Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota approved body shop - a tale of caution…..

Flatcoat

This is not a RAV specific issue but a word of caution regarding alleged Toyota approved body shops. My wife pranged the front of the RAV last October in a low speed parking shunt. The repairs were approved and the car booked in to the insurers approved body shop that also had Toyota and Lexus approval. The repair was finally carried out in December. About 2-3 weeks after collecting the car I noted a panel gap issue between the front grille/bumper and driver side wing. Took it back and booked it in for rectification. Went to collect and no improvement. ‘They are all like that, it’s the way they are made makes it difficult to return to as new’…… Evrn showed me a 10 year old RAV with poor panel gap as evidence why my 2 year old repaired car should be acceptable, apparently. I went to my supplying Toyota dealer and spoke with the body shop manager. He took one Quick Look and rattled off a list of faults including dodgy paint on the new bumper/grille. 
I contacted my insurer, sent photos of the car along with comparison photos of a new RAV. The assessor was instructed to visit who also agreed the repair was sub standard and I could take the car to the body shop of my choosing. After delay due to holidays the car was finally booked in, stripped down. The new grille/bumper was partially held on with double sided sticky tape; the driver side wing is bent as a result of trying to fit the bumper/gtille; the vertical front ‘sub frame’ that attaches to chassis legs and onto which the assembly is located is bent; the parking sensors have been glued instead of fitted with clips; the new bumper was clearly not prepared correctly and the paint is peeling off (see photo). 
in my view the original repair was fraudulently carried out. If I had ignored it come trade-in or sale time I would have been selling an accident damaged car. The original body shop is part of a very large premium dealer group who - subject to forum rule - I would like to name and shame. The body shop now repairing the car is Burrows of Doncaster and who are proving immensely helpful. 

IMG_9863.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

The original body shop is part of a very large premium dealer group who - subject to forum rule - I would like to name and shame.

Go ahead.

• Like 2

The body shop who made a mess of the repair is Evans Halshaw of Leeds. They were given a chance to rectify the problem and didn’t. 

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of insurance approved body shops - they have a never ending list of cars to repair so don't really care about reputation & mainly do poor repairs.

Used to be a NON insurance approved body shop near me, took at least 6 weeks to get booked in as they worked from reputation & word of mouth from many happy customers, all the mini cab lads used to go there to. They refused to do any insurance repairs as they wasn't worth the hassle for the money they would pay. 

• Like 1

I will also be notifying Toyota of the need to review their approved body shop. Behind this is also the huge amount of time I have spent making endless and often lengthy phone calls, to-ing and fro-ing to the respective body shops and simply should not have had to deal with this. Totally unacceptable. 

Im sorry but my experences with my insurance bodyshop (LV) was CRAP with a capital CRAP

they swirled the paintwork and fkd up the ceramic coat.

many arguments later Toyota Approved bodyshop sorted it.

btw Evans Halshaw are probably your problem also dont go near ABL OneTouch

I know EH are the problem. So far my insurer has been quite reasonable. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links