Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key will lock remotely but opening is intermittent

Jonf21

Hi all, I've had this frustrating issue for a while- my key fob will lock my Yaris (2011 T Sprit) every time but is in the habit of not opening the doors unless I press it about 50 times; it had a good run last week where it opened fine for several days in a row but today I've pressed it about 100 times and it still won't work; I can get into the driver's seat with manual insertion but the passengers can't get in, very frustrating. It happens with both the keys I have.

Any ideas what's going on here and  what I can try?

Cheers!

Fob batteries as a first check.

Thanks, I did change them a while back but will try again in case I got a bad batch.

• Like 1

I had the same issue when I had my old 2006 Mk2 - sometimes the car would not respond to the unlock signal from the remote key and I would have to insert the key and unlock the door manually. It was very intermittent but a nuisance nonetheless when it happened. 

All I could put it down to was that something was interfering with the signal between the key and the receiver and blocking it. It may be that another car is parked nearby that emits some kind of radio frequency that jams the operation of the key to the Yaris. Not sure, but I think you just have to live with it and use the key in the door manually when the remote wont work. Chances are that it will do when you drive to wherever you are going and try to unlock it again from that location.

I had tried changing the key Battery as well but it made no difference to the random problem occurring.

The switches are really poor quality in keys. That's why there are every sort listed on eBay.

Easy enough to change.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links