Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2nd-gen MMT Oil change

WazWii

Hi,

Does anyone know the manufacturer recommended time interval for changing the transmission oil in the Aygo 2nd-gen MMT model?

If someone can pull up the official service schedule I would greatly appreciate it. I could save a copy for future use. Also I could maybe get the rear differential oil changed. 

Thanks.

There is no specified gearbox oil change the only scheduled item is a level check every 40k and no rear differential 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

There is no specified gearbox oil change the only scheduled item is a level check every 40k and no rear differential 

Hi,

Thanks for that. So lifetime oil for the gearbox? I don't mind changing it though and paying through the approved Toyota dealership. I presume 50,000 miles/6 years is appropriate?

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

KGB40 MMT

1.7L "TOYOTA Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil LV" or "API GL-4 and SAE 75W"

OK thanks. What time interval do you recommend for a change of the MMT oil and is there a workshop manual showing how to change the MMT oil?

I am not going to do it myself but perhaps it is best I have a quick read to understand the complexity involved.

It is a manual gearbox, crack the fill undo the drain, put the drain plug back in, fill till it runs out the hole, it's just an inspect item, change at 60-90k tbh its a often over looked item

• Like 1

Thanks. I have about 41,000 miles on the clock BUT the car is just over 7 years old. Do the years matter much? I guess the MMT oil has been stood for a while.

5 minutes ago, WazWii said:

Thanks. I have about 41,000 miles on the clock BUT the car is just over 7 years old. Do the years matter much? I guess the MMT oil has been stood for a while.

I think you have answered your own question…

standing for a long time will lead t degradation of the oil but possibly not as much as milage. 

7 years will matter. Why not treat the car to an oil/filter change for peace of mind

• Like 1

:stupid: it's a piece of mind thing, if it hasn't been driven for some time the gearbox can build up moisture

• Like 1

7 years are nothing and at low miles you don’t even need to think about it. 
You can always get the transmission fluid changed although your particular car it’s not from those that transmission fluid changes are critical to operate as they should and if you skip an oil change a catastrophic failure will follow, actually you can drive like this for life with no gear oil changes at all. 
We have a manual car in the family made in 2001 and never had any transmission fluid change and the car has the smoothest gear change and no whining or any other noises. Mileage is around 140000

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul john said:

I think you have answered your own question…

standing for a long time will lead t degradation of the oil but possibly not as much as milage. 

7 years will matter. Why not treat the car to an oil/filter change for peace of mind

Sorry for the confusion. The car has not been stood a while; it gets regular use.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

:stupid: it's a piece of mind thing, if it hasn't been driven for some time the gearbox can build up moisture

Same as above, the car has been driven regularly over the years. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

7 years are nothing and at low miles you don’t even need to think about it. 
You can always get the transmission fluid changed although your particular car it’s not from those that transmission fluid changes are critical to operate as they should and if you skip an oil change a catastrophic failure will follow, actually you can drive like this for life with no gear oil changes at all. 
We have a manual car in the family made in 2001 and never had any transmission fluid change and the car has the smoothest gear change and no whining or any other noises. Mileage is around 140000

Yeah I can see varied opinions here. I have been told many times over the past months changing automatic transmission oil is not needed at these yearly intervals and mileage. Actually what got me interested in changing the Aygo MMT oil was the fact that I have purchased another car (Mazda MX5 RF) that is an auto. That only had 9,700 miles on it (11,200 now) but was approaching 7 years old. That transmission is an Aisin unit that is a Toyota/Lexus unit I believe. I was told to change that transmission oil by some and then not by others!

The procedure to these change transmission oils (particulalary the Mazda I believe) has to be followed to the letter hence there is a risk there even though I always get my work done by the official approved dealers. Still if the oil changes are not needed why take that human level risk? The work has to be done right.

The MMT has a clutch it is a manual gearbox with actuators on it, auto boxes conventional and cvt just needs the fluid checked if its black, brown or has flecks in it, it's time to change the fluid and filter, yes some gearboxes need a procedure followed to the letter - CVT's got a bad name thanks to the Nissan/Jatco boxes that have a habit of grenading

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links