Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which auris

pmcf

Hi all the time has come for me to change my car and I've been thinking about getting an auris my budget will get me a 2017 or maybe a 2018,my problem is I'm not sure if I should get a hybrid or the 1.2 petrol. I live in a rural area so not a lot of stop start traffic etc so unsure if I'd get any benefit form the hybrid also the hybrids I've seen cost more. I thought I'd ask you guys for thoughts 

15 minutes ago, pmcf said:

Hi all the time has come for me to change my car and I've been thinking about getting an auris my budget will get me a 2017 or maybe a 2018,my problem is I'm not sure if I should get a hybrid or the 1.2 petrol. I live in a rural area so not a lot of stop start traffic etc so unsure if I'd get any benefit form the hybrid also the hybrids I've seen cost more. I thought I'd ask you guys for thoughts 

Hybrids produce really good mpg in stop/start traffic and also good in rural driving. Just saying.  

Personally I'd go for whichever seems the best condition, etc and is within your budget.

• Like 1

Don't torget to get an insurance quote for both. Some insurers are refusing to insure the auris hybrid.

Road tax for the 1.2t is £20ish for pre april 2017 cars vs vs £180ish post date vs zero for hybrid.

22 minutes ago, solero said:

Don't torget to get an insurance quote for both. Some insurers are refusing to insure the auris hybrid.

Road tax for the 1.2t is £20ish for pre april 2017 cars vs vs £180ish post date vs zero for hybrid.

I Dont think in donegal you will have the same issues with insurance as we do in london

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, solero said:

As the OP is in Ireland (Donegal), UK road tax doesn't apply.

The hybrids don't just get good mpg in stop-start traffic, just better than normal cars - The people with the best mpg tend to be those that spend more time on A-roads, 40-50mph seems to be the optimum - and that applies to the hybrids too. The hybrid will generally get better mpg than the 1.2T.

The 1.2T and 1.8 hybrid both drive really nice though.

If you want to simplify the choice, if you want a manual, get the 1.2T; If you want an automatic get the 1.8 hybrid.

• Like 4

The 1.2T auto/cvt is a much rarer model. Admitted, CVT is less reliable than  the eCVT gearbox in hybrids, due to the life of the steel belt, rather than planetary gears. However, CVT is still a good option if you have a hybrid dislike, as an auto alternative. You will get less less mpg (30mpg around town, 50-55mpg motorway cruising.

I have driven both andin my opinion the CVT wins hands down on low end grunt and acceleration, and has no aging Battery life concerns. The 1.2t does have the added complication of direct injection and a turbo.

Horses for courses.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pmcf said:

Have you considered the 1.6 manual/1.8 auto petrol in that year , its  one off Toyota best of that era ,old technology now compared to hybrid but bullet proof 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

Have you considered the 1.6 manual/1.8 auto petrol in that year , its  one off Toyota best of that era ,old technology now compared to hybrid but bullet proof 

I've a 1.6 auris. As you say great cars with limited technology and good reliability. Stopped being made 2-3 years before ones the OP is looking at though.  2015 was last year I believe. At 10 years old mine is starting to need bits doing - but still cheap motoring and they can be picked up cheaply too.  I wouldn't have the 1.2 on the basis of the loan car I had - but not owned one. Would have the hybrid having driven a few and seen 100s of auris hybrid taxis!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've mentioned a few times on this forum how owning a 1.2t Toyota Auris petrol auto has been a positive experience for us. The 1.2 liter turbocharged engine really surprised us with its fuel efficiency. It suits our daily driving needs and doesn’t leave a big gap in the wallet. For a smaller engine, the turbo adds a nice boost. We are both impressed by how responsive it feels, especially around town and in cities like Norwich, where quick acceleration can be essential at times.

Given that it’s a Toyota, I had high expectations for reliability, and it hasn’t disappointed. It runs smoothly, and I haven’t had to worry about any major repairs so far, which has been a big relief. The Auris also offers a pretty comfortable ride. It handles well across different driving conditions, whether I’m on the motorway (which isn't often these days) or on rural roads.Safety was a important for us, and the Auris comes with multiple airbags and stability control. Plus its compact size makes parking and maneuvering easy. The smaller turbocharged engine is not only good for fuel savings but it's not bad for the environment either.

