Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5 years hard labour ?

Bper

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well we haven't been attacked by Godzilla yet so there's still hope!...? :fear: 

Godzilla would be swallowed by the so called 22 million black hole and problem diverted 😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Godzilla would be swallowed by the so called 22 million black hole and problem diverted 😆

I think you’ll find that’s 22 billion, a monster of a problem left by the last lot..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I think you’ll find that’s 22 billion, a monster of a problem left by the last lot..

You’re out of date - it’s 40 Billion now!😂

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Which apparently surprised Labour as much as Godzilla would 😆 how did they apparently not have an inking about the amount? or did they?

• Like 1

According to the press, Reeves is looking for 40 Billion to balance the books.  Of course, we don’t know yet how she intends to achieve this, or what time frame is planned for it. 

What does seem apparent , is that Labour have a lot of small ideas that will use up quite a bit of cash, but do not address the root cause of the UKs problems.  IMHO, I don’t think Labour were ready to take on the problems, which could mean us going deeper into debt with no forward progress.  I would love to be wrong and everything come up roses, but I’ve never seen Labour achieve that yet.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Haliotis said:

According to the press, Reeves is looking for 40 Billion to balance the books.  Of course, we don’t know yet how she intends to achieve this, or what time frame is planned for it. 

What does seem apparent , is that Labour have a lot of small ideas that will use up quite a bit of cash, but do not address the root cause of the UKs problems.  IMHO, I don’t think Labour were ready to take on the problems, which could mean us going deeper into debt with no forward progress.  I would love to be wrong and everything come up roses, but I’ve never seen Labour achieve that yet.

The plans for 40 new hospitals and transport projects like the restoring or the railway programme are being reviewed or canceled due to a lack of funding.

Winter fuel allowance,as we already know will now be means-tested, meaning only pensioners who qualify for certain benefits will continue receiving this support.

Reforms planned for adult social care, which were delayed by the previous government, will not be implemented, saving over £1 billion.

The proposed Advanced british standard, intended to replace A-levels and T-levels, will not go forward due to funding issues. These are some of the areas that will help balance the books without raising taxes. No doubt we will find out soon.☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Winter fuel allowance,as we already know will now be means-tested, meaning only pensioners who qualify for certain benefits will continue receiving this support.

Seems fair🍿

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bper said:

Ok seriously can you remember what device you played it on ,that way we could narrow it down If it helps.?

The first two computers  I think I remember being in our house were a Sinclair Spectrum and an Atari. I have spent a fair bit of time searching today, but can not find anything that rings any bells. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

The first two computers  I think I remember being in our house were a Sinclair Spectrum and an Atari. I have spent a fair bit of time searching today, but can not find anything that rings any bells. 

David, based on information you gave earlier its possible its one of these. Let me know if any ring that bell.👍

The Computer Game of Politics 1979

Hammurabi 1968, popular in the 1970s

Dictator 1983 this might be to later on

Yes, Prime Minister 1987 but this might be to later on as well

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Seems fair🍿

Unfortunately not for the pensioners who rely on the allowance to keep warm during winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bper said:

Unfortunately not for the pensioners who rely on the allowance to keep warm during winter.

but if they are that hard up why are they not eligible for benefits and the allowance? A lot of people receiving it don't need it so there has to be some form of means testing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

but if they are that hard up why are they not eligible for benefits and the allowance? A lot of people receiving it don't need it so there has to be some form of means testing.

You're right that some people don't need it, but for many pensioners, it's a lifeline. Take those who are just above the threshold for benefits they don’t qualify for extra help but still struggle with rising energy costs. For them, the winter allowance can mean the difference between heating their home or cutting back on essentials like food or medication. Means testing might exclude these pensioners, who are already on the edge but don't qualify for full support.

1 minute ago, Bper said:

You're right that some people don't need it, but for many pensioners, it's a lifeline. Take those who are just above the threshold for benefits they don’t qualify for extra help but still struggle with rising energy costs. For them, the winter allowance can mean the difference between heating their home or cutting back on essentials like food or medication. Means testing might exclude these pensioners, who are already on the edge but don't qualify for full support.

agreed but it can't just be dished out for everyone so some can buy a bigger Turkey or more presents for the grandchildren. The benefits system, means-testing and eligibility needs to be refined/overhauled.

• Like 1

And you can be sure that if pensioners were not the core of Tory voters that  they would have removed the allowance to save cash as they are generally against benefits of any kind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

And you can be sure that if pensioners were not the core of Tory voters that  they would have removed the allowance to save cash as they are generally against benefits of any kind.

14 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

agreed but it can't just be dished out for everyone so some can buy a bigger Turkey or more presents for the grandchildren. The benefits system, means-testing and eligibility needs to be refined/overhauled.

What about Instead of providing a flat payment to all pensioners, implement a sliding scale payment based on income brackets. This way, lower income pensioners receive higher payments, while those with higher incomes receive less or a capped amount. This targets resources more effectively, ensuring that those who truly need financial assistance receive adequate support while still providing some benefit to those who may not be in dire need.

Or perhaps adjust the winter fuel allowance based on seasonal energy costs or fluctuations in fuel prices. For example, if energy prices spike during particularly cold months, the allowance could increase temporarily to provide additional support when it’s needed most. This would ensure that pensioners have the resources necessary to cope with rising energy costs during peak usage times

Or, make the energy companies raise the cap in spring and lower it in autumn, nobody seems to be pushing for some kind of tax on these energy companies who rake in billions each year…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bper said:

What about Instead of providing a flat payment to all pensioners, implement a sliding scale payment based on income brackets. This way, lower income pensioners receive higher payments, while those with higher incomes receive less or a capped amount. This targets resources more effectively, ensuring that those who truly need financial assistance receive adequate support while still providing some benefit to those who may not be in dire need.

Or perhaps adjust the winter fuel allowance based on seasonal energy costs or fluctuations in fuel prices. For example, if energy prices spike during particularly cold months, the allowance could increase temporarily to provide additional support when it’s needed most. This would ensure that pensioners have the resources necessary to cope with rising energy costs during peak usage times

I think you are advocating means-testing which is a sensible approach that I agree with although it is not easy to implement. Massive energy price hikes are unusual until recently and there would need to be some facility to deal with these but the cash would be there if the savings were made by not paying those who were not eligible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Primus1 said:

Or, make the energy companies raise the cap in spring and lower it in autumn, nobody seems to be pushing for some kind of tax on these energy companies who rake in billions each year…

Yes.  They need to pay more for their inflated profits to fund increases in payments during significant price rises 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links