Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seven(ty) up

Dick_Dastardly

Managed to get the overall vehicle average to 70.1 mpg today.

This 130 hybrid is pretty damn good.

What I've found is that if you want higher mpgs then you need to turn off Adaptive Cruise on the motorway and come on and off the power as appropriate, along with reducing the speed slightly when going uphill.

PXL_20240707_145106771.MP.jpg

• Like 9

Impressive 👍 

• Like 3

I get 60+ out of my YC no matter how I drive it.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I get 60+ out of my YC no matter how I drive it.😂

That's the impressive thing. You don't have to make an effort at all to get decent mpg. I'm just in "obsessive" mode at the moment and pushing it as much as I can to see what is possible 

• Like 3

These are rare in that they are genuinely efficient cars - Most 'efficient' cars require you to drive efficiently to get good mpg, and will deliver awful mpg if you drive like a loon, but these ones will still deliver high mpg even if you don't drive efficiently - Even when I'm hooning it around I still get tank-averages of low-mid 70's!

And if you do drive efficiently, you can get into the 80's! I can't think of another car that can get up there in normal driving. The only cars I've seen that get even close to such figures are small diesels, and even then only on long steady cruises where they barely go above 1500rpm for the whole trip, but as soon as they hit an urban setting and stop-start traffic that craters, where ours doesn't. :biggrin: 

• Like 4

I used adaptive cruise on the way Back from our holiday in Scotland, when I was a kid I broke my foot playing football, I never went to hospital to get it sorted( we were tough in those days) , consequently it’s left me with a lump on the top of my right foot which tends to ache after a while so I have to use adaptive cruise, I think it’s a case of swings and roundabouts, what you lose on the motorway you gain on the A roads, trip was showing 63 mpg when I got home, but I agree, it’s a very efficient car…

• Like 4

I actually find the 'dumb' cruise control more efficient; For some reason the DRCC tends to run the engine more than necessary, whereas driving manually and the dumb cruise control tends to switch to the electrics any time the torque demand drops low enough.

However you lose the auto-steer on the dumb cruise control, and if you set the DRCC to 60mph or less and follow trucks the difference becomes fairly marginal anyway.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I actually find the 'dumb' cruise control more efficient; For some reason the DRCC tends to run the engine more than necessary, whereas driving manually and the dumb cruise control tends to switch to the electrics any time the torque demand drops low enough.

However you lose the auto-steer on the dumb cruise control, and if you set the DRCC to 60mph or less and follow trucks the difference becomes fairly marginal anyway.

That's what I discovered today. If I kept the Adaptive cruise on then it keeps the engine running longer when either on level ground or slight declines. It switches over to Battery after some time but all this time you're using petrol when you don't need to be.

Having said that, it's a lot of effort doing it manually, for just marginal gains, so I'll soon go back to Adaptive cruise I'm sure. But only once I hit 80mpg 😃 So never 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 2

I mainly use cruise control when I get bored, so 50 zones, traffic jams, long boring motorway parts etc. 

I tried it on one of my hooning roads once and it immediately tried to kill me so it does have limits... :fear: 

• Like 3

Cruise control has never been in favour to great fuel efficiency versus manual accelerator control in any Toyota hybrid. 
These numbers are really good indeed. 
I can tell that driving style plays the biggest role in terms of high mpg ans not that much the car, because even a gen 3 hybrids or aygo owners can easily achieve similar numbers, and even more. 
Now I wonder what mpg are getting those people with Yaris that fly past me like a rockets 🚀 on the motorway, probably around 50’s -60’s

• Like 4

I find that adaptive cruise is perfect when travelling through those 50mph average camera roadworks..

I also find with these cars that it’s easy to become obsessed with mpg figures, I’m constantly flicking through the display between mpg and seeing if the car is running purely on batteries, I’m also praying for warmer weather as this increases the mpg readout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Always been using ACC on motorways, constant road driving conditions, traffic jams and any situation that it can be safely activated, rarely I use my right foot on long runs, and I always have the speed limit + 2-5 mpg, the cars has now 64 MPG, using normal driving (nothing eco activated), keeping up with traffic, the only thing I do is try and accelerate & brake more linear then a normal car if it makes sense to use more Battery and regen. 

