Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buy advice 1.5 Hybrid 2012 and later with high mileage

Zilk55

Hi,
I am looking for a Yaris 1.5 hybrid on a budget for a friend. I owned a  2012 CT200H 1.8 hybrid with 190000 miles on it that was in perfect condition ( engine and gearbox ).

Now I see a 2015 Yaris 1.5 hybrid advertised with 154000 miles on it. 

Are there members who have experience with this kind of MILEAGE? How long can the engine / gearbox / Battery last on average? I don't pin anyone on it 😉

Maintenance is crucial, if it's had all fluids changed preferably more often than the manufacturer recommendations and used for plenty of long journeys rather than short runs there's a chance it's ok. Battery has a certain lifetime based on age as well as discharge cycles but should have a few years left, it's not the end of the world if it needs a Battery anyway and the rest is mint 

• Like 2

Thanks for the answer. Yes, i always do fluids more often, thats a good advice for everyone :)

Do you perhaps know the differences between the 2015 1.5 hybrid engine / gearbox compared to lets say the 2015 1.8 engine and gearbox that are in the Prius ?

Other known issues on the 1.5 hybrid like injector problems? How is the head gasket?

And about the Battery, is it the same technique but only smaller capacity? 

Sorry for all the questions :)

19 minutes ago, Zilk55 said:

Thanks for the answer. Yes, i always do fluids more often, thats a good advice for everyone 🙂

Do you perhaps know the differences between the 2015 1.5 hybrid engine / gearbox compared to lets say the 2015 1.8 engine and gearbox that are in the Prius ?

Other known issues on the 1.5 hybrid like injector problems? How is the head gasket?

And about the battery, is it the same technique but only smaller capacity? 

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

Hi, 

everything is very similar between gen3 1.8 and 1.5 . 
The 1.5 just has smaller sizes, however there is a difference in the transmission of 1.5 hybrids Yaris mk3 the E motors are only oil cooled which means there is no coolant circulation like on 1.8 , newer models mk4 has that same as bigger engines. 
12v Battery has smaller capacity 35Ah instead of 45Ah in ct200h and Prius,  the rest is very similar.
Egr cleaning procedure every 100k miles, Battery cooling fan grill, filter cleaning. 
Head gasket in these cars aren’t an issue, not even in 1.8 here in uk. 
The problems Americans has with head gaskets aren’t as a result of bad gaskets or water pumps, it is because how these were driven. 
Too much hard accelerations will blow any engine head gasket with the time and mileage. People don’t realise that pushing your car to accelerate fast every single time or maintain high speeds increases dramatically engine boost and pressure in the combustion, all that leads to blown head gasket. 
For the hybrid Battery any hybrid older than 10 -12 years and mileage higher than 200000 will have battery aged and ready for replacement. 
Toyota hybrids traction battery replacement doesn’t cost so much and it is the easiest thing to replace, easier and cheaper than most modern cars clutch kits, transmission, engine repairs. 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

everything is very similar between gen3 1.8 and 1.5 . 
The 1.5 just has smaller sizes, however there is a difference in the transmission of 1.5 hybrids Yaris mk3 the E motors are only oil cooled which means there is no coolant circulation like on 1.8 , newer models mk4 has that same as bigger engines. 
12v battery has smaller capacity 35Ah instead of 45Ah in ct200h and Prius,  the rest is very similar.
Egr cleaning procedure every 100k miles, battery cooling fan grill, filter cleaning. 
Head gasket in these cars aren’t an issue, not even in 1.8 here in uk. 
The problems Americans has with head gaskets aren’t as a result of bad gaskets or water pumps, it is because how these were driven. 
Too much hard accelerations will blow any engine head gasket with the time and mileage. People don’t realise that pushing your car to accelerate fast every single time or maintain high speeds increases dramatically engine boost and pressure in the combustion, all that leads to blown head gasket. 
For the hybrid battery any hybrid older than 10 -12 years and mileage higher than 200000 will have battery aged and ready for replacement. 
Toyota hybrids traction battery replacement doesn’t cost so much and it is the easiest thing to replace, easier and cheaper than most modern cars clutch kits, transmission, engine repairs. 👍

Thanks for the detailed information! That is exactly what i am looking for :)

So E motors only oil cooled, do you know if that limits the lifetime? 

I did read that the 1.5 engine is descended from the Gen 2 Prius and less prone to head gaskets, oil burning so pretty bulletproof. (I don't know first hand about that) Condition and maintenance is more important than just mileage anyway as per above 

• Like 1

im a bit afraid for the Battery as im searching in the 2015 area. Is this really dead after 10 / 12 years?

The oil cooled only transmissions  on mk3 Yaris hybrids aren’t any  less reliable than Prius for example, it is a lighter car and Toyota engineered it to their standards so nothing to worry about imo. 
For the batteries it is just how things work , Battery chemistry ages and even with low miles cars after 12-13 years these are likely to fail. 
This should not really be a reason not to buy a used hybrid, but will dictate the price you pay , the warranty, the mileage and overall condition of the car. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zilk55 said:

So E motors only oil cooled, do you know if that limits the lifetime? 

The motors in the MK3 Yaris are less powerful than the Prius or MK4, so don't need as much cooling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links