Having owned a Lexus before, I knew Toyotas generally hold their value well, and the Auris seems to be no different. It’s nice to know that it’s been a good buy if I ever decide to sell it.I appreciate that the car isn’t overloaded with tech, but in my opinion, it has just the right amount. Toyota’s reputation for customer service and a 10 year warranty has also been a positive. The 1.2t Toyota Auris petrol is often slated in car reviews as bland and uninspiring, and of course, it's not a hybrid, and therefore lacks the tech and MPG that hybrids offer. However, I fail to understand the negative reviews. If you are considering buying one, give it a test drive you may be surprised just how good it really is. Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 2

When we get down to the price and long term ownership and reliability the 1.6 manual beats them all and here is why. 
No turbo, no direct injection, no cvt transmission belt, no dual mass flywheel, no hybrid Battery.
 If the car gonna be used from time to time only or in rural areas where there are no traffic jams and emissions things then this is the best car configuration. If anything dies as the car doesn’t get much use or with the time will be a cheap 12v Battery, easily replaced at less than £100.
Other than that will be yearly services and the usual tyres, wipers , brakes, just consumables. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bper said:

I've mentioned a few times on this forum how owning a 1.2t Toyota Auris petrol auto has been a positive experience for us. The 1.2 liter turbocharged engine really surprised us with its fuel efficiency. It suits our daily driving needs and doesn’t leave a big gap in the wallet. For a smaller engine, the turbo adds a nice boost. We are both impressed by how responsive it feels, especially around town and in cities like Norwich, where quick acceleration can be essential at times.

Given that it’s a Toyota, I had high expectations for reliability, and it hasn’t disappointed. It runs smoothly, and I haven’t had to worry about any major repairs so far, which has been a big relief. The Auris also offers a pretty comfortable ride. It handles well across different driving conditions, whether I’m on the motorway (which isn't often these days) or on rural roads.Safety was a important for us, and the Auris comes with multiple airbags and stability control. Plus its compact size makes parking and maneuvering easy. The smaller turbocharged engine is not only good for fuel savings but it's not bad for the environment either.

Having owned a Lexus before, I knew Toyotas generally hold their value well, and the Auris seems to be no different. It’s nice to know that it’s been a good buy if I ever decide to sell it.I appreciate that the car isn’t overloaded with tech, but in my opinion, it has just the right amount. Toyota’s reputation for customer service and a 10 year warranty has also been a positive. The 1.2t Toyota Auris petrol is often slated in car reviews as bland and uninspiring, and of course, it's not a hybrid, and therefore lacks the tech and MPG that hybrids offer. However, I fail to understand the negative reviews. If you are considering buying one, give it a test drive you may be surprised just how good it really is. Hope this helps.:smile:

Good to have an owner's perspective. When I had one it didn't drive like the 1.6 I was used to - don't like change! The engine was also new and relatively untested so I went for another 'boring' but tried and tested car instead, the avensis 1.8 petrol.

That said my concern over engine was unfounded as the 1.2 sounds like it's been at least as reliable as any other auris.

• Like 3

Toyota didn't do what everyone else did and chase stupid HP figures, so the turbo and engine are a lot less stressed than with say the Ford EcoBoom engines :laugh: 

That'll definitely help the longevity.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, TonyHSD said:

When we get down to the price and long term ownership and reliability the 1.6 manual beats them all and here is why. 
No turbo, no direct injection, no cvt transmission belt, no dual mass flywheel, no hybrid battery.
 If the car gonna be used from time to time only or in rural areas where there are no traffic jams and emissions things then this is the best car configuration. If anything dies as the car doesn’t get much use or with the time will be a cheap 12v battery, easily replaced at less than £100.
Other than that will be yearly services and the usual tyres, wipers , brakes, just consumables. 

2ZR-FE Is for me a very good motor , very basic compared to modern hybrids but it always features on best top ten engines Toyota have made , we’ve 2 in our family mine on 50k , wife’s on 210k and I’d expect that to do 250 early next year but will need replacement just for the customers (train and airport taxi) and between them not spent much really after servicing

• Like 1

Direct injection would always be a sale killer for me, too highly stressed system even if Toyota does it better than the rest. Simpler is always better long term 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies and really good information.ive not seen any 1.6 petrols in the years I'm looking at so my choice is a 1.8 hybrid or the 1.2 petrol there is one of each local so going to look at both them next week.the hybrid is being sold by a main dealer so will be the top end of my budget so will probably come down to price in the end. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pmcf said:

ive not seen any 1.6 petrols in the years I'm looking at

The 1.2T replaced the 1.6 Valvematic in 2015.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1.2T replaced the 1.6 Valvematic in 2015.

Didn’t realise that in America they still used it in the Corolla upto 2019 then went to the 2litre in non hybrid form 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links