Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who's running on Crossclimate 2 SUV tyres? Speed rating?

Nick72

I waited for a puncture before shelling out the £800 plus. It's just so hard to part with cash these days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ernieb said:

The whole tyre is designed around the 'V' construction and so there are rotation arrows on the side walls to aid the fitter. Another thing to add to your check list. (plus bonnet gaps?)

Yes the check list is adding up. And I'm a little obsessive when it comes to checking on stuff I'm getting. Largely because I don't trust the folks doing stuff. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NASY said:

I waited for a puncture before shelling out the £800 plus. It's just so hard to part with cash these days.

I saved it. Wife spent it. Need to save it all over again. 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, philip42h said:

They are directional tyres. This means that once fitted to a wheel rim they can go on one side of the car only. We need a pair fitted to go on the lefthand side and another pair to go on the righthand side.

Which, of course, but maybe not obviously, if you want/need a full-size spare you would need a pair of spares - one for each side. That's not an issue if you carry a space saver spare or a can of gunk, but something to be aware of ... 😉

Oh, and, tyre fitters are well used to directional tyres these days - they've been around for quite a while. They'd really have to be pretty 'dumb' to get it wrong! An owner or the other hand ...

They often are pretty dumb which is my worry.

Surely the tyres are symmetrical so you still only need one spare?

• Like 1

The V ones are only symmetrical from side to side but not front-back - For instance the one in your photo - If it was on the otherside of the car it'd be facing the right direction

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The V ones are only symmetrical from side to side but not front-back - For instance the one in your photo - If it was on the otherside of the car it'd be facing the right direction

I'm trying to get my head round this. Surely they only make one tyre. Which will go on all wheels. Just flip it to get the V in the right direction surely?

Yes, only one tyre, but it is directional - Once it gets put on the *RIM*, the rim will either have the face on the left or right side in the correct direction; If you put it on the other side, the tyre will be 'facing' the wrong way. To fix it the tyre would have to be removed from the rim, turned around, and fitted back on 'facing' the other way.

I've never had tyres like that, although to confuse you even more I have had ones that were asymmetrical with an 'inside' and an 'outside', which could be swapped between left and right, but had to be mounted on the rim the right way in the first place. Those had e.g. tread blocks on one side of the tyre and continuous bands on the other side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Surely the tyres are symmetrical so you still only need one spare?

You could get away with a single tyre - just so long as you could fit it onto the rim the right way around ... 😉

The tyres are directional. Once fitted onto the rim they can only be used on the left-hand side of the car or the right-hand side of the car as appropriate to the fitted direction.

• Like 1

During over 7 years using 3 sets of cc tyres I had full size spare but knowing that it's only correct on one side. Yet never failed an MOT and I was told that it's OK to use the spare tyre incorrectly but running reduced speed and repair the puncture tyre asap. They also told me that it would make a lot of noise when cc tyres fitted on the wrong side, touch wood I have never had to use a spare tyre on the wrong side.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yes, only one tyre, but it is directional - Once it gets put on the *RIM*, the rim will either have the face on the left or right side in the correct direction; If you put it on the other side, the tyre will be 'facing' the wrong way. To fix it the tyre would have to be removed from the rim, turned around, and fitted back on 'facing' the other way.

I've never had tyres like that, although to confuse you even more I have had ones that were asymmetrical with an 'inside' and an 'outside', which could be swapped between left and right, but had to be mounted on the rim the right way in the first place. Those had e.g. tread blocks on one side of the tyre and continuous bands on the other side.

Ah with you. I get it now. Not the tyre but the wheel it's on which no longer makes it symmetrical. 

As I don't and won't have a spare it doesn't matter. 

Does anyone have a full size spare on their RAV?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torrox said:

During over 7 years using 3 sets of cc tyres I had full size spare but knowing that it's only correct on one side. Yet never failed an MOT and I was told that it's OK to use the spare tyre incorrectly but running reduced speed and repair the puncture tyre asap. They also told me that it would make a lot of noise when cc tyres fitted on the wrong side, touch wood I have never had to use a spare tyre on the wrong side.

It would be fine and TBH you probably wouldn't notice much difference in most scenarios - Where it would matter is in the wet: The wrong-way-round tyre will be significantly more prone to aquaplaning as it'd be pulling water into the centreline of the tyre instead of pushing it out!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links