Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT Emissions Test and Timing Chains

ianmak

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Yaris D4D with it's MOT coming up. The engine has done 140k and I suspect is in its way out with oil leaks at a gasket (I suspect something has blown somewhere), vapour coming out of the oil filler cap when running, and now a regular ticking noise at start up and occasional when warm. Should I just cancel the MOT and get it diagnosed or just get it done and pray it doesn't snap during it's emissions test? Bearing in mind I'm not sure it's worth spending a fortune to replace the chain and/gaskets due to to age of the vehicle... And thoughts welcomed!

I don't think it's unusual for vapour to come out of the oil filler cap - Virtually every car I've owned will do that when the engine's at operating temperature. That's why it's supposed to be closed when the engine is running!

The D4D is a pretty bullet-proof engine if you've been keeping on top of the regular oil changes, although yours is right on the edge of when they had some head gasket issues so it may be that it needs replacing - Check your coolant for contamination, but if you're not getting that mayonnaise-like guck in the oil-filler and aren't experiencing any coolant loss you're probably okay.

It's hard to tell from the video, but there's something that sounds maybe like a bearing is on its way out - Maybe one of the serpentine/aux belt idlers, but would need some closer inspection to figure out which!

I'm pretty sure the engine would sail through an MOT; I'd be more worried about other things, as the Mk1s tend to fail on rust more than anything else at this age!! :eek: :laugh: 

Thanks for your reply Cyker, it's a strange one. When warm it doesn't tick unless under acceleration or throttling from idle, I'll hear it tick just as I stop accelerating. Another video here... A friend also suggests pulleys...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links