Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre pressure

Crazy horse

13 minutes ago, Crazy horse said:

What is the correct tyre pressure for a Corolla hybrid 

Size depends upon model.   Make and type, e.g summer, winter, all-season, is up to you.   Could you be a bit more specific?

1 minute ago, Xanadu_999 said:

Tyre pressure!

Oops, a Specsavers moment!

However... also depends upon tyre size, which depends upon model, etc..   For my Icon TS, with 16" wheels, it's 2.5 bar front, 2.4 bar rear (for speeds up to 100 mph).

17 minutes ago, SDR said:

Oops, a Specsavers moment!

Not really. He failed to write the word "pressure" in the opening post, and you answered while I was editing it.

I need to learn how to type faster!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xanadu_999 said:

Not really. He failed to write the word "pressure" in the opening post, and you answered while I was editing it.

I need to learn how to type faster!

Ah, thank you, I was beginning to think that I was losing the plot!

• Haha 1

For my icon with 16 inch wheels standard is 36 front 35 rear, but I've found an improvement with 37 front and 36 rear.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sportse said:

For my icon with 16 inch wheels standard is 36 front 35 rear, but I've found an improvement with 37 front and 36 rear.

Interesting, mine are the same (I use bar rather than psi but same thing).   May I ask what tyres you have?

Mine are Conti Ecocontact 6 which, like most eco tyres, are on the firm side.   I thought that the standard pressures were already quite high so I haven't tried any higher. 

Mine are Bridgestone ecopia EP150s , the extra 1 pound has improved the ride a bit as they were slightly wallowy in corners. 

I’ve driven a VW golf with the same size 16 inch tyres and the standard pressures recommended all round were 36. They did used to have an optional ‘comfort’ pressure that was a few pounds lower, 32 I think, but you get slightly less mpg so they changed to only giving the higher one. 

The Bridgestones are a good all round tyre, in the freezing temperatures the grip was good and they are ok in the rain. For an eco tyre the overall grip is fine, but a slightly softer compound would be better as occasionally they can slip when accelerating even on the move. That may be due to the higher power in the facelift 1.8 as it can accelerate quite well if the speeds are right. 

• Like 2

I must say, I've consistently found that going a few PSI above the Toyota-rated pressures, esp. on heavier models than the base-line petrol model (e.g. a diesel or hybrid), has resulted in better handling, braking, tyre life and mpg at the cost of reduced ride comfort.

• Like 1

In the past I have always added 2psi to the manufacturers figures and never had a problem with tyre wear.  However with my Corolla I have reverted to the recommended settings because the low profile tyres and firmish suspension give a harsher ride than I would like.  I prefer comfort over super-duper handling, must be an age thing.  

• Like 2

I'm very used to the VW Group practice of, typically, giving three sets of recommended tyre pressures (normal, comfort and high load/speed).   What I have noticed over the years is that it wasn't so long ago that recommended pressures for a typical mid-size 'family' car would likely have been in the range 28-32 psi.   Now mid 30s seems typical.  For sure, cars have got heavier, etc., but I suspect that some of it is the search for better emission and fuel consumption data in official tests.

I'm quite happy with the comfort (Icon spec, 16" wheels, 55 profile tyres) and am sticking with the recommended pressures for now.   I don't find that it wallows in corners but the Ecocontact 6 tyres are typically firm eco tyres and, in any case, my driving style prioritises comfort over performance these days...

I'll probably do the same as I've done with cars in the past, i.e. check the tyre wear as the miles build up.   If the tread seems to wearing more in the centre than the edges, reduce pressures a bit, and vice-versa.

• Like 4

The most important thing when doing tyre pressure is to check and adjust on cold which means before driving off and before the sun sees the car. 
These two are ultra important because both variables can add lots of psi and offset your measurements. 
You can always do little bit extra pressure and be ok , although little bit too much will significantly reduce comfort, handling, braking distance, and acceleration. Increase tyre wear and road noise.
Higher tyre pressure reduces tyre grip. ⚠️
Stay close to the recommended numbers on cold , do regular pressure checks, rotate tyres every 5-10k miles, avoid unnecessary harsh acceleration and braking, reduce speeds in corners and roundabouts and your tyres will last good miles 30-50k and even more.
For Toyota Corolla best size is 205/55 16. 

• Like 2

I think although there is a 'safe' pressure, which is usually around the low 30s, there is no one optimal pressure - It varies between car and even tyre (e.g. high-speed and load rated and XL tyres can get away with lower pressures than softer sidewalled normal tyres), and needs a bit of trial and error to find.

It's best to err on the side of too high than too low though - Even at the 60psi my Yaris was handed over to me at the acceleration, handling, braking etc. were still excellent, just the ride was noticeably very hard and it was more understeery in fast corners than I'd expected, though still very controllable.

However, too low will reduce tyre life, esp. at higher speeds, and lead to friction punctures as the sidewall rubbing eventually overheats and wears through the sidewall. It also makes handling, and braking worse as the tyre flops about more instead of maintaining contact pressure with the road.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links