Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice for servicing - Yaris MK3 - 2012 petrol

Bemused55

Hi All

Some advice please (I have looked through the forum and not found what I needed). I have a 2012 Mk3 Yaris 1.33 petrol with 64,000 on the clock I bought in October 23. It will be due a full service in mid-July. It's service record is complete with all servicing done at a Toyota main dealer since day one. However I can get a full service at F1Autocentre for £180 compared to the main dealer of £315.

I don't have the skills to service myself. And also wonder if with regard to the cars age and the fact I'll save £135 (and the F1 is just up the road compared to a 2 hour round trip to the main dealer). Is it time/ok to go elsewhere now. I'm in Ramsgate, Kent. And shall we say have found servicing by independants to be somewhat hit and miss around here.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

At this age there are no warranty left, servicing at Toyota isn't going to add a great value to the price. Would personally service at indy. 

• Like 3

Thank you Mojo1010. You have encapsulated exactly what was in my mind.

Make sure they use the correct oil! I believe 0W-20 is specified for yours, although it probably wouldn't do any harm if 5W-30 was used.

• Like 2

If there's anyone you know to recommend a local independent, ask them. Are there any reviews available for the F1Autocentre?

As others have written, it's not worth paying over the odds at a franchised dealer. If I've worked it out correctly, it's due a "full service" (oops, you wote that) plus whatever else might be due relating to age/mileage.

Make sure they are aware of what's due. It should be in the service booklet.

• Like 1

Thanks Slartybartfast. The reviews on the whole seem positive. (I've used them a couple of months ago and for a Dunlop Sport tyre and they were the cheapest and quick). Will check the service book. Though what I have seen on their site seems comprehensive for the full service.

4 hours ago, Bemused55 said:

Hi All

Some advice please (I have looked through the forum and not found what I needed). I have a 2012 Mk3 Yaris 1.33 petrol with 64,000 on the clock I bought in October 23. It will be due a full service in mid-July. It's service record is complete with all servicing done at a Toyota main dealer since day one. However I can get a full service at F1Autocentre for £180 compared to the main dealer of £315.

I don't have the skills to service myself. And also wonder if with regard to the cars age and the fact I'll save £135 (and the F1 is just up the road compared to a 2 hour round trip to the main dealer). Is it time/ok to go elsewhere now. I'm in Ramsgate, Kent. And shall we say have found servicing by independants to be somewhat hit and miss around here.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Hi, 

if you go to independent garage try to avoid quick fit places and those national chains , perhaps from all of them pro tyres are one of the good one. 
Local independent mechanic or small family run business can be better bet as those usually take extra care and return customers are important to keep business alive. 
For your car age and mileage full service will require 

1. Engine oil and filter change 

2. Air filter change 

3. Cabin filter change 

4. Spark plugs change 

Checks and eventually change

5. Coolant if hasn’t been done at year 10 

6. Brake fluid - if hasn’t been changed at last 2-4 years 

7. Tyres check and rotating 

8. Brakes check and clean service 

9. Suspension check 

10. Air con regas if hasn’t been done in last 4 years or so

11. wiper blades 

Points 1-5 should do and 5-11 probably most likely to check only but that will depend on condition of the car and last service. 
Good luck 

• Like 3

Thanks TonyHSD. A useful list. I think I need to do more in-depth research on the local garages. It's just that I have had poor experiences in the past. (one garage I used for years was charging for sparkplugs that were never changed. And every MOT or service for three years had a faulty bulb. Even though I checked before)🤔

• Like 1

Great advice from Tony, and if you can supervise the service as it's being done then you'll be a happy camper 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links