's been changed recently. I've not done it. Will have a look at it and get a new one to rule it out. 

23 hours ago, kiddo said:

How did you check the movement of the slider inside?

I used a terminal driver to gently push it back. 

Just to add, the car runs OK around town and the like, just seems to have the issue when I'm on the motorway. 

I will remove the SCV on Friday and operate it using a variable dc voltage and clean it with some carbon cleaner. See if anything comes out of it. 

Update. I measured the fuel rail pressure and it was fluctuating between 22000kpa and 46000kpa which is quite a bit different to the ideal 35000. 

Have changed the SCV to a longer, newer type and now it's fluctuating between 32000 and 39000. 

Will run the car for a few weeks and see what happens. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links