Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo clutch

jimlonsdale

My 2018 Aygo with only 20400 miles on needs a new clutch.

I can't believe it is failing after such a low mileage.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Manual or X-Shift?

My aygoII (manual) used to have a badly adjusted clutch which can leads to premature clutch failure.

The automatic, which are in fact robotic shifted manual, are known for actuator and clutch problems, also in earlier stages of their life.

Met someone this week with a citroen c3, same automatic system, who had to replace the actuator on around 25000 miles.

It's a weak system in any brand or model.

Has the clutch cable (Manual) ever been adjusted ? as long as it hasn't been driven hard with a slipping clutch an adjustment will sort it

555055913_KGB40clutchadj1.thumb.jpg.bc3ffe42042ff56004274c17cb5e8bb3.jpg

1607236204_KGB40clutchadj.thumb.jpg.ac556585cc362ed1e2be4824be7083fe.jpg

• Like 1

I found the cable imho being badly adjusted on delivery. Dealer said it was ok.

After one year they found the clutch really needing adjusting although it was kind of the same situation. 

Clutch not slipping but very narrowly on the edge.

I ordered the new aygo that came out meanwhile, traded the aygoII in and told them the clutch still needed adjusting. As from that moment I am driving the newer aygoX and the clutch adjustment isn't my problem any more.

On 6/27/2024 at 5:27 PM, haelewyn said:

I found the cable imho being badly adjusted on delivery.

I have had this cable adjusted many times by the service centre/dealer on the MMT but after a couple of weeks the problems return again such as juddering and slipping clutch.

Any idea why this is happening with the cable?

16 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I had the manual gearbox. Must be an other system.

It still has a clutch cable. Just that it is in a different location I believe. When you adjust it some of the problems I noted go away for a while. The car also creeps forward and in reverse in a much slower manner. But then after a few weeks things go back to normal.

Can someone explain what could be causing this?

Maybe if someone could explain what the clutch cable does that would help.

4 minutes ago, WazWii said:

It still has a clutch cable. Just that it is in a different location I believe. When you adjust it some of the problems I noted go away for a while. The car also creeps forward and in reverse in a much slower manner. But then after a few weeks things go back to normal.

Can someone explain what could be causing this?

Maybe if someone could explain what the clutch cable does that would help.

no clutch  cable on an MMT just an electric motor that pushes a clutch fork the motor position can be fine tuned by sliding the the motor forwards

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21-06-10_faq_multimode_en.htm

the later MMT boxes (X-Shift) are a lot more refined and have most of the problems resolved but as these cars age the early type faults pop up

it is not uncommon for a MMT to need a clutch between 40-70k miles especially if it is/was just used locally and/or low speeds (shopping trolley)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

no clutch  cable on an MMT just an electric motor that pushes a clutch fork the motor position can be fine tuned by sliding the the motor forwards

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21-06-10_faq_multimode_en.htm

the later MMT boxes (X-Shift) are a lot more refined and have most of the problems resolved but as these cars age the early type faults pop up

it is not uncommon for a MMT to need a clutch between 40-70k miles especially if it is/was just used locally and/or low speeds (shopping trolley)

Are you sure about that? The dealer adjusted something with my gearbox many times and it was much smoother and problems went away for a while. They were adjusting something for sure. To do it again they want to charge now. 

That is why I posted the link so you can see for yourself, also if you would like to google Aygo C553a the only adjustment is the clutch actuator. or they may have just done a relearn to recalibrate the clutch position

• Like 2

23 hours ago, flash22 said:

That is why I posted the link so you can see for yourself, also if you would like to google Aygo C553a the only adjustment is the clutch actuator. or they may have just done a relearn to recalibrate the clutch position

Yup those must have been it then. They seemed to make the problems go away for a while.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links