Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seatbelt sensor behaviour

Draxexo

Hello all, I picked up my 2016 auris touring last week however I’m getting some unusual behaviour with the seat detection.

Firstly, the passenger side rear seat never indicates as occupied/unbelted.

Secondly, when someone is sat in the driver side rear it activates the middle seat as well, and can’t be deactivated when the occupant has left.

Thirdly, the occupancy resets almost every time I start the car, meaning when someone sits in the rear driver side and then leaves, I need to restart the car in order for it to clear, however this only happens some of the time.

Ive attached some pictures, one showing the occupancy when someone has sat in it but since left, and another when restarting the car.

Any pointers would be massively appreciated

IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9056.jpeg

Hi, 

does the car beep and annoy you or it’s just the lights on the dashboard? 
What you have described can be a normal behaviour but also can be something wrong with your sensors build into the seats. 
Since you just have bought it Is there any possibility that the seller has washed the seats and messed up your sensors? 
This is something that you need to look at as possible reason for your issues. 

On mine it takes a couple of min of driving for the occupancy light to go out on startup. Even if no one is in the seat.  
normal behavior

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

does the car beep and annoy you or it’s just the lights on the dashboard? 
What you have described can be a normal behaviour but also can be something wrong with your sensors build into the seats. 
Since you just have bought it Is there any possibility that the seller has washed the seats and messed up your sensors? 
This is something that you need to look at as possible reason for your issues. 

Yes, it starts beeping after I start driving. Surely though the lights should go out after someone gets out of those seats?

18 hours ago, Paul john said:

On mine it takes a couple of min of driving for the occupancy light to go out on startup. Even if no one is in the seat.  
normal behavior

They are out the whole time, until someone sits in them and then they don’t go out until the car is restarted

16 hours ago, solero said:

The auris does not have any wiring plugs for seated present sensord on the rear seats.

Are you sure? because it senses when I sit in them.

As well, the passenger rear never senses anyone in it, does anyone know where the sensors are located?

Seat presence sensors are only fitted in the front seats.You cant get to them without ripping up the seats.

You may be able to bypass the sensor. However the seat belt sensors are more likely to be at fault due to frequent use, and it being a sprung switch.

I would try bypassing the seatbelt switches first to try and identify the culprit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, solero said:

Seat presence sensors are only fitted in the front seats.You cant get to them without ripping up the seats.

You may be able to bypass the sensor. However the seat belt sensors are more likely to be at fault due to frequent use, and it being a sprung switch.

I would try bypassing the seatbelt switches first to try and identify the culprit.

I see, so when I sit in the rear seat is that not a seat presence sensor? Or what sensor is responsible for when I sit in the rear?

To add to this, I was doing quite a lengthy drive yesterday and saw the rear passenger side presence light up momentarily. I’m thinking it’s the connection or something to do with the wires in the seats at the back. Where can I find the connectors for the seats at the back?.

Correct, rear has no seat presence sensors. I swapped my rear seats and there were no wiring plugs.

Maybe it thought it detected a rear seat belt unplugging whilst driving. You can lift the rear lower bench seat to see the seat belt wiring.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links