Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 gr hybrid

Jester2000

Hi all...

Just got car and it only has 257 miles on it I just started it this evening and the engine sounded like a bag of hammer ...what a horrible sound is this normal.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Any video recordings please ? 

30 minutes ago, Jester2000 said:

Hi all...

Just got car and it only has 257 miles on it I just started it this evening and the engine sounded like a bag of hammer ...what a horrible sound is this normal.

Regards

Peter

It’s a 3 cylinder thrash but you get used to it.  Like Tony says, a sound bite would be useful.  They are very good engines.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jester2000 said:

Hi all...

Regards

Peter

Did you test drive one before buying it?

Phrase used to be 'bag of spanners' ..

• Like 5

It does sound very agricultural compared to previous 3 pots I have owned 

• Haha 1

Welcome to the world of a 3-cylinder without a balance shaft! :laugh: 

I find it weirdly soothing, coming from years of driving diesels, but if you're used to the buttery smooth 4 cylinder petrols it will feel a lot less refined.

You can either trade it in for one with the 130HP engine, which does have a balancer shaft, or just drive faster as it gets smoother the higher it revs :naughty: 

• Like 3

I know so well how a three cylinder engine sounds as I have so many of these and even I can tell when my neighbours are going back home along the street as they climb the hill with their Yarises, we have quite few, but what have surprised me one day was a Yaris hybrid icon 21my parked on the front with engine running at high rpm probably to recharge the Battery and actually it was not bad sound at all, at least outside the car. It sounded very smooth very quiet and pleasant with the typical ev humming noises from the generator, mmm I liked it 👌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Welcome to the world of a 3-cylinder without a balance shaft! :laugh: 

I find it weirdly soothing, coming from years of driving diesels, but if you're used to the buttery smooth 4 cylinder petrols it will feel a lot less refined.

You can either trade it in for one with the 130HP engine, which does have a balancer shaft, or just drive faster as it gets smoother the higher it revs :naughty: 

The 130 still sounds like a tractor 👨‍🌾

My previous Ford 3 cylinders were very smooth and quiet

Aww really? I thought they were supposed to be noticeably smoother than the 115s.... :sad: 

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Aww really? I thought they were supposed to be noticeably smoother than the 115s.... :sad: 

I haven't been up close and personal to a 115 to make a comparison but to me it sounds like a diesel engine that needs a good fettle.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A lack of sound insulation in the Mark 4 and if you haven't had a 3 cylinder engine before it will probably be the reason, the one i use to have a 2022 Yaris Hybrid did sound a tad like a tractor when the ICE kicked in 😆possibly because it was also that quite in EV mode as well.

Edited by Eddie G
Added information
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

My previous Ford 3 cylinders were very smooth and quiet

I believe that the only difference between the 115 and 130 versions is a more powerful electric motor, rather than ICE change and only the LBX has the balancer shaft? It is difficult to find definitive information. 

• Like 5

If the lbx 130 has balance shaft then the Yaris 130 will have it too. 
These and all other 4 cylinder Toyota engines in hybrids sounds differently when they do different things. 
For example if you just start up your car on cold and you have relatively high soc ( state of charge) in your traction Battery the engine will run at higher rpm but it will be quieter than if you have a low Battery and the engine just kicked in to recharge it, this is when those are the loudest and most horribly sound. The reason is simple, engine load. And because these engines has variable timing and cycles Otto, miller and Atkinson they do sound differently when they do different things. , but Battery charging makes the worst., pure warm up cycles are the quietest. And there is a situations when the engine is running at constant rpm for warming up and the car accelerate and maintain speeds only in ev , then the engine sounds like generator to produce electricity and the car is propelled by the ev motor , again quieter and pleasant drive., but push it more and the engine will take over and become noisier again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of the draws of the 130 for me was the addition of the balancer shaft so I'm pretty sure it has one; There were already mounts for it as the non-hybrid version of the engine has it.

The only reason the 115 didn't have one is they thought the counterweight on the MG1-ICE damper plate interface would be enough, and removing it reduces friction losses and mass. To be fair it's generally fine, it's only when the engine is loaded when the car isn't moving (i.e. charging while stationary) where the vibration gets a bit obnoxious.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2024 at 8:47 PM, Cyker said:

One of the draws of the 130 for me was the addition of the balancer shaft so I'm pretty sure it has one; There were already mounts for it as the non-hybrid version of the engine has it.

The only reason the 115 didn't have one is they thought the counterweight on the MG1-ICE damper plate interface would be enough, and removing it reduces friction losses and mass. To be fair it's generally fine, it's only when the engine is loaded when the car isn't moving (i.e. charging while stationary) where the vibration gets a bit obnoxious.

If anyone with a Yaris 130 wants the definitive answer to this question, I’ll gladly pull it apart and check 🤭

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

If anyone with a Yaris 130 wants the definitive answer to this question, I’ll gladly pull it apart and check 🤭

Can’t wait for pictures 👌😉

• Haha 3

On 7/7/2024 at 9:28 PM, Dick_Dastardly said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. My previous Launch Edition (115) was much rougher sounding than our current Premiere Edition (130) which sounds almost silent at similar cruising speeds...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. My previous Launch Edition (115) was much rougher sounding than our current Premiere Edition (130) which sounds almost silent at similar cruising speeds...

Agreed.  I drove a revised 115 and it was definitely more subdued.  I guess it depends what you’re used to.  

• Like 1

It may well be quieter compared to the 115 but compared to other engines I'm used to it sounds very rough under load

40 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

It may well be quieter compared to the 115 but compared to other engines I'm used to it sounds very rough under load

When the smooth engines you’ve been used to are junk, your 3 cylinder Toyota engine won’t change.   It’ll still be throbbing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

When the smooth engines you’ve been used to are junk, your 3 cylinder Toyota engine won’t change.   It’ll still be throbbing!

Well there can be no denying that 👍

• Like 2

Yeah if you're used to their buttery-smooth 4-banger petrol engines it's quite jarring. I mostly had small Toyota diesels before, which are some of the least refined diesels of any manufacturer, so practically everything sounds and feels more refined to me :laugh: - I find the 3-cylinder dakka quite soothing by comparison :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Topic moved to the Yaris forum

First three cylinder engine I've owned and I can't complain and can't say that it's obtrusive in any way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links