Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poll - 12V battery failure

dash

Have you had 12V battery fail (poll)?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. A lot of chat on here, but how many of you have actually had the 12V battery let you down (don’t respond if you use an external battery charger)?

• All good, never had an issue (even when car unused for more than a week)
    • Battery has let me down and I do less than 50 miles per week
    • Battery has let me down and I do more than 50 miles per week
    • Battery let me down only when the car was unused for a week (despite normally driven daily)

Thought it worthwhile to get some actual feedback to cut through all the chat so we can see the extent of the issue

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Add "I've changed to a Yasuda equivalent"???

Unfortunately Jeff that's not an answer for this poll, the intent of which is to establish how many people have suffered failures

• Like 3

Is the poll only for Yaris, if yes I did my vote and it’s a bit of cheating 😉👌

• Like 1

I guess the poll being posted in the "Yaris & Yaris Cross club" forum should provide a clue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good idea and I'll click one of those when I've had the car for a while and or it lets me down.

I won't mention the time I panicked when I flattened the Battery when not having it in READY mode 🥺😄

• Sad 1

Very interesting results so far. No problem with 12v batteries leads ahead. 😉👌

• Like 1

Agree, if any negative results come up, hopefully it will be short journeys or low mileage, we certainly don't want people hitting issues when the cars are being used "properly"....for want of a word !!, no disrespect aimed at low mileage use or people not using the car enough/short journeys, but I will be interested in future feedback on people returning from holidays at airports etc.

• Like 1

Expected the number to be low on failures. This is mostly to do with people using the car very little or inherited a on the way out Battery as the next owner. Granted some cases where the Turkish Battery let some people down even with ok usage. 

• Like 2

According to this survey, information from Toyota "We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week" is HOAX or only for few owners 😞

this information is also interesting:
"If you have a 12V Battery trickle charger, or a solar panel charger, and are confident using them, then these are a good option to keep the Battery fully charged while the vehicle is stationary for a period of time"
the question is what is "for a period of time"

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dala said:

the question is what is "for a period of time"

It depends on the current degradation state of the Mutlu Battery 😛

• Haha 2

We have a 71 plate Yaris design, we have suffered 2 failures, 1st though lack of use and 2 weeks holiday, 2nd time failed 2 days after it had been charged. Replaced with a Yuasa and coupled with the use of AA 4.8 solar charger , no problem since but have notice when in use the Battery returns to fully charged quickly 

• Like 1

I’m the one person so far who has voted “battery let me down and I do more than 50 miles a week”. I do 7-8000 miles a year and Battery failed after 18 months, the car is 2 years old this week.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Little Ern said:

I’m the one person so far who has voted “battery let me down and I do more than 50 miles a week”. I do 7-8000 miles a year and battery failed after 18 months, the car is 2 years old this week.

Did you replace the Battery ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Did you replace the battery ?

Toyota replaced it under warranty, I was told Toyota were starting to quibble about replacing the Battery on low mileage vehicles.

Just had the vehicle serviced, apparently Toyota are now replacing with a different Battery to the original, one running with higher amperage (does that sound right?).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dala said:

deactivate smart charging while driving and it will never be a problem.

What do you mean by ‘smart charging’? The car does its own thing to charge the 12V Battery while driving and, as far as I’m aware, there’s nothing that can be (or should be) deactivated

• Like 3

Not sure how to vote , I do 90 miles per week to work and back plus what I do on a weekend, mine let me down over Christmas as we’d been to visit relatives only about a two mile round trip, I think the hybrid batteries were low and didn’t put enough charge back thus, two days unused and the car wouldn’t start, AA, jump started and it’s been fine ever since, although, I’ve never left it more than a day not being used..

4 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Not sure how to vote , I do 90 miles per week to work and back plus what I do on a weekend..

@Dala Yes, I understand (and also don't like my Battery only holding 12.5V while driving (instead of 14V when stationary in Ready mode)), but it can't be deactivated ..... can it?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dala said:

The principle of smart charging of the car battery while driving. 
Also valid for vehicles without alternator. 

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxiliary-battery-charging-in-vehicles-with-smart-alternators.html

It's a problem..and we can sell you the solution.

Pardon me for being sceptical 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dala said:

The principle of smart charging of the car battery while driving. 
Also valid for vehicles without alternator. 

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxiliary-battery-charging-in-vehicles-with-smart-alternators.html

Just to be clear the second para of that article starts:

For those of us wanting to charge a second (auxiliary or leisure) Battery whilst driving ...

It's not a solution for 'us'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dash said:

@Dala Yes, I understand (and also don't like my battery only holding 12.5V while driving (instead of 14V when stationary in Ready mode)), but it can't be deactivated ..... can it?

A Battery at 12.5 volts is fully charged.

You need around 14 volts to charge a 12 volt Battery without using some sort of pulse mode to acive it from a lower voltage.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links