Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tire pressure higher than suggested

SchwiftyPickle

Hi there,

The manual says to check the required tire pressure on the sticker next to the driver's seat. Mine says 33psi for the front and 32psi for the rear. The actual pressure when cold is 41psi for all tires. Is this normal/safe?

Yaris Cross 2024
Tires: ZIEX ZE010B 205/65R16 95H

Thanks

IMG_20240629_203924.jpg

IMG_20240629_212653.jpg

IMG_20240629_204332.jpg

IMG_20240629_212835.jpg

It'll be whatever it's been set to. It's probably not dangerous, but I suspect also not optimal and probably gives a harder ride than it's meant to.

• Like 3

Dealership hasn't bothered to check/adjust tyre pressures during PDI. It seems it's common for the factory to overinflate them

• Like 3

Usually pre-delivery Pressures are much higher - Mine were at 60 psi!

It's ostensibly to stop the tyres developing a flat-spot during storage and transport where they're just sat still for long periods.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SchwiftyPickle said:

The manual says to check the required tire pressure on the sticker next to the driver's seat. Mine says 33psi for the front and 32psi for the rear. The actual pressure when cold is 41psi for all tires. Is this normal/safe?

As others have said, it's kinda normal on new cars but it's absolutely not right. Set them to what the sticker says - cleverer people than us have worked out that those are the right values. (Pressures that far from spec could be an excuse to invalidate insurance in the event of an accident.) (No, I've no idea if it's ever happened, but if I was an investigator it would certainly be on my report.)

• Like 4

My RAV4 had similar high pressures when I picked it up from the dealers, they too seem to have forgotten to adjust them during the PDI - there seems to be a theme here. I adjusted them to the correct values straight away, overinflated tyres to that degree give a harsher ride must affect the grip levels. 

• Like 3

My AWDi states a different psi, i assume its because its the AWDi model ?

I checked with my tyre inflator and the front are 32 and rear 31.  Should I adjust them, especially since I very rarely have any passengers in the back !!

Those are my inflator readings, how do I get the cars tyre readings on the screen ?

17197707566821789019411941799519.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I checked with my tyre inflator and the front are 32 and rear 31.  Should I adjust them, especially since I very rarely have any passengers in the back !!

Those are my inflator readings, how do I get the cars tyre readings on the screen ?

For the reasons other people mentioned above I would adjust the pressure to match what the sticker says. 

You can find the tyre pressure levels from main menu > vehicle > tyre pressure tab.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

The difference in tyre pressure between your car and op it’s because of the wheels + tyres sizes , you have 18” and he has 16” 

The best is to stick to these manufacturers recommended numbers or just do slightly above, but not too much. In your case I will do fronts at 2.3 bar and rears at 2.1 bar on cold. 

• Like 4

No matter where the blame may lie on whom sets the pressure high. It is down to you as the driver to Check and Adjust to the correct pressure.

if the pressure is 9psi over at cold. For gods sake let some air out. 

• Like 3

Indeed, unless your name is Tsuchiya Keiichi :laugh: 

I will say double-check the label matches your tyres rather than blindly setting the pressures - One issue I have nowadays is garages sometimes deflate my tyres to what it says on the plate, but the plate is for 17" rims and not the 15" rims I have now, which are rated for higher pressures!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would respectively suggest not relying on the pressures transmitted from the tyres' sensors and displayed on the screen. Check them  yourself, regularly, with a decent gauge and trust that. It's the driver's responsibility (still) not a compluter's. Their condition/tread can also be visually checked at the same time.

• Like 3

Yes indeed, set the pressure to what the sticker says.

But do it yourself, with a good gauge in the same garage.

If you drive like me (and all our beloved grannies), you can add 0.1 bar/1.5 psi to those figures...

I've been doing this for over a decade, and the wear of the tyres is almost perfect (according to what the mechanic says...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

I would respectively suggest not relying on the pressures transmitted from the tyres' sensors and displayed on the screen. Check them  yourself, regularly, with a decent gauge and trust that. It's the driver's responsibility (still) not a compluter's. Their condition/tread can also be visually checked at the same time.

In any case the values transmitted by sensors are quite precise.  I don't see any significative difference between the reading of sensors and my inflater gauge.

After inflating/deflating tyres wait 30 sec/1 minute before checking the reading of tyres sensors.

I adjusted my tyre pressures today as per the sticker in the driver's door and the car has detected I was playing with it 😄.

How do I clear the tyre warning light ?

17198580869415309738123155321600.jpg

Go into the tyre pressure setting, set it and drive for a bit, it then sets at current pressure.

3 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Go into the tyre pressure setting, set it and drive for a bit, it then sets at current pressure.

So the sensors don't detect the pressures ? It has to be done manually ? Not that I'm griping, just curious 🧐 

The sensor does detect the pressure, hence when you reduced over it's tolerance the low pressure light comes on. So now you have to set it at current pressure but unfortunately have to drive a bit for it to set. Yes I don't know why they do it this way? 🤷‍♂️

When I had the MK3 Yaris all I had to do was push and hold the reset button down the drivers knee. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RickyC said:

In any case the values transmitted by sensors are quite precise.  I don't see any significative difference between the reading of sensors and my inflater gauge.

After inflating/deflating tyres wait 30 sec/1 minute before checking the reading of tyres sensors.

That still doesn't excuse not checking them yourself with a good gauge. The screen can't warn of, e.g. a bulge in a tyre wall or any other potential defect.

Too much reliance on gimmicks and screen displays now.

18 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

I cannot find any way to enter the actual tyre psi numbers !!

The instructions in the manual are crap 

PXL_20240702_131819214.MP.jpg

I have actually done what's in the attached video, before I even found the video.  But when I go back in to view tyre pressures, there's none there !!

So the warning light has gone, so according to this video, I have reset them and they should register themselves with the vehicle (according to another video I found).

Is there a way to see the psi numbers in the car on the screen ?

38 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I cannot find any way to enter the actual tyre psi numbers !!

The instructions in the manual are crap 

PXL_20240702_131819214.MP.jpg

you dont, to be honest its fairly clear in the manual see below, you might also want to change the measurement to PSI if you are more use to that rather then BAR page 393 on the manual I have for a cross:

Tire inflation pressure

It may take a few minutes to display the tire inflation pressure after the power switch is turned to ON. It may also take a few minutes to display the tire inflation pressure after inflation pressure has been adjusted.

Tire inflation pressure changes with temperature. The displayed values may also be different from the values measured using a tire pressure gauge.

Mine are set to psi, thats what I prefer.

I've have done what I set out to do, all I want to know now, is if I go back into the same tyre setting place, will it show my actual tyre settings ? because they are still all blank, like in the photo I showed earlier.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links