Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost of pads replacement

sproutdreamer

I have alway done my own maintenance on my 08 T25 but feeling a little too creaky for grovelling under cars at the moment so thinking of getting a garrage to replace the front and rear pads. In the long distant past I have had some terible garage experiences so I am pretty wary. I am new to the area I am living so do not have good local contacts, what should I expect to pay for brake pads replacement?

Main dealer with genuine pads front and rear would be £300-£360 (if just pads). They often like doing discs at same time.

Pads only change brings issues afterwards. 
Best to replace discs and pads together. 
Brake fluid too, and check and overhaul the callipers . 
Parts can be found at good prices as aftermarket but the labour will bring the total cost up. Avoid any bog chain like kwik fit, Halfords or similar. 

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Avoid any bog chain like kwik fit, Halfords or similar. 

I do not believe that anyone sensible enough to buy a Toyota would use Halfrauds for anything other than bicycle clips.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you on face book and you’ve liked your local areas face book page ask on there , last place I’d go is Kwick fit or Halfords I’d rather pay over odds and go to dealers 

• Like 2

usually a pad swap will be a 1-2 hours flat rate for labour and parts (retail cost) £20-60 a set, if you need disks the fronts are easy but the rears are a bit more involved on a T250 due to the rear shoes

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 2:26 PM, TonyHSD said:

Pads only change brings issues afterwards. 
Best to replace discs and pads together. 
Brake fluid too, and check and overhaul the callipers . 
Parts can be found at good prices as aftermarket but the labour will bring the total cost up. Avoid any bog chain like kwik fit, Halfords or similar. 

What makes you say pad only change brings issues? I have always done my own pads and discs but most of the time I only change the pads and have never had an issue on many makes and models?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattHughes said:

What makes you say pad only change brings issues? I have always done my own pads and discs but most of the time I only change the pads and have never had an issue on many makes and models?

Agreed, many done that including me in the past and most of us never had issues until we all have some problems at some point but many don’t even noticed it. 
The problems that may come from only pads change on old discs are scored surfaces, reduced braking power, vibrations and noises. 
If you do only pads change best way is to sand both sides of the brake discs with sandpaper for wood to remove top shiny metal. 
The reason is that the shiny metal is a combination of brake disc material and old pads material which was formed during bed in process. 
The new pads fitted on old disc with polished surfaces will have no ability to bed in correctly, or at least take much longer and during this extended bed in process it is very likely the discs get glazed( a uneven pad material distribution onto the disc surfaces). , and this means one thing - vibrations and poor braking performance. 
Another ultra important thing when doing brakes is never to use any grease between hub and discs, wheel and hub, pads and callipers, everything should be clean to bare metal, no rust and no grease . The only place where grease should be used are slider pins , silicone grease. 👍

• Like 1

I've done pads-only in the past with mixed results. Nowadays I feel it's better to do the job properly and make sure all the braking components are properly flat from the start. You can, of course, skim them if there's enough material left to do that, but most people would be paying for that service, so might as well replace with new.

• Like 2

I normally buy good brand pads or disc myself and then supply them to a local mechanic and he charges about £20 for pads replacement and ££50 for discs replacement. Much more cost effective than just paying the garage to provide the parts (likely nonbranded)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links