Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco light in dashboard

siddharth

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an AURIS VVT-I TR STOPSTART 2009 and have a few questions about the eco mode.

Firstly, when I turn on the key, I see two lights in the odometer: one is "eco" and the other is "eco off". However, I have driven approximately 100 miles and have never seen the eco light turn on.

Secondly, when I press the "eco off" button just below the key, the "eco off" light on the dashboard does not always turn on. Sometimes, when I stop at a light, it automatically displays "eco off".

My question is, how do I turn on eco mode? If the eco mode button light is off, does that mean eco mode is on? If so, why don't I see the green eco light on the dashboard?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi Siddharth, did you not receive a owners manual when you purchased the car as this should give you the information on the eco mode function. You can download a copy from Toyota for future reference.This is some information on the Eco mode I have found if it helps.

Indicator Lights,Eco Light, Shows eco mode is active, usually green. Eco Off Light, Indicates eco mode is off when lit. Activation,Press eco off to turn eco mode on. The eco off light should turn off.Functionality,When eco mode is on, the eco light should be green, optimising fuel efficiency.

If you haven't seen the green eco light after driving, eco mode might not be activated. Press eco off to engage it.

I've had two Auris 1.33s, and just let the system do what it wanted. Details from the owners manual are copied below, and as you will see from the operating conditions, there are quite a few variables which dictate whether or not the system will operate:

Stop & Start system

The Stop & Start system stops and restarts the engine according to the clutch pedal operation for stopping and starting the vehicle.
Stopping the engine
With the clutch pedal fully depressed, stop the vehicle.Then shift the shift lever to N.
Release the clutch pedal. The engine will stop and the “ECO” indicator will come on

Restarting the engine
Check that the shift lever is inN and depress the clutch pedal.
The engine will restart. The “ECO” indicator will go off and the “ECO OFF” indicator will come on.
(In this situation, releasing the clutch pedal will not stop the engine again.)
When the vehicle begins to move, the “ECO OFF” indicator will go off

Disabling the Stop & Start system
Press the “ECO OFF” switch to disable the Stop & Start system. The indicator on the switch will come on.
At each stop, even when the clutch operation is performed to stop the engine, the engine will not stop and the “ECO OFF” indicator will come on.
Pressing the switch again turns off the indicator on the switch andre-enables the Stop & Start system.

If the “ECO OFF” switch is pressed while the vehicle is stopped
When the engine is stopped by the Stop & Start system, pressing the “ECO OFF” switch will not restart the engine.

Clutch pedal operation is needed to restart the engine. 
From the next time the vehicle is stopped (after Stop & Start system has been turned off), the engine will not be stopped. With the Stop & Start system disabled, pressing the “ECO OFF” switch will re-enable the system but not stop the engine. 
From the next time the vehicle is stopped (after Stop & Start system has been turned on), the engine will be stopped.

Operating conditions 

The Stop & Start system is operational when all of the following conditions are met:

• The engine is adequately warmed up.

• The Battery is sufficiently charged.

• The driver's door is closed.

• The hood is closed. In the following circumstances the engine may not be stopped by the Stop & Start system and the “ECO OFF” indicator will come on. This is not a malfunction of the Stop & Start system.

• Engine coolant temperature is extremely high.

• The air conditioning system is being used when the vehicle interior temperature is extremely high such as after the vehicle was parked under the hot sun.

• The air conditioning system is being used when the outside temperature is 8 degrees C (46 degrees F) or lower.

• Vehicles with an automatic air conditioning system only: The windshield defogger is being used.

• The Battery is not sufficiently charged.

• Due to traffic or other circumstances the vehicle is stopped repeatedly, resulting in the amount of time the engine is stopped by the Stop & Start system to become excessively high. When the above conditions improve, the Stop & Start system will stop and restart the engine from the next time the vehicle is stopped

• Like 1

Hello everyone, thank you for your assistance. I did not expect this, and now I am happy with Toyota owners.

I noticed that when I am stationary, it shows "ECO off," but when I drive, it does not.

I also noticed that when I turn the key to the ignition, it shows "charging system," but after starting the car, it disappears. Is this the reason why ECO mode is not being used? If so, what is the reason for showing "charging system"?

20240709_173753.jpg

One of the operating conditions is that the Battery is sufficiently charged.

It can be confusing as the Eco indicator light seems to mean radically different things between Toyotas.

For instance, in my dad's Verso, it will light up if he is driving 'economically', or at least what the car thinks is economically. This basically means a light touch on the accelerator.

(On the rare occasions I drive the Verso, the Eco light is frequently unlit :naughty: :whistling1: )

You really have to give the manual a good solid read to figure out what these things actually mean sometimes.

These eco lights aren’t anything to worry about and so are the unnecessary stop start systems that does safe so little fuel or reduce emissions almost nothing. Most car manufacturers abandon these systems. They are gimmicks. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links