Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant loss, how much is normal?

nielshm

I filled up my  washer fluid yesterday, and noticed my coolant was at minimum level.
I'm not sure how often the dealer tops up coolant, maybe it's only every 30.000 km.?? I've just never seen the coolant level so low.

I've just been to Le Mans, a 3.000 km. drive, 95% motorway with 130 km/h, so maybe there's some evaporation?

Next service is in 2.000 km., car has now 163.000 km. on the clock. I will keep an eye on the coolant level in the next months, after the next service.

Maybe the dealer forgot to top up coolant the last time, in that case I don't think anything is wrong. But if the coolant was filled to max. level 13.000 km. ago, I'm not sure if I should be worried.

You should top up the coolant to the Full mark and monitor the level every day or so as you probably have a leak if you have lost that much coolant.

Prime suspects would be a leaking radiator or a failing water pump.

Whatever it is, do not wait "months" before acting upon it  or you may be left standed with an overheat engine when you least want it.

If checking things out wait until the engine is cold, do not mess around under the bonnet while the engine is hot in case something suddenly leaks /sprays  boiling hot water out.

• Like 1

Mine hasn't used any between servicing. I assume they're topping it up.

I've had it over 2 years and done about 18k miles.

Maybe the dealer didn’t  top up coolant as part of the service. 
Coolant loss in small amounts is normal for any car especially when used in hot summer days. I do top up around 400-600ml per year or 35-50k miles intervals. Just watch the level regularly and have a look along all components for any possible leaks, including throttle body and egr. 
I always have a pink Toyota ready mixed coolant at home and top up sometimes, in my car the difference between min and max is probably around 150-200ml. 

In my experience with various makes and dealers, unless the coolant is actually below the 'Low' mark, many simply do not bother topping it up at all on a service. I find it very annoying, and usually buy the correct coolant and top them up myself. 

• Like 2

I pulled the dipstick to check engine oil. 

Color and smell seems normal like always, I don't think coolant is getting in the oil. 

Brake fluid is slightly overfilled, so it seems fluid levels are beeing checked. 

20240629_201640.jpg

20240629_201553.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, nielshm said:

I pulled the dipstick to check engine oil. 

Color and smell seems normal like always, I don't think coolant is getting in the oil. 

Brake fluid is slightly overfilled, so it seems fluid levels are beeing checked. 

20240629_201640.jpg

20240629_201553.jpg

And engine oil seems overfilled too. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

And engine oil seems overfilled too. 

It's allways like that. Seems like 0.25 l. extra. I trust they use their experience, and knows what they are doing. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links