Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seven(ty) up

Dick_Dastardly

It has with the brakes overheating from braking on the descent, even if brakes fading is not the issue it's still good to keep them cool as long as possible. 

3 hours ago, hind said:

It has with the brakes overheating from braking on the descent, even if brakes fading is not the issue it's still good to keep them cool as long as possible. 

Overheating brakes in Toyota hybrids it’s almost mission impossible. 
These cars brakes are most of the time cold, they tend to stay at around 25-35C° summer after good one hour use and few motorway exits or city stop start driving. Winter time will be 9-25C°  
The only time I manage to get these up to 100C° and over was when I did few long and progressive braking from 60-20mph in neutral, and once front left I got it up to 200C° , but it was stuck piston on the FL calliper. 

Downhill descends are best taken in D with cruise control. The car will maintain speed and will engage regenerative braking as much as you will do without CC , even use the brakes if necessary. And no engine high rpm , at least not until the traction Battery gets fully charged and then the engine starts to discharge it. This is when I use cc and instead of pressing brake pedal I reduce speed with cc button down. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hind said:

Does it?  I spent 17 years in testing and development of friction materials and there’s a good case for letting them see temperature. Like Tony says above, they already run cool on a hybrid which can cause them to shut down because they get clogged with wear debris.  You need to shove some temperature into them quite frequently to expose the proper friction surfaces.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

How can you tell it is doing a regen and is this a notion or a fact? 🤔

I don't know if it's different on yours, but in most of the hybrids there's a 'power gauge' which shows Eco/Eco+ and Pwr, to show how much power it's delivering, but when you lift off it'll go 'backwards' to show regen.

On a lot of them it's an analogue dial, but on the Mk4s at least there are 3 blocks for regen.

When lifting off or using B-mode, it only ever shows one block of regen maximum, but if you use the foot brake it will light up all 3 as you increase foot brake pressure.

From what I remember of the Auris on the other hand (Might be mis-remembering as we did this experiment a long time ago!), when you put it in B-mode the regen needle goes down to maximum - what would be 3 blocks on the Mk4s.

From what me and my colleague found with our silly experiments, the two seem to have slightly different regen profiles anyway - When we both coasted down the test hill in B-mode, I regened a block but my colleague's Auris regened nearly the whole Battery.

When we did it with braking, I got 2 blocks back while he had similar results to B-mode.

When we did it just coasting, no brakes, mine sped up considerably slower than his did and he had to brake quite hard to slow down at the bottom :laugh: 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I don't know if it's different on yours, but in most of the hybrids there's a 'power gauge' which shows Eco/Eco+ and Pwr, to show how much power it's delivering, but when you lift off it'll go 'backwards' to show regen.

On a lot of them it's an analogue dial, but on the Mk4s at least there are 3 blocks for regen.

When lifting off or using B-mode, it only ever shows one block of regen maximum, but if you use the foot brake it will light up all 3 as you increase foot brake pressure.

From what I remember of the Auris on the other hand (Might be mis-remembering as we did this experiment a long time ago!), when you put it in B-mode the regen needle goes down to maximum - what would be 3 blocks on the Mk4s.

From what me and my colleague found with our silly experiments, the two seem to have slightly different regen profiles anyway - When we both coasted down the test hill in B-mode, I regened a block but my colleague's Auris regened nearly the whole battery.

When we did it with braking, I got 2 blocks back while he had similar results to B-mode.

When we did it just coasting, no brakes, mine sped up considerably slower than his did and he had to brake quite hard to slow down at the bottom :laugh: 

when I have mine on B mode down a very steep hill I travel it is half way down the regen dial. I suspect it depends on the hill steepness. In my old petrol car I had to stick it into 3rd to keep it from going above 40mph but on not so steep hills it only goes into regen a little.

I've tried mine on a variety of hills and speeds - Even if I put it into B-mode at 70mph it never showed more than 1 block of regen.

If yours is the new one it might have been changed though, as it honestly makes no sense not to maximise regen under B-mode! I always wondered if it was a bug that would only be fixed in a model update.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I've tried mine on a variety of hills and speeds - Even if I put it into B-mode at 70mph it never showed more than 1 block of regen.

If yours is the new one it might have been changed though, as it honestly makes no sense not to maximise regen under B-mode! I always wondered if it was a bug that would only be fixed in a model update.

They are all the same and behave the same. The difference perhaps it’s only because of the digital vs analog power meter. 
In B mode Auris and Prius does 1/3 of total regen while if you press the brake pedal can go max out. The cruise control is totally different and can add extra regenerative braking, down to half way or even more depending on how steep is the descend. 

