Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Torque Convertor Query

Gambit_216

Hi All,

Apologies I assume this has been asked before but I can't see anything unfortunately 

New to Rav 4 ownership, just purchased at 2013 2.2D with 80k and full Toyota service history up to 9 months ago as the wife insisted that she needed an SUV. Fairly handy with the spanners and access to ramps and a pit so no job too big

I've seen a lot on the internet about faulty torque convertors and the dreaded torque shudder, only driven this a few times as its brand new to us but it appears that this seems ok currently. Everything I have seen, seems to be Canada & USA nothing from the UK, I assume its the same gearbox in this car so its one to watch for the future? Anything preventative that can be done to stop any future issues other than just changing the fluid? 

I had a 2013 D-Cat Auto for seven years without any hint of even a potential issue with the box. Nor have I seen many reported problems on this forum so it's hardly likely to be a major area of concern - i.e. if it were a significant weakness, I think we'd have seen a lot more evidence of problems by now.

I'm pretty sure that the gearboxes for European RAV4s are made in Japan, while those for the North American market are made in North America which might explain what you are seeing ...

• Haha 1

I'd be surprised - Out of all the various types of autobox, the torque converter is by far the most robust and reliable; It doesn't have anything to wear out and doesn't use contact friction. That's why it was the only box rated for towing for a long time, and still generally preferred.

Its only weakness is it's very inefficient due to fluid pumping losses, which is the only big reason it fell out of favour when everything become more focused on emissions and fuel economy.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links