Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to tell apart the 2024 from the 2023 model?

elcar

For me it is really important to get the 2024 model because I am really worried about the charging speed in cold weather and other shortcomings which have been fixed in the newer version.

I had ordered a bz4x last autumn from my dealer with the precondition that it would be a 2024 model.

I got an email saying that the car is ready for delivery now but upon checking the VIN number I see that it had been fabricated in November of 2023 and it is designated as a 2023 model...

Has my dealer scammed me? How can I make sure the bz4x I will get will be the updated version?

I found this:

Meanwhile, Toyota engineers optimized the Battery thermal system for DC fast charging during the colder months. The changes include a water-to-water heat exchanger and a heating adjustment valve to pre-condition the Battery for DC charging.

here:

https://www.automoblog.com/2024-toyota-bz4x/

Now the question is: how can I check that my car has this water-to-water heat exchanger and a heating adjustment valve?

There is no confirmed 2024 model for the UK. The USA BZ4X specifications have always been slightly different. 

The only place to look for any announcements and confirmation of any changes for the UK specification is the Toyota website or often before it even appears on the website is mag.toyota.co.uk.

Unfortunately it's hard to maybe argue the specifications with the dealer when Toyota themselves have not confirmed any changes to the specification. The latest brochure on the website was still July 23.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JonathanP said:

There is no confirmed 2024 model for the UK. The USA BZ4X specifications have always been slightly different. 

The only place to look for any announcements and confirmation of any changes for the UK specification is the Toyota website or often before it even appears on the website is mag.toyota.co.uk.

Unfortunately it's hard to maybe argue the specifications with the dealer when Toyota themselves have not confirmed any changes to the specification. The latest brochure on the website was still July 23.

or even the media site: https://media.toyota.co.uk/vehicles/bz4x-2022/

The latest model remains the original 2022. That latest tech specs are dated August 2023.

It has long been a problem that folk set their expectations by reading US media or watching YouTube videos.

• Like 1

Totally agree, even the EU specification seems to be different (though generally a bit closer to the UK specification).
The dealership can only sell what is the current build and certainly if the car has minimal leadtime it's going to be stock already in the UK not still being built in Japan.

1 hour ago, JonathanP said:

There is no confirmed 2024 model for the UK.

The OP isn't in the UK.

The Automoblog link relates to the US range.

I live in Sweden. It's the fourth car I order from my dealer and all the previous times I 've done this I could follow the manufacturing process from the MyT app. If you order a new car now, it's impossible to get a 2023 model. The Japanese factories output only 2024 models now (with water-to-water exchanger, updated trim features etc). 

Contact Toyota Sweden and ask them to confirm what spec they are currently importing, and what spec your car is/will be.

• Like 1

That drills me too, I ordered one a few weeks ago, and according to MyT, it's been manufactured in Japan and put on the boat last week. I thought this will be 2024 model with improved thermal management. Now, when reading all this here and on Reddit, I'm getting a bit (a big bit) concern.

13 minutes ago, adidev said:

That drills me too, I ordered one a few weeks ago, and according to MyT, it's been manufactured in Japan and put on the boat last week. I thought this will be 2024 model with improved thermal management. Now, when reading all this here and on Reddit, I'm getting a bit (a big bit) concern.

If it’s manufactured right now, then have no worries. The problem is my dealership ordered it earlier than we agreed.

If one is in Europe, it is best to rely on information from Toyota Europe or their importers, rather than on Toyota USA or external sources.

Information from Toyota Europe only says that "the updated Toyota bZ4X range will be introduced in European markets during 2024."

Ie. no actual date provided.

So to confirm whether or not your order is/will be to the new spec, contact your Toyota  importer.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/toyota-enhances-the-all-electric-bz4x-for-faster-charging-comfort-and-convenience/

• Like 1

Thanks! I will do it. But I am certain the 2024 model is already out in Europe and Sweden specifically because until Christmas or something, the charging time calculator on the Swedish webpage showed 1:40 hours for charging from 10% to 80% in -10 degrees...

While now it shows that it takes only 50 minutes. So apparently they already sell the model with the heat exchanger.

You could be correct. The updated specs were published on the Swedish Media site on 12th January. They do state that the "updated bZ4X can be ordered already now". It sounds as though you need to speak again with your dealer (and if necessary, cancel your order and re-order "already now" 😉 )

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP isn't in the UK.

The Automoblog link relates to the US range.

Baring in mind also US models are elevated by 1. So a 2024 model is actually 2023 in uk numbers

I believe MY24 vehicles have the indication BEV in the lateral batch, while MY22 and 23 are ELECTRIC batch. But as already said here, better to confirm with the dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links