Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine leak in 2006 1.6 VVT-i Corolla

sjm123

Discovered slow leak from underside of engine of my Corolla 1.6 VVT-i petrol.   Anyone know which part it is coming from ?

Will have to wait for a couple of weeks before local garage can take a look but would be good to know if this is terminal and not worth repairing!

20240702_085905.jpg

20240702_085628.jpg

20240702_085759.jpg

20240702_085838.jpg

Hi, 

this can be from rear main seal of the crankshaft or transmission too. It can be also from a gasket. Whatever is it will be expensive repair unless is from top valve cover gasket. 
You need to try to find the leak where does it come from. Sometimes oil leaks can be fixed or slowed down with additives. Here is the best one to try 

Wynn's Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer Treatment Additive For All Engine Types 325ml https://amzn.eu/d/07zeUEiq

If me I will buy this additive and a can of brake cleaner spray 

Holts Parts & Brake Cleaner Spray, Brake and Clutch Cleaner, Fast Acting & Powerful Brake Cleaner, Cleans & Degreases Any Surface, Paintwork Safe Car Brake Cleaner, 360° Spray Bottle 600ml https://amzn.eu/d/0fkf10CV

Clean thoroughly any oil marks , add a bottle of oil stop leak and monitor what happens. You need to give 200-400 miles travel before anything eventually gets better.  Meanwhile just keep check your oil level and if needs top up to the max . 
Good luck 

Thank you @TonyHSD for your reply.

Silly question ... the oil stop treatment you recommended, I assume you add it here as shown in photo ?  Checked the oil level and it is ok.  Just asking because I thought engine oil and gearbox/transmission/crankshaft (source of the leak) oil are different ?  My car is manual by the way.

And the spray is to wipe off the oil on the underside areas where the oil has covered ?

Just took it to local garage and like you said it could be a seal issue but would need a closer inspection.

20240702_143414.jpg

• Like 1

The 1.4 / 1.6 Corolla has an O ring on the timing chain tensioner, they are famous for leaking, sits at the back of the engine, timing side

image.thumb.png.1b74e8f749427ba07f57c11040fd8d14.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjm123 said:

Thank you @TonyHSD for your reply.

Silly question ... the oil stop treatment you recommended, I assume you add it here as shown in photo ?  Checked the oil level and it is ok.  Just asking because I thought engine oil and gearbox/transmission/crankshaft (source of the leak) oil are different ?  My car is manual by the way.

And the spray is to wipe off the oil on the underside areas where the oil has covered ?

Just took it to local garage and like you said it could be a seal issue but would need a closer inspection.

20240702_143414.jpg

Hi, 

yes oil additive will go exactly there where usual oil fill up. 
You need to start the engines and let it idle for 5-10 min, turn it off and add oil additive. Start again and let it idle for another 10 min then you are ok to drive as usual. 
But before all that use this brake cleaner spray and clean all oil leaks around the engine so it’s nice and clean. And you will chase after any new oil leaks to pinpoint the oil leak. 

Well think you are jumping the gun by adding a Leak Stopper at this stage.

Suggest you do a couple of things before that.

Clean the oiled up areas as suggested by @TonyHSD which might help show  where the leak is coming from.

Not yet mentioned, have you been checking the engine oil level and has it been dropping  / is the leaving any amount of oil on the driveway ?

Is the engine Oil filler cap screwed on properly or looks like its been leaking ?

The leak could be from the Gearbox which has its own oil supply.

To us it looks like is been slowly leaking for some time and if you oil levels are ok doubt it will get dramaticaly worse in a couple of week, assuming you are not going on some very long journeys ?

Also if you do add a leak stopper now it might make it harder for the garage to find the actual source if it appears to have temporarily cured the problem ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links