Huh, odd, in the past Prius and Auris owners have been adamant that they get full regen in B-mode :confused1: 

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Huh, odd, in the past Prius and Auris owners have been adamant that they get full regen in B-mode :confused1: 

I can only offer opinion on my car not the Yaris. 
speeds under 70 are best for EV mode (hybrid) n B

those old skool enough to remember the gen2 prius Battery meter i used to get blue to green regularly on hills in B mode

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest milestone reached - 72.5mpg indicated 

Reckon 75mpg is achievable but beyond that might be a struggle. Consistently getting 79 - 90 mpg averages for journeys though so who knows 

PXL_20240802_194532012.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/10/2024 at 6:07 PM, Cyker said:

From what me and my colleague found with our silly experiments, the two seem to have slightly different regen profiles anyway - When we both coasted down the test hill in B-mode, I regened a block but my colleague's Auris regened nearly the whole battery.

Right, old post but I’ve been up Scotland all week!  I thought you were referring to GPF regeneration which is something quite different.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oooh how's it up there? Cooler or more humid? :unsure: Hope you're enjoying the stunning landscape! :thumbsup: 

I've always fancied going up there one day when I'm less of a wage slave, if only just to explore the roads and maybe sample some delicacies I've heard of such as the Dip Fr'ad Maahs Bar :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oooh how's it up there? Cooler or more humid? :unsure: Hope you're enjoying the stunning landscape! :thumbsup: 

I've always fancied going up there one day when I'm less of a wage slave, if only just to explore the roads and maybe sample some delicacies I've heard of such as the Dip Fr'ad Maahs Bar :whistling1: :laugh: 

I’m back now as Arnie might say.  It was a very good week weather wise, I fitted dashcams in my mate’s Urban Cruiser and Lexus RX (you know I like to have the odd dash out) and we drove the scenic way back through the Cairngorms, had a brew with kingy at Balmoral (wouldn’t let me have the dash out of the roller) and stayed in Beattock on the way back.   The UX now has 2000 miles on as a result.  First job on return was to remove all the crud and dead flies off it.  Even had a Typhoon jet stuck in the grill as we stayed at Lossiemouth.

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0960.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m nowhere near 70 but it’s an improvement on the 250h.  It’s not as good economically on the motorway as it is on urban roads so this was a bad trip.  I scuttled between my mate’s house in Nairn and our digs in Lossiemouth at mid sixties but this is on the way up.

IMG_0980.png

• Like 2

By the way, I had all 3.0 safety stuff switched on while on the motorway.  I’m very impressed with the proactive assist thing, it brakes for you in traffic and most curves/bends (not the slight ones where we all instinctively ease off without braking 🙄) it also helps steer with the lane centering but I wouldn’t 100% trust that and in any case it gives you a “telling off” if you don’t hold the wheel tight enough and you get a big red steering wheel and hands shown in the HUD and the dash plus bings and bongs etc.  it does keep an eye on you though and it does notice traffic slowing down before you do if your not 100% paying attention.  It has automatic flashing rear hazard lights which I’m fairly certain saved the back end once from an embedded Skoda estate approaching at speed on the motorway in a hold up.  I had one passing car alert when I released the door when a car was passing close.  I’d seen it anyway but it bleeped and flashed the blind spot monitor very effectively.  I can see why we had a refund on the insurance.   

• Like 2

Thanks for the photos; Gorgeous :thumbsup: 

And yeah, the ADAS stuff really comes into its own on the motorway; They just need to tune it better for congested city use! (Which ironically I thought would be the first thing they'd tune it for given how small Japan's urban roads can be! :laugh: )

Having just found the display thingy on the centre screen  , it shows the maximum mpg is 70.2, I can’t seem to better this as the driver display shows 69.5 atm, I might have to risk turning the aircon off but it’s too hot just now..

Lol, 

these Scotland pictures look stunning 👍 

I haven’t been up there yet, but it is on the list. I went down to the Jurassic sea cost of England and enjoyed a lot. Beautiful beaches for those sunny days out 🏝 Mpg like stay’s around 60mpg as I needs to drive little bit faster than I usually do to avoid been stuck in between poor drivers. There were accidents on the way too so I am happy I went without any involvement. 
image.thumb.jpeg.e14aa22a0af51ff9340e032d4cb2cd49.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.625be110e7da470923df991beb72bb6e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bf65a8e0ebe806c2d3895f83230a4049.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c33b1e6d59c0735d452375eefd57b763.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.01e279faed8faecac35bee0ae8e627a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af3b8dfe898c8b8626d5776c20ae78f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa0ddfc52833566c5a3ada87b8ceb4c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.56a04ea99d97c25efb4fd2c09d4503a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7c4417d9252491782867312887ea2357.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.67273c05958f2c7c46ff2e350677744e.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, anchorman said:

