Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking/clunking from front of Car

Beazle

Hi all, I bought my 2015 Auris Touring Sports with 42,000 miles from a Honda dealer (Marshall) just over a month back. Within a few days I noticed a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel area when parking up - it doesn't do it when driving at speed. Also, there's a knocking sound when I go over bumps or uneven road surfaces. This doesn't always happen when I go over a bump and it sounds like it's from the front of the car, behind the dash. 

I've read about similar issues on here but have a dilemma with taking it back to the dealer. Having never had to take a car back under warranty, I'm unsure whether it is worth doing. The knocking isn't all the time and the steering feels solid. There's a potential £195 diagnostic charge from Marshall Nottingham (Volvo dealer) which will not be charged if they find the fault and it's something that they are liable for under the terms of the warranty - a year Marshall warranty. 

I have my doubts they find the fault, and if they do, that they will pay for it to be fixed. I don't want to end up £195 out of pocket when I could potentially put this towards any future repairs. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Irrespective of any warranty, you are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

See sections:

1) How long do you have to return a faulty product? 

and 2) Your right to a repair or replacement

• Like 2

The dealer that you had bought the car should not charge you for any issues you have. You can argue and ask for free of charge test, checks and any parts of found faulty be replaced under warranty. 
Speak to service manager and stand your rights. 
These clicking noises are typical for many Toyota models and they do come from steering wheel column, in most cases it’s just dried out lube on the slider splints , the telescopic part . Not an safety issue or mot failure and these does not go any more wrong with the time. 
For the suspension noises , there are easy fix and not so easy fix things, but these needs to be checked to confirm what it is indeed and then can be addressed. 

• Like 1

Thank you. I've booked it in for Friday but was thinking of cancelling due to the mention of a possible £195 charge. Looking at the consumer rights act, I shouldn't have to pay anything for a repair.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beazle said:

This knocking can be anything from the suspension and unless physically check will be impossible to tell. 
The typical suspension issue these cars might have are shock absorbers, McPherson mount and bearings, stabiliser bar bushes or links. 
This is not a big deal again unless if it’s really really pronounced at any speed or road conditions. 
My Auris does very similar noises only when drives at slow speeds over uneven roads with a lots of cracks, suspected  parts in my case are McPherson mounts but these noises are very rare and presented since many years and miles ago , they haven’t worsened or mot test noted so I am not bothered to look at it any further.
My car does get serviced and checked every 3-4 months as I drive a bit more and only work done is only if really necessary. 
The dealer who sold to you the car should check for you and replace any faulty parts if necessarily free of charge. If they don’t find anything wrong still needs to be free for you as you just had bought the car from them and there are obvious knocking noises and clicking sounds from steering column. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I'll take it in and see what they say. The car had an MOT just before I bought it so I'm not expecting them to discover a great deal. I've got a lot of european driving to do over the summer so it's more for piece of mind. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links