Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poll: Yaris/Yaris Cross hybrid - 12V battery failure

dash

Have you had 12V battery fail (poll)?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. A lot of chat on here, but how many of you have actually had the 12V battery let you down (don’t respond if you use an external battery charger)?

• All good, never had an issue (even when car unused for more than a week)
    • Battery has let me down and I do less than 50 miles per week
    • Battery has let me down and I do more than 50 miles per week
    • Battery let me down only when the car was unused for a week (despite normally driven daily)

Hi, just joined the club and found some good info on air con servicing so thanks for that.I would like to contribute to this discussion on 12 volt auxiliary Battery failure. I have a 21 Yaris Hybrid and the wife uses it to go to work but it’s a 10 minute rural route. A few weeks ago she got in the car and did the the usual start procedure and it came up with a foot brake fault. I then got in the car and it was dead !! The car has done 12,000 miles and died. Called my UK dealership where I bought the car and they said bring it in I said I can’t it’s dead !! Well that’s what you need to do. Called out the RAC and the mechanic an ex Toyota man said 12v Battery has a dead cell and he got it going. Took it to Toyota confident the 10 year warranty covered it…..NO. £145 to replace it. After contacting the media about this 10 year warranty scam Toyota agreed to replace the Battery as I agreed to buy…..wait for it…..a solar panel trickle charge panel.They did the wiring and basically if I go on holiday plug in the panel place on the dash board park outside obviously and hopefully it will still hold its charge.I did ask for the old battery back so I knew I had a new battery but because of Covid apparently a lot of people did not use their Hybrid cars and the 12v batteries died.Hence the 10 year warranty did not apply.So for £45 I now carry a solar panel A4 size but also give the wife’s a car occasional boot to help charge the charge the aux battery. 

• Like 2

It really cannot be a condition having to buy a solar panel in order for the warranty Battery. Even though the travel time isn't long, it's still 20 mins a day x5, that should be fine. 

• Like 3

On 7/6/2024 at 7:59 AM, Ben Sadler said:

Took it to Toyota confident the 10 year warranty covered it…..NO.

Think you will find that the warranty covers the traction Battery for 15 years if the car has the annual inspection but the 12 volt Battery will only have its limited manufacturers warranty.

So IMHO you did very well to have it replaced FOC.

Even the Kia 7 year warranty only covers the 12 volt Battery for 2 years.

Edit.

Just found this comment on another post by Flash22 with regards to the 12 volt battery "It's a wear item after the first year"

As I said above, you did very well.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2024 at 6:13 PM, Dala said:

Yes, if the headlights are switched off in "auto"

image.thumb.png.d19a26f4223c30c315bcc1caac3aee59.png

And your Toyota magically becomes an Honda? 😁😇

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RickyC said:

And your Toyota magically becomes an Honda? 😁😇

For example 😝

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Yaris_Cross said:

It may be of no interest to you but i for one am interested as i plan to buy a hybrid,   instead of being damn right rude to the OP why not simply jog on instead of leaving such an unhelpful post?

manufacturer or distributer MUTLU? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dcweather said:

A very long and tedious thread for pretty much a non event!

Oh mate, you should see the other one :eek:  - I think it's at or near triple digits now :laugh: 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2024 at 7:59 AM, Ben Sadler said:

Took it to Toyota confident the 10 year warranty covered it…..NO. £145 to replace it. After contacting the media about this 10 year warranty scam Toyota agreed to replace the battery as I agreed to buy…

The Relax service generated warranty is an extended warranty, and the majority of extended warranties don't provide the same cover as the manufacturer's new car warranty.

As always, it is important for one to be aware of warranty terms and conditions - see the attached file.

Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21_tcm-3060-2286757.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link.

I am very surprise to see they cover most of the stuff in this list under electrical -

Starter Motor; Alternator; Coils; wiper Motors; Washer Pump Motors; Turn Signal Relay; Heater Fan Motor; Horn; Manually Operated Switches; Airbag Spiral cable; Electronic Ignition Unit; Relays; Heated Screen Elements; On-Board Computer (Trip Computer); Window Motors/Regulators; Power Window Switch; Mirror Motors; Remote Controls in Keys; Central Locking Solenoids; Airbag Sensors; Central Lock Control Unit; Internal Light Delay Unit; Gauges; Clocks; Speedometer & Speed Sensor; Tachometer; Wiring Looms (for short circuit); Electric Seat Motors; Cigarette Lighters; Sensors; Heated Seat Elements; Alarms (Toyota Genuine only); Headlamp Lift Motors; Spark Plug Leads; ECU’s

• Like 1

…… however, massive list of items not included

11 minutes ago, dash said:

…… however, massive list of items not included

Same with most extended warranties.

Difference is that Relax is included with servicing, rather than one having to pay separately for this level of cover.

Interestingly other manufacturers are starting to have their own similar schemes - eg. Suzuki, Peugeot.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.46be4542820a7d86f3384bdeeecc928a.jpeg

Car been unused for a few days (2024 Excel). My BM6 (bluetooth Battery monitor) shows the voltage levelling out after its initial decline from a fully charged Battery, which is gratifying, as it indicates minimal Battery usage when parked up.
Not sure about the voltage dips though (car communicating with Toyota, car carrying out status checks or dodgy data collection by the BM6?)

• Like 2

Maybe that is for summer, in winter when I check with a multi meter, the voltage drop were about 0.2v per day for 4 days. 

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Maybe that is for summer, in winter when I check with a multi meter, the voltage drop were about 0.2v per day for 4 days. 

Thanks. I’ll watch out for a difference in winter 

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Maybe that is for summer,

Why would there be a difference ?
What extra ‘parasitic’ load can there be between summer and winter ?

lower Battery capacity in winter, parasitic load will be same

• Like 3

But the self discharge ratio is lower in winter 🙂 

6 hours ago, Dala said:

parasitic load will be same

Exactly.

Between 13july and 16july, to all intents and purposes, zero voltage drop.  What will cause that to change on a seasonal basis ?

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 5:41 PM, Graham47 said:

Exactly.

Between 13july and 16july, to all intents and purposes, zero voltage drop.  What will cause that to change on a seasonal basis ?

Nothing I hope 🤞

• Like 1

I suspect this is just a survey of responders on the internet. If imagine>95% having no problem.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links