Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X rear washer

glsj

The rear washer on my 2022 Aygo X was not working, and although the handbook says not to, a few months ago I very carefully used a small sewing needle to clear the nozzle (which was very difficult to find!). The washer has stopped working again. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it a common occurrence? Is there a more permanent solution?

Use a good quality screen wash.

What are you using? Ready mixed, concentrate, self mixed solution, washing up liquid? 

Most areas of Sussex have hard water, so using a self diluted solution won't be the best.

Assuming you have enough screenwash, sometimes it can stop squirting out the back if its low? Otherwise a trip to the dealer might be due since its only 2022 and can be done under warranty.

Thanks for your replies. I'm using concentrated screenwash diluted with tap water that has passed through a water softener, so scaling should not be an issue. The washer bottle is full. I rarely use the rear washer as most times I use the rear wiper it is raining and the washer is not needed. The car is parked under a carport which may allow dust to settle on the rear, so I am assuming that the nozzle is getting blocked. The difficulty I find is that the nozzle is so small and badly angled relative to the rear spoiler that it is very hard to get at. Time will tell if  this is an on-going problem.

Thought I'd try the rear washer and see if my poking the nozzle had worked.... nothing, not even a buzzing from the washer motor. Resorted to the handbook, and read that the rear washer is operated by pushing the wiper leaver forwards (opposite direction to operating the front washer). I've been pressing the end of the wiper stalk as this is how all my previous cars have worked. Everything now seems fine, except my red face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, glsj said:

Thought I'd try the rear washer and see if my poking the nozzle had worked.... nothing, not even a buzzing from the washer motor. Resorted to the handbook, and read that the rear washer is operated by pushing the wiper leaver forwards (opposite direction to operating the front washer). I've been pressing the end of the wiper stalk as this is how all my previous cars have worked. Everything now seems fine, except my red face.

Oh not to worry, I think most of us have missed something like that at one time or another.

The first time I drove a friend's Zafira a while ago, I had never driven a car that needed the footbrake on before selecting a gear (vauxhall auto), that was red face time for me with beeping drivers behind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Haha I've done similar things!

The Mk4 is the first Yaris I've owned where you had to push the stalk away to activate the rear washer - All the previous ones were twist operated (IIRC!), and that really threw me when I needed it (Up 'til then, it'd never come up as the car activates it automatically when you put it in reverse when it's raining!).

And when we got the first Verso, it was the first push-button start car we'd ever had - Didn't know you had to hold the brake down for 'ignition' and just kept poking the button until the salesman took pity on us :laugh: 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, glsj said:

admittedly yeah that did throw me, first car where I had to push the right stick forward. At least you didn't bother the dealer with that embarrassment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

admittedly yeah that did throw me, first car where I had to push the right stick forward. At least you didn't bother the dealer with that embarrassment.

Can you imagine the embarrassment if I'd booked it in for repair?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, glsj said:

Can you imagine the embarrassment if I'd booked it in for repair?

No need to be embarrassed, I took an Anglia 105 into the car workshop under our social club in 1970 something.

Asked for a quote for a new gearbox, the honest and kind mechanic had a look, and turned the cone holding the gearstick in place to tighten it up, it had been floating free.

No charge,no bother, even the turn on at the club was good that night,a tribute act to I can't remember to who now.

Won a £2 line on the bingo too, looking back I now understand the phrase "these are lotus days,eat them slowly"

And not Colin Chapman's lotus either.

• Haha 1

Getting a hire car with a push down for reverse gear selector when A) Never used one before B) The hire car centre didn't tell me was fun when i needed to find reverse the next day and didn't have a clue with never having a car with a gear selector like that before, especially when getting very close to a wall before somehow finding that reverse gear 🫣😆 as for rear wash wipers the same on first use, push button? twist? pull forward? push back? a combination of them?? 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I rented a car in Boston, USA. As is usual in the US, I was handed the key and left to get on with it. There was a large button on the dash marked START. I pushed it, but nothing...  Tried several times waiting for the engine to kick into life before I realised it was a hybrid, that initially started in electric mode only. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Getting a hire car with a push down for reverse gear selector when A) Never used one before B) The hire car centre didn't tell me was fun when i needed to find reverse the next day and didn't have a clue with never having a car with a gear selector like that before, especially when getting very close to a wall before somehow finding that reverse gear 🫣😆 as for rear wash wipers the same on first use, push button? twist? pull forward? push back? a combination of them?? 😆 

my mum's electric car has a gear selector stick rather than a traditional central one, I've never dared try it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links