Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Replacement for 2022 Yaris at 28k kilometers?

magda975

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to get some advice regarding my 2022 Toyota Yaris. I recently took it to the dealership for its regular service, and everything seemed fine. However, I got a call from them saying that I might need to replace my tyres soon. This seems odd because my car is only 2 years old and has just 28,000 km on it. I was under the impression that tyres should last longer than this, especially since I mostly drive on regular city roads with occasional highway trips.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with their Yaris or other Toyota models? Could there be a specific reason why my tyres are wearing out faster than expected? I'm looking for insights or advice on what might be causing this and if I should consider getting a second opinion before replacing them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

I have just replaced the 2 front tyres (Falken 205/65R/16) on my Yaris Cross at 17k miles which is 27.2km. 

Both back tyres have 4mm of tread.

• Like 1

I wonder if the excessive wear with the Cross tyres is because it's heavier?

My 175/65R15 original Dunlops were replaced at 40k, with a tread remaining of about 5mm. The reason was MoT advisory because of age deterioration. I knew about that and intended to replace anyway.

Now have 4 x Falkens fitted.

I would check what is written re tread depth on their condition report - do they still carry out that inspection during a service?

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!
It's a 2022 Hybrid Yaris Luna Sport, not the Cross. Over the phone, they told me the tread depth is close to 3mm, which is the minimum recommended. I'll take a closer look at the condition report when I pick up the car. They didn’t have the right size tyres in stock, so they weren't replaced yet. If the tread is really at 3mm, I'll need to sort out replacements soon. Thanks again!

• Like 2

For the front 2 tyres, not surprised, that's 17500 miles, so about 30-32km when it needs replacing. City driving is what is eating the tread, motorway uses less. The back should normally get 2x the front km.

3mm minimum legal in EU?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

First you will need to establish if the tyres are really down to 3mm , how they wear , if equally across the tread, and how much wear is between front and rear.
Take a picture of the tyres and the report, share with us and we can suggest.

Toyota hybrids cars aren’t any heavier than standard petrol cars of the same sizes so weight it’s not a factor.
What is the difference from a few years ago is business model,- dealers are pushing for extra cash, economic situation of the world every single business and especially car sales are slow at the moment,. and tyres compound- since few years tyre manufacturer are using more and more organic materials in their rubber mixture and so tyres wear faster than before. 
After all driving style and patterns are the major factor, city and town drives simply kills the tyres quickly. Long motorway relaxed driving, tyres can last ages. If your tyres are indeed down to 3mm you can easily keep driving with them until October and replace with all 4 new tyres, ready for the winter season. 

• Like 2

Whilst 1.6 is the MINIMUM tread depth in the UK, we certainly advise tyres are replaced at 3mm. You certainly don't want to be heavy braking on a wet/slushy/snowy/muddy road with minimum tread depth. There are a lot of factors to tyre wear, style of driving and tyre pressures being the significant factor, better be safe than sorry 

4 hours ago, magda975 said:

they told me the tread depth is close to 3mm,

Which could mean there's 4mm or more. Get yourself a tyre tread depth gauge and measure it yourself, or get someone trusted to do it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to have a trusted tyre place where if the Toyota garage warned us about tyres we would go there, they would check and say that they were good for another 6 months at least with the low mileage we do. 

My cynicism, the main dealer is looking for some add-on sales, check them yourself or even try your local tyre dealer for advice

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all your advice! I appreciate the help.

I've just ordered a tyre tread depth gauge (yes, getting all techy here!), and I'll be doing a bit of diy tread investigation once it arrives 🙂 
I'll share some pictures and a report later today to keep everyone updated.

Benzowner, you might have a point about the sales push. On the phone, they were insisting on changing the tyres soon and wanted a go ahead to order them. However, when I went to pick up the car, the urgency seemed to have disappeared. The service guy toned down the sales pitch, and even though the report showed amber for all 4 tyres, it was all about how I could easily cruise for a few more months.

I'll definitely check the tyres, and if they are close to 3mm, I'll change them soon for safety. But sometimes, you really have to question whether you can trust anyone these days.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention your tyres will have a TWI (Tread Wear Indicator) on them. This is a bar, moulded into the tread of the tyre, set at (I believe) 1.6mm, across the width of the tread. You will have TWI moulded into the sidewall of the tyre, just below the tread , at several places around the circumference. It's easily felt with a finger between the tread and is a very useful tool to see if the tyre's wearing evenly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

and is a very useful tool to see if the tyre's wearing evenly.

And you need to measure anywhere except on those with your shiny new gauge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, magda975 said:

Thanks a lot for all your advice! I appreciate the help.

I've just ordered a tyre tread depth gauge (yes, getting all techy here!), and I'll be doing a bit of diy tread investigation once it arrives 🙂 
I'll share some pictures and a report later today to keep everyone updated.

Benzowner, you might have a point about the sales push. On the phone, they were insisting on changing the tyres soon and wanted a go ahead to order them. However, when I went to pick up the car, the urgency seemed to have disappeared. The service guy toned down the sales pitch, and even though the report showed amber for all 4 tyres, it was all about how I could easily cruise for a few more months.

I'll definitely check the tyres, and if they are close to 3mm, I'll change them soon for safety. But sometimes, you really have to question whether you can trust anyone these days.

Good advice given, and to help you with your measure here a picture. 
image.thumb.jpeg.42ed24f571ff8942a623195569a6b0eb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links