By the way, I had all 3.0 safety stuff switched on while on the motorway.  I’m very impressed with the proactive assist thing, it brakes for you in traffic and most curves/bends (not the slight ones where we all instinctively ease off without braking 🙄) it also helps steer with the lane centering but I wouldn’t 100% trust that and in any case it gives you a “telling off” if you don’t hold the wheel tight enough and you get a big red steering wheel and hands shown in the HUD and the dash plus bings and bongs etc.  it does keep an eye on you though and it does notice traffic slowing down before you do if your not 100% paying attention.  It has automatic flashing rear hazard lights which I’m fairly certain saved the back end once from an embedded Skoda estate approaching at speed on the motorway in a hold up.  I had one passing car alert when I released the door when a car was passing close.  I’d seen it anyway but it bleeped and flashed the blind spot monitor very effectively.  I can see why we had a refund on the insurance.   

Re the steering wheel warning thing - I've found that you don't need to actually grip the wheel to get the light to go off. All you have to do is move the wheel a couple of degrees and you're all set until it goes off next time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Re the steering wheel warning thing - I've found that you don't need to actually grip the wheel to get the light to go off. All you have to do is move the wheel a couple of degrees and you're all set until it goes off next time.

Indeed. I discovered that also...

@anchorman & @TonyHSD Lovely photos!! :clapping:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah Scotland where it's either just stopped raining or about to start raining.😎

It was sometime in the late 1960's, three of us went touring in an Austin A30. It wouldn't climb a very steep gradient, the engine ran out of puff, two of us had to clamber out and push assist.🙄

A beautiful part of the Kingdom though.

7 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

Indeed and it is even more beautiful when you live in the middle of it. Lived there for over 20 years until the SNP turned it into a basket case!! :Jumpy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Lol, 

these Scotland pictures look stunning 👍 

I haven’t been up there yet, but it is on the list. I went down to the Jurassic sea cost of England and enjoyed a lot. Beautiful beaches for those sunny days out 🏝 Mpg like stay’s around 60mpg as I needs to drive little bit faster than I usually do to avoid been stuck in between poor drivers. There were accidents on the way too so I am happy I went without any involvement. 
image.thumb.jpeg.e14aa22a0af51ff9340e032d4cb2cd49.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.625be110e7da470923df991beb72bb6e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bf65a8e0ebe806c2d3895f83230a4049.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c33b1e6d59c0735d452375eefd57b763.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.01e279faed8faecac35bee0ae8e627a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af3b8dfe898c8b8626d5776c20ae78f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa0ddfc52833566c5a3ada87b8ceb4c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.56a04ea99d97c25efb4fd2c09d4503a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7c4417d9252491782867312887ea2357.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.67273c05958f2c7c46ff2e350677744e.jpeg

Nice one Tony.  It seemed until recently that we wouldn’t get a summer but it seems to have crept up on us.

2 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

It uses the same steering column strain gauge that the VSC and other systems use.  They are so sensitive, they can detect the slightest inputs or by holding it dead still, the feedback from the road surface will be detected.  Clever stuff.

1 hour ago, Slartybartfast said:

Ah Scotland where it's either just stopped raining or about to start raining.😎

It was sometime in the late 1960's, three of us went touring in an Austin A30. It wouldn't climb a very steep gradient, the engine ran out of puff, two of us had to clamber out and push assist.🙄

I think we were remarkably lucky with very little rain over the whole week.

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Indeed and it is even more beautiful when you live in the middle of it. Lived there for over 20 years until the SNP turned it into a basket case!! :Jumpy:

I sometimes think there must only be me that fancies a roll around the carpet with Nicola.  Oh well, everybody else’s loss 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I sometimes think there must only be me that fancies a roll around the carpet with Nicola.  Oh well, everybody else’s loss 😉

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Drove OHs Yaris Premiere again yesterday. Conveniently needed tank filling. Easily got over 75MPG (indicated) driving home after fill up - hardly real world as engine thoroughly warm and short drive, but still better than the MY20 or Corolla achieved in similar circumstances. 

Over several trips yesterday including some spirited driving to get away from numpties who have no idea how wide their cars are 🤨 still easily achieved 64MPG (indicated) without even trying. And the 130 engine is a really nice, easy and relaxed drive and definitely improvement on the 115 of our previous MY20 Mk4. And that was no slouch!

Honestly considering Yaris premiere to replace the Corolla although I still currently have a 2.0 MY24 on order. I would say that ours has its rattles after nearly 4000 mioes, though fine on motorway/dual carriageway and hidden well enough with music playing. 

• Like 7

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links