Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which auris

pmcf

1 hour ago, Wooster said:

Does the CVT transmission belt ever need replacing?

I don’t have cvt, Toyota cvt are usually ok, but having a cvt belt it’s a failure point and depending on driving with time and mileage this could’ve cause problems and expensive repairs.
In Toyota hybrids transmissions  there are no belts, so one major potentially issue less. Toyota’s hybrids are the best and most reliable cars they offer. The only problems there are the batteries. But these can be easily replaced by most diy people, where replacement of cvt belt is way more complicated and difficult, turbo, clutch , these are big jobs and more expensive. 👍

On 7/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, TonyHSD said:

no cvt transmission belt...

1 hour ago, Wooster said:

Does the CVT transmission belt ever need replacing?

What, the one that he just said doesn't exist? :laugh: 

But seriously, no, the hybrids don't have any belts and thus they don't need replacing. Because they aren't there :laugh: 

The normal CVTs do have a belt, but they're supposed to be for the life of the car. Well, the Toyota ones are anyway.

Other marques maybe not so much, but replacing the belt in those will likely run into several thousand pounds as hardly anyone knows how to do it and normally just replace the whole gearbox.

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What, the one that he just said doesn't exist? :laugh: 

But seriously, no, the hybrids don't have any belts and thus they don't need replacing. Because they aren't there :laugh: 

The normal CVTs do have a belt, but they're supposed to be for the life of the car. Well, the Toyota ones are anyway.

Other marques maybe not so much, but replacing the belt in those will likely run into several thousand pounds as hardly anyone knows how to do it and normally just replace the whole gearbox.

In most brands a new cvt belt equals a new gearbox. 

• Like 1

The cvt belt should last 150-200kmiles if serviced regularly with fluid changes. Dont listen to lifetime oil, as its the lifetime of the warranty. I will be doing mines later this year (30k@9 years, owned for 1 year). 60k/6 years is recommended service interval.

If it breaks, garages normally just swapout gearboxes. But they are getting rarer, and about £700 for a used one. I have seen a few youtube repairs of the K313 cvt gearbox with a chain swapout. They are quite simple inside, but something i would rather not have to do. Steel belts are about £150, or you can get a complete pulley and belt and bearing kit for about £350. Most garages wont repair a cvt gearbox just swapout.

If buying cvt, Personally i would go for a low mileage cvt. I would stay away from anything around the 100k mark. Cvt is not a good choice for high mway milers, better for low city milers.

Having said that, i would not go back to a manual gearbox now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solero said:

The cvt belt should last 150-200kmiles if serviced regularly with fluid changes. Dont listen to lifetime oil, as its the lifetime of the warranty. I will be doing mines later this year (30k@9 years, owned for 1 year). 60k/6 years is recommended service interval.

If it breaks, garages normally just swapout gearboxes. But they are getting rarer, and about £700 for a used one. I have seen a few youtube repairs of the K313 cvt gearbox with a chain swapout. They are quite simple inside, but something i would rather not have to do. Steel belts are about £150, or you can get a complete pulley and belt and bearing kit for about £350. Most garages wont repair a cvt gearbox just swapout.

If buying cvt, Personally i would go for a low mileage cvt. I would stay away from anything around the 100k mark. Cvt is not a good choice for high mway milers, better for low city milers.

Having said that, i would not go back to a manual gearbox now.

Just try a hybrid, I guaranteed you you will love it. 👌

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links