Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question about Yaris MK3 automatic

dragon856

Greetings,

I'm driving a Yaris mk3 (2012) with automatic transmission. Great car! But I must admit it takes a while to get used to the CTV auto.

What's the best way to drive this.. just accelerating rather slowly without taking your foot of the gas pedal?

Upon releasing the brake pedal, the car will start lunging ahead in a really slow pace. Is this normal? My old Vauxhall Astra G automatic was moving a little faster ☺️

Thanks! 👍

19 minutes ago, dragon856 said:

What's the best way to drive this.. just accelerating rather slowly without taking your foot of the gas pedal?

Unless you are looking for maximum economy just push the gas pedal to get the acceleration or power you want. Hold that until you get to the speed you want (or the top of the hill). 

CVTs can be a bit noisy under higher power as they will rev up more than most people will rev a manual. 

19 minutes ago, dragon856 said:

Upon releasing the brake pedal, the car will start lunging ahead in a really slow pace. Is this normal?

Different autos have different amounts of creep built in. As long as it does creep on level ground it's probably normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Unless you are looking for maximum economy just push the gas pedal to get the acceleration or power you want. Hold that until you get to the speed you want (or the top of the hill). 

CVTs can be a bit noisy under higher power as they will rev up more than most people will rev a manual. 

Different autos have different amounts of creep built in. As long as it does creep on level ground it's probably normal.

Alright, thanks a lot! No rocket science to drive a CTV if I understand you correctly.

1 hour ago, dragon856 said:

Alright, thanks a lot! No rocket science to drive a CTV if I understand you correctly.

No, ordinary people can drive them 🙂 

Some people complain of a lack of 'go', but that's often just a perceptual thing. With manual and other automatics there is a rising engine note with intermediate gear shifts. With CVT the engine note is fairly constant as the car speed increases which, if you are used to other types, can seem like a lack of acceleration. (CVT is a bit like flying an aircraft - you set the power level, the engine revs to that level, and you wait until you need something different.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MikeSh said:

No, ordinary people can drive them 🙂 

Some people complain of a lack of 'go', but that's often just a perceptual thing. With manual and other automatics there is a rising engine note with intermediate gear shifts. With CVT the engine note is fairly constant as the car speed increases which, if you are used to other types, can seem like a lack of acceleration. (CVT is a bit like flying an aircraft - you set the power level, the engine revs to that level, and you wait until you need something different.)

Thanks! Just got this car and couldn't find when the CVT was serviced for the last time, so I decided to have the transmission oil changed, just to be sure.

On the Yaris mk3 (2012), I believe this must be done every 60.000 km's/38.000 miles, or every 4 year (whatever comes first). Is there anything else important to know about CVT in terms of maintenance? 😊

2 minutes ago, dragon856 said:

Is there anything else important to know about CVT in terms of maintenance?

Probably not. As with most gearboxes of any type oil is the most important thing for servicing.

Someone like @flash22 will know for sure.

Cvt transmissions often has a specific procedure for draining and refill oil. 
If not familiar do not attempt to change the oil and do not let any mechanic learn on your car. Watch videos, seek information and service procedures documents to learn how to do it correctly, use only original Toyota ws fluid and you will be ok. Some people has messed up their cars when trying to do something as diy without the necessary knowledge. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links