Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poll: Yaris/Yaris Cross hybrid - 12V battery failure

dash

Have you had 12V battery fail (poll)?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. A lot of chat on here, but how many of you have actually had the 12V battery let you down (don’t respond if you use an external battery charger)?

• All good, never had an issue (even when car unused for more than a week)
    • Battery has let me down and I do less than 50 miles per week
    • Battery has let me down and I do more than 50 miles per week
    • Battery let me down only when the car was unused for a week (despite normally driven daily)

I have not deactivated any smart charging system just added a extra solar smart charging system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slartybartfast said:

Question needs "Hybrid" inserting between the and 12V.

I've never had a 12V battery issue.😎

Oops… forgot the pre-hybrid Yaris owners 😉, and I can’t access to edit 

20 hours ago, dash said:

@Dala Yes, I understand (and also don't like my battery only holding 12.5V while driving (instead of 14V when stationary in Ready mode)), but it can't be deactivated ..... can it?

normal charging

image.thumb.png.965fc28f75264372a65bef133bf2e7d5.png

smart charging

image.png.c68b87b8f865c0a124fff60147fe2b66.png + image.thumb.png.2e3a7f30891ef060d47f3ccdba8d0f5b.png

easy deactivation of smart charging

image.thumb.png.41d528ceddf8f23903731abae1012b91.png OR image.thumb.png.e7a88aea52b67d7b796c457132deeda3.png = image.png.0cfdd2d9f2b121bd6decaad18409fba0.png

4 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

Why ?
Surely the non-hybrid version of the Yaris is a different ‘animal’ with a different type of 12v Battery. ?

34 minutes ago, Dala said:

Just long term monitoring of charging behavior and 12V voltage monitoring.

So you imply that switching from Auto to Low Beam enables full charging voltage?

14 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Surely the non-hybrid version of the Yaris is a different ‘animal’ with a different type of 12v battery. ?

Uses higher capacity Battery, 45Ah LN1 size. Made by Varta IIRC?

The thing is, the Battery issue is almost exclusive to hybrid versions and mainly fourth gen of Yaris.

15 minutes ago, hind said:

the battery issue is almost exclusive to hybrid versions and mainly fourth gen of Yaris.

That’s my understanding, hence my response.

But the question doesn't specify that. I could vote that I never had the issue with the Battery with my 2002 Yaris and this would distort the actual scale of the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hind said:

So you imply that switching from Auto to Low Beam enables full charging voltage?

Yes, if the headlights are switched off in "auto"

image.thumb.png.d19a26f4223c30c315bcc1caac3aee59.png

So if it's a bright daylight and the Auto headlights would normally be switched off, forcing them on using the switch additionally bumps the voltage to >14V? Sorry but this sounds like some kind of voodoo to me 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The theory is that normally the DC-DC converter cycles on and off, charging the Battery for a bit, then letting the 12v systems be powered by just the Battery for a bit, before charging it again, but when more load is applied it switches to continuously being on. Don't know how true it is though!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Why ?
Surely the non-hybrid version of the Yaris is a different ‘animal’ with a different type of 12v battery. ?

8 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

Title now changed to clarify

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hind said:

But the question doesn't specify that. I could vote that I never had the issue with the battery with my 2002 Yaris and this would distort the actual scale of the problem.

It does now 😉. Poll title now changed to clarify

Just for information, my Yaris cross has, probably what most of have is front and rear cameras. They are good, but they also run off the auxiliary not the ignition side. So if you like listening to the radio, your cameras are also operating.

3 minutes ago, Benzowner said:

Just for information, my Yaris cross has, probably what most of have is front and rear cameras. They are good, but they also run off the auxiliary not the ignition side. So if you like listening to the radio, your cameras are also operating.

Good to know, but nothing much we can do about that 🥺😂

4 hours ago, Benzowner said:

Just for information, my Yaris cross has, probably what most of have is front and rear cameras. 

I presume you are referring to the parking sensors (the only camera used for parking assistance is at the rear, above the number plate). In any case, you should never have the car in aux/acc mode, should always use READY to ensure the 12V Battery is maintained/charged.

5 minutes ago, dash said:

I presume you are referring to the parking sensors (the only camera used for parking assistance is at the rear, above the number plate). In any case, you should never have the car in aux/acc mode, should always use READY to ensure the 12V battery is maintained/charged.

Like me "dash" means the 360 cameras, 4 in total and all 4 must be active all the time.

If anyone walks past any of my cameras, it's displayed on the Infotainment system immediately, super excellent for parking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dash said:

I presume you are referring to the parking sensors (the only camera used for parking assistance is at the rear, above the number plate). In any case, you should never have the car in aux/acc mode, should always use READY to ensure the 12V battery is maintained/charged.

No, the dash cam that seem to be fitted to most Toyotas

Ah, you missed a key word in your post...DASHCAM. .If you are talking about dashcams, that's completely different and depends on how it has been connected to the car and done properly and what Dashcam has been fitted.  If Toyota have supplied and fitted it, they use the one in the photo below, which in my opinion is not up to a good standard for a Dashcam, not sure why they have chosen to install that one, when there are plenty of better choices in the Nextbase range.

I assume it's been hardwired, so it will probably do parking mode as well, so it's more or less powered all the time, but does have a built in safety feature to power off to stop your car Battery getting knackered and flat.

Screenshot_20240704-182814.png

On 7/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, Dala said:

normal charging

image.thumb.png.965fc28f75264372a65bef133bf2e7d5.png

smart charging

image.png.c68b87b8f865c0a124fff60147fe2b66.png + image.thumb.png.2e3a7f30891ef060d47f3ccdba8d0f5b.png

easy deactivation of smart charging

image.thumb.png.41d528ceddf8f23903731abae1012b91.png OR image.thumb.png.e7a88aea52b67d7b796c457132deeda3.png = image.png.0cfdd2d9f2b121bd6decaad18409fba0.png

The picture shows a charging voltage  of 14.4 volts last led off is for 14.6 volts.

You can force it to start charging by turning on headlights or other high current load like screen heaters or just operate the electronic handbrake.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links