Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 XLE high rpm, no accel on highway going 70mph.

KURTIE

Traveling down the highway in ECO mode at 70mph, I put the accelerater pedal down to gain speed to pass a vehicle going 60mph.

Very high RPM and no acceleration occurs.  This feels like a disconnect between now quickly, and fast  I want to speed up versus the very high acceleration of RPM.  I mean my Rav4 must increase it"s speed like a sluggish turtle when I'm commanding a very high RPM to pass the vehicle ahead of me. 

Why is this happening? Can this me corrected? Is there a mechanical disconnect between RPM and accel speed?

Eventually after not gaining any speed I let off on the accelerator pedal and the ROM goes back down and threatened is pretty much constant where it was before I depressed the accellerator pedel.

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed.

7 hours ago, KURTIE said:

Very high RPM and no acceleration occurs.

Sounds like a slipping clutch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xanadu_999 said:

Sounds like a slipping clutch.

That’s what sounds like but XLE is a top spec trim for USA cars and rarely they have manual transmission. Perhaps it’s a cvt issue or hybrid ecvt can do sometimes like that , although if pushed hard they always accelerate respectively. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KURTIE said:

Very high RPM and no acceleration occurs.

Can you please clarify which engine and transmission your car has?

All European RAV4s are hybrid, but that isn't the case for North America and/or the rest of the world ...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the Rav4 XLE2021 is all wheel drive with a 2.5 hp engine. Transmission is automatic, ECO mode on the highway in eco mode going 70 to pass another vehicle and the rpms go to 4-5 thousand  with minimum acceleration. What is wrong with this vehicle?

Similar topics merged.

What, if any, investigation has been done - eg. has the vehicle been booked Into dealer or other garage 're the issue?

3 hours ago, KURTIE said:

Yeah, the Rav4 XLE2021 is all wheel drive with a 2.5 hp engine. Transmission is automatic, ECO mode on the highway in eco mode going 70 to pass another vehicle and the rpms go to 4-5 thousand  with minimum acceleration. What is wrong with this vehicle?

I suspect that the answer may be 'nothing' ... but take it to your dealer to have it checked.

I am assuming that this is a North American, gasoline powered car - not a hybrid. It's a naturally aspirated engine (not turbo-charged). The drive is an eight-speed automatic transmission. We don't have this set-up over in the UK so it will be difficult for folk over here to comment from first-hand knowledge.

I believe that it uses the Dynamic Force Engine as described here - or a newer derivative thereof. Peak torque / best acceleration is delivered at around 4800 rpm - so the transmission should change down to match that sweet-spot for acceleration. And that is what it appears to be doing ...

The question then is what is the OP used to driving and whether this is an issue of perception (or an actual fault)? After all, it would appear that the car has accelerated happily to 70 mph in the first place ... ?

Hey Philip42h, as I was reading your comment and details about this "sweet spot" looking at the charts available, it appears 4000rpm is where the acceleration ramp begins to take place.  However, please correct me if I am wrong.  This is not a wise move from Toyota, the best option in my opinion was to replace the RAV4 engine with one that is in the Camry or Lexus.  It sure would have helped Toyota's reputation with an engine that can do some great passing of other cars on the highway without having to get those high rev's going for the minimal acceleration produced.  Actually, yes I'm not too fond of an engine winding out to such high rev's because it sounds like the engine is going to blow up. Ahh, yes, I hope Toyota sacrificed better gas mileage for power on the pedal.  This decision may well have far reached consequences in sales.

29 minutes ago, KURTIE said:

the best option in my opinion was to replace the RAV4 engine with one that is in the Camry

It's the same engine ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links