Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

GR Sport Ride vs Excel

ninanina

I have the option of a late GR Sport or Excel version 

Did anyone find the ride on the GR Sport to be too firm?  I’ve driven the GR but not the Excel as yet 

What really impressed me in the GR was the 2L engine as it seemed much stronger than I remember the 1.8 being and I think the handling of the GR was a touch better as well 

I think they are on same springs ect but excel is slightly heavy due to better soundproofing and acoustic glass. 

Not sure you would feel any difference as a driver but you may feel it... Also excel has leather which I prefer to half leather and cloth 

Apparently the GR sits on slightly different springs and is a little lower than the rest of the range so I wondered if that makes much difference to the ride 

Just now, taxidriver50005 said:

I think they are on same springs ect but excel is slightly heavy due to better soundproofing and acoustic glass. 

For these mk 1 C-HR the GR Sport suspension is slightly stiffer then an Excel. 

GR Sport also has tweaks to the steering system.

Soundproofing is exactly the same on both specs.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-c-hr-gr-sport/

• Like 1

Just now, ninanina said:

Apparently the GR sits on slightly different springs and is a little lower than the rest of the range so I wondered if that makes much difference to the ride 

The Excel will ride slightly softer - I originally test drove an Excel before ordering my GR Sport.

FWIW they both rode much better then my previous 308 T9 hatch that had standard suspension.

Did you find the GR Sport comfortable still?  And is the handling way better than an Excel

Did you also find the 2L that much faster than the 1.8 because it seemed like night and day to me 

7 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Did you find the GR Sport comfortable still?  And is the handling way better than an Excel

Did you also find the 2L that much faster than the 1.8 because it seemed like night and day to me 

I never tested the handling of the Excel, I basically drove it home to test if it fitted in the garage - which it did.

The 1.8 hybrid I found too noisy & lethargic, so I ordered a 2 litre hybrid.

The C-HR is surprisingly agile anyway due to the TNGA platform & excellent rear suspension used, it handles really well, nearly as good as a Peugeot 405. 

Thank you both for your replies much appreciated 

I owned a Peugeot 405 estate for years and loved it 

• Like 1

Just now, ninanina said:

I owned a Peugeot 405 estate for years and loved it 

I had two 405 saloons - basically it will go where you aim it go kart with occasional lift the inner rear wheel during cornering playfulness 🤣

I had an excel for 4 years now have a GR don't really notice much diference, maybe the GR is a touch firmer and handles a touch better. Very happy with both though.

• Like 1

I had a drive in a GR and an Excel , preferred the slightly softer ride of the Excel

Ordered Excel 1.8 with some extras came in under the 40k threshold 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links