I believe that is more then enough for this car, I am happy with the MPG and the way ACC works, except some situation like a car in front of me is turning right and is not totally leaving the road and ACC brakes hard suddenly.

I drove the Yaris in France, Belgium and Netherland hitting speeds of 85 MPH but at that point engine is running at all times, you still get some regen if you brake but over 80 MPH no EV sign on the dash anymore.

• Like 4

One thing I like to do is pull a mega overtake and then do the lifty trick and try and coast the car down on the electrics alone for as long as possible as I make my way back to the left lane, carrying the momentum for as long as possible.

Cruising speeds where the car can still cycle between ICE and MG2 (<60mph in the case of the original engine, maybe higher with the 130) allow much more scope for getting the higher mpgs. Constantly driving at 70mph tends to limit you to the mid-high 60's.

But the pulse and glide technique really works very well!

• Like 4

One of my techniques is to accelerate on downhill stretches, where the load is the least, then lift completely on the subsequent uphill section and allow the extra speed to carry you as far as possible 

Can mostly use the Battery on the way down then re-charge a little on the way back up 

Works well on undulating A/B roads

• Like 3

When do people typically use the B gear option and does this affect the MPG ?

22 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I only ever use it to assist braking on descents or when approaching stationary traffic/junctions (when I haven't planned gradual deceleration very well in advance 😉).
It will affect mpg (adversely) as it causes the petrol engine to switch on (if off) and to rev in excess of 2500rpm

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Never ….

(unless selected accidentally  !)

• Like 2

I thought I read somewhere that it helped to charge the electric Battery, but no mention of it in this video, so what's the point !!!

It provides engine braking and its purpose is to assist the brakes (to stop the brakes overheating/fading) on long descents

• Like 3

I've used it once on a hill so steep that I would typically select second gear if I was in a manual car. 1 in 4 descent I think 

It does provide some assistance but I wouldn't need to use it again unless descending something similarly scary

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

it helped to charge the electric battery

Just like brake pedal! 😉 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 152bobby said:

In the previous gen HSDs, it applied maximum regen as well as engine braking, but for some reason on the newer ones it only uses engine braking.

I very rarely use it, as braking gently will give much more regen and when the Battery is full it goes into a pseudo B-mode engine brake anyway.

My main use of B-mode is if the car does that engine-running-for-no-reason thing that we have theorized is the particulate filter regenerating - B mode forces more oxygen through the filter which seems to help it finish the regeneration cycle much faster.

On 7/9/2024 at 8:10 AM, 152bobby said:

All the time on my journeys to and from work.  It’s very hilly around here and it provides reasonable engine braking providing there’s room in the Battery for juice.  I used to forget it in the previous UX and drive for miles but this new 300 revs its nuts off like it’s stuck in 2nd gear so it reminds me!

23 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I thought I read somewhere that it helped to charge the electric battery, but no mention of it in this video, so what's the point !!!

It does.

23 hours ago, dash said:

It provides engine braking and its purpose is to assist the brakes (to stop the brakes overheating/fading) on long descents

That’s interesting.  When in other than the very extremes of motor sport did you hear of brake fade?  Not since drum brakes is a good answer.  

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

In the previous gen HSDs, it applied maximum regen as well as engine braking, but for some reason on the newer ones it only uses engine braking.

I very rarely use it, as braking gently will give much more regen and when the battery is full it goes into a pseudo B-mode engine brake anyway.

My main use of B-mode is if the car does that engine-running-for-no-reason thing that we have theorized is the particulate filter regenerating - B mode forces more oxygen through the filter which seems to help it finish the regeneration cycle much faster.

How can you tell it is doing a regen and is this a notion or a fact? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, anchorman said:

When in other than the very extremes of motor sport did you hear of brake fade

Never heard of warped discs after going through the puddle of water with hot brakes? And guess what, the water tends to collect at the bottom of the descent 😉 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, hind said:

Never heard of warped discs after going through the puddle of water with hot brakes? And guess what, the water tends to collect at the bottom of the descent 😉 

What’s that got to do with brake fade?

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links